Shared iPads using Apple Configurator 1.4 iOS7 Shortcomings
Just interested in people's opinions about shared iPad's in schools. I see a few threads about people using them in this way and of course all the teachers have seen them when visiting whatever school they have recently gone to and judging by the amount of trolleys and storage boxes available to buy there must be a lot of school using iPad's as shared devices but why are Apple so poor at letting us use them in this way?
By this I mean I am happy to accept that I need to:
1. By an expensive trolley with sync facilities instead of just charge
2. By a Mac to go with this trolley
3. Let the devices effective wipe and setup each time they are plugged back in
4. Deal with the nightmare that is credit cards and volume app purchasing
5. Accept that the students can change whatever settings they want
6. Accept the fact that in a few taps they can reset the whole device back to factory settings
But really what would it take for Apple just to take away the little Settings icon that would prevent most of the above!
When I heard about iOS7 and the Activation lock I thought what an amazing idea but even this is turned off if you Supervise a device in Apple configurator what a joke. In a few taps a student can wipe the device pop it in their bag and we can't do anything about it in terms of tracking or preventing reuse. What a wasted feature that could have been so useful for schools.
Thanks Apple, love the hardware and the software to some extent, I know you want everyone to have their own device but you would sell a lot more to other schools if you just implemented a few simple things.
Rant over LOL this comes from two days of playing with 15 iPads. Has anyone managed to get around any of the above? We are using Meraki but didn't know if any of the paid for MDM's or profile manager have anyway to get around these shortcomings.