+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Tablets on a Domain in Technical; Hi all, Am I the only one who's waiting for a tablet I can join to a Windows Domain, keep ...
    Thank Post

Tablets on a Domain

Hi all,

Am I the only one who's waiting for a tablet I can join to a Windows Domain, keep a stock in a classroom and hand out like laptops, connect to the wireless just like a laptop, and which you turn it on you get... a log on screen! And when you log off it doesn't keep... any of your data!

Seriously though, is anyone else getting lots of requests to buy iPads and tablets but struggling with the fact that they're all designed to be single-user devices and don't integrate with the rest of the network? (unless you can afford one-per-student) I've spoken to a few people over the last year and lots of people seem to have the same concerns, which no manufacturer appears to be addressing.

I saw this earlier: Microsoft reveals its own Windows 8 tablet: meet the new Surface for Windows RT -- Engadget

At first I thought it might be the solution I've been waiting for, but then I remembered reading that Windows RT isn't going to have any domain support to any enterprise functionality, so that's a no-no. Apparently there will be a Win8Pro model though, so maybe that's the solution...?

Any thoughts?
    Chris

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The RT version will be ARM only anyway and also has a reduce feature set (no media player apparently). The x86 should have an enterprise version, or at least one that can be installed after as it would be a very bad decision not to release a tablet OS that does not have it. One of the main gripes with iPads was the lack of enterprise support and management. Hopefully Microsoft will plug this hole in the market.

3. Thanks to Dos_Box from:

Duke (19th June 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Moving to Netbooks PDA's and Phones (soon to be renamed to include tablets which didn't exist en-mass when we created the forum in 2005!)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Hopefully Microsoft will plug this hole in the market.
    I'm hoping so too - I can't believe no one else has. I had a chat with Apple and they seemed aware of this gap in the market, but their plans to fill it were a couple of years away yet.

Here's the differences between the RT and x86 models: Microsoft Surface tablets: the differences between Windows RT and Windows 8 Pro models -- Engadget

I assume the 'Pro' in Windows 8 Pro means it'll be aimed at the enterprise.

Thank Post
    There are tablets out there with x86 (64 bit) CPUs, Atoms, AMD C-Series etc, that will do this job. They tend to be bulkier, and battery life isn't close, but they may still do what you need. HP Slate is one example, you may be able to get some decent deals now to bring them down to the price of high-end ARM powered tablets - initial prices were ridiculous.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    There are tablets out there with x86 (64 bit) CPUs, Atoms, AMD C-Series etc, that will do this job. They tend to be bulkier, and battery life isn't close, but they may still do what you need. HP Slate is one example, you may be able to get some decent deals now to bring them down to the price of high-end ARM powered tablets - initial prices were ridiculous.
    I suppose part of what I'm looking for (or more accurately what the school is looking for) is an iPad-style tablet rather than a traditional style tablet in the HP Slate / Dell XT sense. It needs to be thin and slick and shiny with a good UI (err... Metro?) because that's what gets the kids involved. If I just give them a thin laptop minus the keyboard with WinXP or Win7 then it's no different from giving them a laptop like normal. I suppose that's where Apple have done really well with the iPad - it's something a bit different but it's still easy to use, exactly what the kids need.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,674 Times in 2,269 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We are just looking at getting some of these: ICONIA TAB W Series | Product Series in. We have one in for testing at the moment.

It seems to hit the spot as I only saw it breifly before the teachers got a hold of it and it was circulating around the school for the rest of the day. They are really cheap hence the consideration of Acer and will run Windows 8 Pro which will have nice tablet domain support (for x86). The ones comming out at the end of this year are probably going to be a bit better with regards to battery life as they are using the next gen chip which should almost double the battery life.

9. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Duke (19th June 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The RT version will be ARM only anyway and also has a reduce feature set (no media player apparently).
    Windows 8 RT doesnt have the traditional "Windows Media Player" but it does have a player... just think of it like the iPad does with a "Videos" app and a "Music" app and probably like the iPad RT will have limited codec support though sadly. The none RT should hopefully work with previous codecs out for windows since its x86.

A comparison of editions of Windows 8: Announcing the Windows 8 Editions

Regarding management, I believe RT will have the ability to have apps deployed from SCCM/SCCM Like software but it will work very similar to how the iPad does right now, the x86 version though will work just like laptops/pc's do currently though.
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 19th June 2012 at 11:42 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    Regarding management, I believe RT will have the ability to have apps deployed from SCCM/SCCM Like software but it will work very similar to how the iPad does right now, the x86 version though will work just like laptops/pc's do currently though.
    I think the app deployment only went as far as setting up your own corporate app store and letting users install your LOB applications, and didn't even let you push applications out.

And no, you are not the only one waiting. No-one's asked yet but I think tablets will, in 3 to 4 years, be absolutely superb for education; but until they're manageable, controllable and a little better integrated, there's no point. MS really dropped the ball with RT not being manageable, but at least with the surface they are properly pushing the x86 full-fat approach. As I said elsewhere on here today, I reckon in a couple of years there will be Atom-based x86 Surface tablets that will be ideal, but we need to wait for MS to get their nose bloodied in the consumer market before they wake up and really chase the corporate side of things.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    I think the app deployment only went as far as setting up your own corporate app store and letting users install your LOB applications, and didn't even let you push applications out.
    Not sure about push or not tbh, what I have seen has been lightweight but the general gist was that RT would be like BYOD where the user connects to the corp wifi then *discovers* the corp management system which they bind too which results in access to apps. They can break the connection and the apps will remove along but like I say it was very "in the clouds" when I heard about it.
    One other thing to note, managing metro apps probably wont be possible via GP and will require this app portal approach as well but I would hope both have push ability.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm hoping so too - I can't believe no one else has. I had a chat with Apple and they seemed aware of this gap in the market, but their plans to fill it were a couple of years away yet.
    That's because Steve wouldn't let them. Steve's not around any more, and, TBH, he was a major force in pushing Apple and it's products, regardless of their price and suitability. With him gone they will, IMO, have to play nice with what some customers actually want rather than with what Apple tells them they want.

Thank Post
    With him gone they will, IMO, have to play nice with what some customers actually want rather than with what Apple tells them they want.
    Not sure how much that is true. Steve Jobs leaving certainly gives Apple the opportunity to release products which previously they were prevented from having, however I think the die-hard fans are fans are brand-loyal not person-loyal, so there will still be the sizeable market who will buy anything Apple tell them to irrespective of which distant suit is the head of the company.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    And so we get to the main break point in the conversation ... do we want devices which can be locked down and looked after or devices which touch the edge of our networks and we grant limited access to?
    MS seem to be offering both ... smart move.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    Not sure how much that is true. Steve Jobs leaving certainly gives Apple the opportunity to release products which previously they were prevented from having, however I think the die-hard fans are fans are brand-loyal not person-loyal, so there will still be the sizeable market who will buy anything Apple tell them to irrespective of which distant suit is the head of the company.
    The 'die hard fans' were there during Job's first time at Apple too. Fast forward 10 years after his departure and look what happened. I think Apple will have (hopefully) learned from this, it is one thing to have a very charismatic, forward looking and forceful leader who can bend markets because of his already established position in the media industry before coming back to Apple, and another to have a company that goes back to being run by committee. His successor, Tim Cook comes from a far more 'industry' background with time at Compaq and IBM. He knows the whole market better than probably anyone at Apple.
    Apple, to their credit, changed the market with iPhones, iPads, the iMac and many other form factors others didn't see the value in. I just hope they can keep an eye on the future and seeing what others haven't. Love 'em or loath 'em, the market needs an Apple out there.

Thank Post
    You're certainly not on your own waiting, we have around 65 Toshiba M750 "traditional" Tablet PC's and a similar number of PDA's running Windows Mobile, I and the head of IT have been looking for a suitable replacement for some time!
    Keep an eye on Asus, their UK marketing manager said they were working on a version of their Transformer tablet/keyboard dock running Windows 8 (not sure if RT or x86)
    We are looking for application compatibility as whilst we have a web app, it’s just missing a lot of the frills...

Steve

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast