Site Maintenance this evening The site will be offline for hosting changes. Time TBC

+ Post New Thread
Netware Thread, Novell - Change of username in Technical; A staff member has had a change of surname (Got married) - So I've renamed the e-directory object, and also ...

Thank Post

Novell - Change of username

A staff member has had a change of surname (Got married) - So I've renamed the e-directory object, and also the Groupwise object (Then synced them together). Also renamed the home directory and changed the path as appropiate under the option in C1.

My question is do I now need to change the owner on all the files within the users home directory to the new username and if so, how?

Thank Post
    You will need to allocate the appropriate filesystem rights to the users new home directory for the renamed userid. Ownership shouldn't cause a problem with accessing the files, however as the files are not owned by the user, they will not count towards any disk quotas you have allocated. To change the ownership either alter each file and folder properties in C1 or drop to a dos prompt with a mapped drive to the users new home directory and run the following

FLAG *.* /NAME=<new username> /S

this will recurse through all files and folders setting the ownership to <new username>

Thank Post
    Actually it seemed to update the owner as appropiate on the files automatically when I checked this morning.

But thanks for the info as it may come in useful at some point (I'm learning Netware as I go along!)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Never had to do this on Netware so I'm interested to learn. I wouldn't have expected you to need to do anything so I'm glad that you've found that to be the case :-)

In general, most file systems seem to use some kind of "hidden" identifier which you can't change - in NTFS volumes with Windows, for example, it's the SID which links the user to security and you don't change this just because the "text" name changes.

Thank Post
    The delight of NDS. You only normally need to do it once. As it's purely an object in the directory (with an ID that doesn't change when you rename it), it's all done for you.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread