View Poll Results: How do you feel about battery life?

Voters
65. This poll is closed
  • Bitterly dissapointed

11 16.92%
  • Not happy but can cope

43 66.15%
  • Does not bother me

11 16.92%
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Smartphone Battery Life? in Technical; I get 3-4 days of light use out of my HTC One S with Wifi On. 3G is off most ...

Thank Post
    I get 3-4 days of light use out of my HTC One S with Wifi On. 3G is off most of the time and brightness is set to the lowest. I only have to turn brightness up when it's really sunny.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I seem to remember reading somewhere that batteries are the technology most stubbornly resisting Moore's Law-like progression. CPUs and screens and memories have all made enormous improvements over the last decade, but batteries are only 10-20% better than what we had in 2002.

It would help if all the phone firms were focused more on practicality than aesthetics though. Most smartphones could easily be twice as thick to get three times the battery and I'd glady make the trade off.

Saying that, the next generation of heterogenous processors should help - the Tegra 3 and the ARM equivalent, where they have a fat quad core for when you're using the phone, and a small single core for when it's in your pocket and just shuffling data.

My Xperia X10 Mini Pro will go three days turned on on battery power if I'm not doing much with it. If I'm having an email back-and-forth with someone and leaving wireless/data turned on, though it'll empty in a day.

Quote Originally Posted by aerospacemango View Post
    Here's my view!

On Monday, I took the family to Skegness
    You have my commiserations /grew up there

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    I seem to remember reading somewhere that batteries are the technology most stubbornly resisting Moore's Law-like progression. CPUs and screens and memories have all made enormous improvements over the last decade, but batteries are only 10-20% better than what we had in 2002.

It would help if all the phone firms were focused more on practicality than aesthetics though. Most smartphones could easily be twice as thick to get three times the battery and I'd glady make the trade off.

Saying that, the next generation of heterogenous processors should help - the Tegra 3 and the ARM equivalent, where they have a fat quad core for when you're using the phone, and a small single core for when it's in your pocket and just shuffling data.

My Xperia X10 Mini Pro will go three days turned on on battery power if I'm not doing much with it. If I'm having an email back-and-forth with someone and leaving wireless/data turned on, though it'll empty in a day.

You have my commiserations /grew up there
    Arrrhhhh... But there's the rub!

Having done a fair bit of travelling, I took our kids there, and as they live in a land-locked county (Northants) the sea retains it's mystical power to draw you close for cockles, whelks and dodgy cod and chips!!

However, it did bring up a decent trial....

Blackberry Vs Samsung!

The older kids BB's were no match when it came to battery power! Even my FWs' phone (Samsung Ace) was able to last most of the day, whilst my Galaxy survived with relative ease! The BBs had to be switched off during the day to conserve battery power for the journey home!!

Thank Post
    HTC Sensation, 2 full (6am-11pm) days with 'normal' usage, emails, bit of facebook, twitter wiki etc during the day and night

Thank Post
    I was quite happy with my iphone battery life till I dropped it doen the crapper. Either way, mobile power is a problem. The real solution is a butane powered catalytic cell rather than manky old batteries... Just waiting for someone to get them into mass production.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alexyarm View Post
    I was quite happy with my iphone battery life till I dropped it doen the crapper. Either way, mobile power is a problem. The real solution is a butane powered catalytic cell rather than manky old batteries... Just waiting for someone to get them into mass production.
    Good luck, Apple patented using those in a phone therby squishing the possibility till Apple deams it nessisary to power their next power sucking iThingy. Not that Apple designed it or anything, just have enough lawyers to throw up roadblocks to slow everyone else down.

Thank Post
    Modern devices are too bloated anyway. I mean what are modern apps actually doing that really requires so much cpu time?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I only max out the CPU on my Samsung Galaxy S2 when I'm cracking WEP/WPA keys.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    I only max out the CPU on my Samsung Galaxy S2 when I'm cracking WEP/WPA keys.
    Impressive, would love to know the software used. Its a bunch of effort om my netbook just getting all the wifi driver installed.

Thank Post
    My San Francisco used to last just over a day, although more recently I'd take it off charge in the morning and then by about 5pm it was saying connect charger. After putting a custom ROM (CM7) the battery life has improved significantly, it will last over 2 days with a fair amount of usage... (WiFi and data on, GPS on when needed)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123