Managing 150 iPads using MDM
I have recently been tasked with helping a school with their iPad deployment - i'll give you a bit of background:
They have purchased 150 iPads (used by staff and students) and Lion Server which have been onsite for over 6 months but the previous technicians who were involved did not get round to setting up any sort of MDM system.
The schools requirements are:
1. iPads need configuration profiles pushed out with 'curriculum' restrictions
2. iPads need configuration profiles pushed out with 'Staff' restrictions
3. They either need access to windows shares from the iPads OR the ability to save to a share on the mac server and access it from a windows client.
4. Students need to be able to sign in with their Apple ID's and install their own Apps
5. Students need 'standard' school apps pushed out via MDM.
6. The iPads are assigned to staff/students on a 1:1 basis.
Now I support another school with 20x iPads which I use Apple Configurator to prepare and supervise - this works well as they sit in USB docks with servers connected to each of the two docks.
Obviously with 150 devices, this isn't really suitable for Apple Configurator as we can't connect every iPad to USB every time we want to install an app so we very much need to look at over-the-air solutions.
I've been looking at the Apple Profile Manager and briefly looked at an MDM solution called Airwatch but I thought I'd ask you first if there's any advice or suggestions on the best way to handle this project.
Some questions I need to answer:
1. Can the native Apple Profile Manager handle the requirements above?
2. Is there functionality within Lion Server to enable sharing to windows clients or vice versa?
3. If we have to look at a third party MDM solution - what would be the most cost effective solution based on the requirements of the school listed above?
This is all fairly new to me, and despite some experience with Lion/Apple Configurator, this is a daunting task for someone who is very much a 'windows' guy!
Any help, advise or suggestions will be most graciously received.