+ Post New Thread
Netware Thread, ZenWorks 7 Issue in Technical; On our network we have been trying to implement ZenWorks. We have set it up so that when a user ...

Thank Post

ZenWorks 7 Issue

On our network we have been trying to implement ZenWorks.

We have set it up so that when a user logs in to a workstation, they are assigned a 'Volatile' profile on the local hard drive (i.e. their own folder under Documents and Settings). This means the student can in theory trash the PC (Well as far as they can in the 'Users' group!) and then when they logout the profile is deleted from the local hard drive and everything is back to normal ready for the next user.

However when we have been testing this, any time someone has made changes and logs out Explorer.EXE crashes with a 'the memory could not be 'written'' fault.

My theory is Zen is trying to delete the profile before Explorer has finished its session.

Any tips?

Thank Post

Re: ZenWorks 7 Issue

Start from the begining -

Netware or Linux ? version + sp?

SLED, 98, 2000 or XP OS? Service pack? sp1 sp2?

Zen 7 sp1?

Thank Post

Using ZFD 7 here to do the exact same thing and have not seen that problem before. That being said, I suspect that it's actually the HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry hive being held open due to a zenworks service such as NALNTSRV. This most often occurs if you use the application launcher or application explorer componants due to the way they can elevate user rights for certain tasks. One possible indicator of this can be duplicate copies of user profile directories being left on the machine named <username>.000, <username>.001 etc..

It would probably not hurt to install either the Microsoft User Profile Hive Clean Service tool http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
    or the Novell NAL restart utility http://www.novell.com/support/search...200%2043297143

Thank Post

I'm not the main Novell guy here so I can't go into specifics...It is ZFD 7 on XP SP2 clients

We already have the UPH Clean installed, unless we need to run anything to get it working?

Will try the NAL restart utility

Thank Post

OK tried all the patches, everything. Still the same ! (Although it sometimes goes away for a little bit and just as you think YES!!! it comes back!)

It seems to be something to do with the NAL Explorer (Which is loaded at startup) as if you delete that from the Startup folder the problem goes away.

Thank Post

arent the profiles supposed to be cleaned up when the station is started? that's how it was at one place i (briefly) worked at

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread