View Poll Results: How do you feel about battery life?

Voters
65. This poll is closed
  • Bitterly dissapointed

11 16.92%
  • Not happy but can cope

43 66.15%
  • Does not bother me

11 16.92%
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Smartphone Battery Life? in Technical; It's a well known fact that all so called 'Smartphones' have many apps running in the background and these use ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    It's a well known fact that all so called 'Smartphones' have many apps running in the background and these use more processing power. By properly closing the apps, this will save a considerable amount of battery life.

Personally I have a small brick which does this thing called phone calls and text messaging. It lasts upto 4 days (depending how much I talk) or text. Bearing in mind I spend a lot of the time in front of a PC, I see little point requiring a Smartphone.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,270 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    A lot of the battery drain will come from the phone trying to get a signal, it's litterally shouting and trying to be heard. This can kill your battery fast in poor signal areas. How is the mobile coverage down in NZ? I'm guessing terrible outside the townships?
    The coverage is not really that bad, we have great GSM coverage for the most part. 3G is alright in the main centers but not spectacular and faster UTMS is very limited in scope. As such most of the standby and usage times hold little relivance here as you may well be on a signal two generations behind most of the time.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    It's a well known fact that all so called 'Smartphones' have many apps running in the background and these use more processing power. By properly closing the apps, this will save a considerable amount of battery life.

Personally I have a small brick which does this thing called phone calls and text messaging. It lasts upto 4 days (depending how much I talk) or text. Bearing in mind I spend a lot of the time in front of a PC, I see little point requiring a Smartphone.
    it can actually be quite hard to properly kill them you have to go into taskmanager or whatever its called and kill them) and even if you do ive noticed google maps for one just starts itself again

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    it can actually be quite hard to properly kill them you have to go into taskmanager or whatever its called and kill them) and even if you do ive noticed google maps for one just starts itself again
    I can't speak for every Smartphone, but here's how to do it on the iPhone. You'd be surprised just how many rows of apps you end up closing.

Thank Post
    For comparison on what's eating the battery life... I drove 440ish miles on friday, phone plugged into car stereo and playing music through it (Winamp app), also using Google Navigate (GPS on), with the display always on, but 'dimmed' when no immediate instructions. The phone was also plugged into my car charger which is rated at 500mA (No idea if it is, I don't have a thingy to check). It took a grand total of 250 miles before it died!
    On the return journey I didn't use it for music, only Navigate, got out the car at home and it was still fully charged. No idea how playing music can use up all the juice!!

6. Thanks to arwen from:

SYNACK (6th June 2012)

Thank Post
    I've got a large battery for my S2 as it would start to conk out about 6-7pm if I'd used a lot during the day

Si

8. Thanks to SimpleSi from:

SYNACK (6th June 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Anecdote time. I recently bought a Motorola Defy Mini (Asda is selling them unlocked for 79). It's not a brilliant phone, but it's perfectly adequate, and water 'resistant' too (though I won't deliberately test that claim).

Since its last charge, I've used the GPS to track a 90 minute walk, used the music player for 4x30 min sessions (with headphones, not speaker), a spot of Youtube, auto-checking 3 email accounts every 30 minutes and I've made a few calls and taken a few photos.

So far, it's been on battery for exactly 48 hours and still has 25% charge left.

Not bad at all.

Mind you, it has a smallish screen and fairly low power processor, but it's OK for my modest requirements of the phone. It has a power conserver tool built into the ROM which I've configured to switch off data between 11pm and 7am. I'm sure this helps significantly.
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 13th June 2012 at 11:49 AM.

Thank Post
    It has a power conserver tool built into the ROM which I've configured to switch off data between 11pm and 7am. I'm sure this helps significantly.
    I find sticking my phone on charge between 11pm and 7am helps a bit more significantly
    Si

11. Thanks to SimpleSi from:

aerospacemango (13th June 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    I find sticking my phone on charge between 11pm and 7am helps a bit more significantly
    Si
    2nd funniest thing I've read today!

Which is precisely what I do... Go to bed, stick it on charge!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 970 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aerospacemango View Post
    2nd funniest thing I've read today!

Which is precisely what I do... Go to bed, stick it on charge!
    Don't have an android based phone but I normally put mine in aeroplane mode before going to bed and if it needs a charge then shove it on charge in aeroplane mode, wireless and bluetooth are disabled unless I need them and I turn the screen brightness down

Thank Post
    HTC Desire S, running Juicedefender on a fairly agressive profile. Low user (not always checking facerbook, make few calls) but my phone will get 3 days out of a charge, though I almost always charge it at night anyway.

ccp

Thank Post
    It is disappointing that while phones are becoming more powerful, there has been little or no real advancement on battery or portable power source.
    I hear whispers about hydrogen fuel cells and solar technology - isn't it time these were brought into the portable mainstream?

Thank Post
    Why dont they make phones with 2 batteries? A tiny one that lasts at most 5 minutes and re-charges it self off the normal battery, and then an easily removable normal battery. Then I can just have 2 or 3 spare batteries and quickly swap them without having to re-start my phone.

Steve

Thank Post
    Ive got a HTC Sensation. Its got the standard battery in it and it lasts about a day. Can usually get about 1.5 days out of it if it doesnt get used but browsing the net really does drain the battery.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by markcuk View Post
    get 5 days out of my wildfire s

just turn on the features when I need them no problems
    Hmm I get about 1 day now after using WFS for about a year. Battery life has shortened significantly in this time. Quite disappointed as I have never had a phone with such poor battery life before.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast