+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Why iPads are not for the Enterprise in Technical; Just to clarify we have had huge success with tablets for teachers, but have so far found little use for ...
    zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just to clarify we have had huge success with tablets for teachers, but have so far found little use for them with students.

We have trialled it with the SEN students so far with mixed feedback.

Teachers on the other hand love them. I think the killer apps are Registration, Presentations, and using the webcam to display things on the board. Most of the benifits come from speed of boot and reliability of it just working in the classroom. Just as an example I've never had a teacher phone me and say it wasn't working on the projector.
    Last edited by zag; 17th July 2012 at 08:57 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,664 Times in 2,261 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    What I think this highlighted was that any technology can work in a school, so long as there is sufficient willingness to make it work among the staff. If your particular school is like the half that like the iPads at this school then you're likely to be more like Zag. If your staff are like the half that gave them back, then you're more likely get no-where with them.

Personally, I'm still entirely dubious of tablets in education. There are many, many issues that need resolving before I'd be happy to jump in with them.
    Agreed, its the utalisation not the device itself that has the effect.

We still have staff who refuse/can't use a touchpad on their laptops because they're to difficult or too inprecise. These same yahoos then turn around and proclaim that touch tablets are the future. You just want to slap them with the chainsaw of understanding sometimes.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,161 Times in 986 Posts
    Blog Entries
    the chainsaw of understanding
    I'm going to steal that if you don't mind

Thank Post
    We've rolled out iPads to a large quantity of staff here. Some have purchased them through the school to use for teaching, others use school-owned ones, others bought their own and brought it in. Some staff have said they'd rather stick with netbooks & laptops. Other staff have expressed a preference for Android devices, so we've supported those too. We're gradually sliding AppleTVs into classrooms also as the software is out there to allow MS & Android devices to broadcast wirelessly to them. All the tools are out there to manage these devices, and connect them to network shares, provide safe internet access and fulfill all the other demands made on those devices by the staff for very little comparative cost. As far as I'm concerned we're there to enable the use of technology, not block it. Who are we to judge what a staff member can work best with? That is down to them to discover for themselves. Some staff can do wonders with mobile devices in the classroom. Some staff can do wonders with a regular desktop device. Some staff are lucky if they can string a sentence together on a typewriter. Others have scabs on their knuckles from where they drag on the floor behind them. Whatever they're comfortable with... *shrug*

If the infrastructure costs to ensure data / network security etc don't outweigh the benefits, what's everyone's problem (apart from tunnel vision / blinkers)?
    Last edited by Marci; 17th July 2012 at 09:15 AM.

5. 2 Thanks to Marci:

Sean-OC04 (3rd August 2012), zag (17th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marci View Post
    Some have purchased them through the school to use for teaching, others use school-owned ones, others bought their own and brought it in.
    Can you elaborate a bit on how you do the staff purchase? Do they own the device? Is there a scheme? How do you avoid tax issues?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,664 Times in 2,261 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    I'm going to steal that if you don't mind
    All good, I've been dealing with electritians and their interpretation of network cableing today so I am feeling particularly creative

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Instead, the technologies should be looked at in the context of your individual school's needs, and then the issues looked at from there.
    Or indeed Enterprise, as the thread title.

We've not been able to see any value above a laptop. So we're looking at more expensive, less useful and far less powerful devices? awesome.

Bear in mind, we're in the City of London, right in amongst all the bankers, headgefunds, etc that all usually jump in on new flashy toys. And we've yet to see a single one used in any kind of business situation, other than maybe reading email. And most people would rather use a smartphone it seems.

So, until there's a reason to get one other than 'apps' (ooooh, software ) then I'm staying well clear.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ipads are cheaper than laptops.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    350 for an business spec i3. Windows licences with ess are 30

How much are your ipads? and the emerge package?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    yes, all 4 specs of iPad are cheaper than every possible laptop for every use. well done.

Also, that completely disregards the main point of my post for a throw away line: Rocks and cheese are also cheaper - if the iPad's offering no more value, why buy it?
    Last edited by Domino; 17th July 2012 at 10:01 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,030 Posts
    Ipad = 399
    Emerge = 99 (based on no site license i think)
    Case = 30
    Keyboard = 57
    AppleCare = 69
    Apple TV = 99

All in all not quite so cheap

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The Ipad 2's we buy at the moment are 268 ex vat.

I think the standard cheap acer laptops we buy are around 448 ex vat.

Obviously Apples to Oranges but tablets are not more expensive than laptops in my experience. Unless of course your wanting to buy windows 8 tablets

Emerge is 99 per device and is very expensive I'll give you that one. But you can get a site license which (if we had 100 ipads) would work out at a much more reasonable 33 each.

The only other extra thing we buy as standard is the VGA adapter which is 19.99. You don't need a keyboard or applecare from our trial experience. Case's have proved useful but we leave that for the teacher to decide. We are also looking to provide a 20 itunes voucher so I guess you can include that as well.

All in all, ipads are a little bit cheaper if anything.

Thank Post
    Think we could do with a primary school forum as some of you seem to have way to much cash to be of much use to me.

I would love to be able to get all the equipment listed above but I have to push for a single new server every 5 years and normally get a budget for about 10 laptops / desktops per year.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,030 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    Think we could do with a primary school forum as some of you seem to have way to much cash to be of much use to me.

I would love to be able to get all the equipment listed above but I have to push for a single new server every 5 years and normally get a budget for about 10 laptops / desktops per year.
    Unfortuantly that is life! Some secondary schools have plenty of money to spend - some don't. I know my old place had a budget of around 150k pa but then there was 950 desktops. 40 printers, 35 servers (mix of physical/virtual) - had around 8tb front end storage with 32tb backend - 100 projectors - Radio station - 8 digital signage screens etc etc.

1800 users.

Thank Post
    The Ipad 2's we buy at the moment are 268 ex vat.

I think the standard cheap acer laptops we buy are around 448 ex vat.

Obviously Apples to Oranges but tablets are not more expensive than laptops in my experience. Unless of course your wanting to buy windows 8 tablets

Emerge is 99 per device and is very expensive I'll give you that one. But you can get a site license which (if we had 100 ipads) would work out at a much more reasonable 33 each.

The only other extra thing we buy as standard is the VGA adapter which is 19.99. You don't need a keyboard or applecare from our trial experience. Case's have proved useful but we leave that for the teacher to decide. We are also looking to provide a 20 itunes voucher so I guess you can include that as well.

All in all, ipads are a little bit cheaper if anything.
    Isn't it per device per year?

How do your staff write reports on their iPads?
    How do they create media, or the MANY MANY powerpoints, on their iPads?
    Do they need laptops/desktop to complement the iPads?

I see it as iPads are a complement to existing services, they can no way replace what is already there. It is an extension though, and they are good at what they do.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast