+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, iPhone Vs Windows 7 Phone in Technical; Hi, I am just wondering the opinions of people who have both had iPhone and Windows 7 phone. I have ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,663 Times in 1,448 Posts
    Blog Entries

iPhone Vs Windows 7 Phone

Hi,

I am just wondering the opinions of people who have both had iPhone and Windows 7 phone. I have an iPhone, someone at work is selling a Nokia Lumia 800 for 200. I am considering getting it.

Has anyone on here used both please? What is your opinion please?

Thanks

hit
    Thank Post
    I had a HTC Touch Pro 7 until about 4 months ago, I thought it was a great phone apart from the Zune software, Microsoft's strange staggered updates (may take you three months to receive a major update), oh, and did i mention, I HATED ZUNE! Also the Microsoft app store was full of flakey versions of apps available on the apple store, no Dropbox app (at the time, not sure about now). I do miss the slide out keyboard, but the iPhone has been a joy and don't think I will ever go back.

3. Thanks to hit from:

mac_shinobi (29th May 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was on a iphone 4 and went to the 800, personally I wouldnt go back.
    I hate itunes, bloated slow crapware (on windows) which I had a ton of issues with where as the zuneware has worked fine for me although they need to add a better backup solution.
    Regarding updates, they are better then Android as they are generally all rolled out but some manufacturers and networks can hold the process up. Nokia has been okay so far and there is a way to manually rom to a new version as well as sending it the patch cab files and I have done both so far to see how it went.
    Regarding apps, there is a dropbox app but its 3rd party and not free sadly. On the whole the iOS system does have a shed load more apps, but it would naturally since it has been out for several years now.
    I dont really find a miss anything and still have my 4 but thinking to flog it soon.
    Things I prefer are things like the integrated twitter/facebook features which work well as well as integrated messaging via windows live/facebook. Battery life like all smartphones could be better but with 3G off you get a day and a half anyway. I generally find typing better on wp7 and the *click* noise doesnt drive me nuts unlike the iphones. I have used the voice to text stuff to send a few texts when on the move but it needs to be applied across more apps. Nokias own apps are brilliant, Nokia drive is a very nice app to use and I have used it quite a bit more then I thought I would. If I was buying a WP I would be buying only really nokia's tbh in part to their own software. Another feature I quite like is the ability to pin email folders to the main screen where it shows mail count of that folder and not the whole mail account and merged mailboxes work well.
    The newest update is on its way based on Tango, which although designed for low powered devices, should provide a battery improvement and slight boost as well as a few new features. The biggest question is really about WP8/Apollo but MS are expected to announce details next month. Notifications for apps could be faster though as they are scheduled to check for new notifications every X mins (think WhatsApp)

It really depends on how you find iOS now, I got really bored of having crate loads of apps and switching all the time on iOS, the built in parts were really the killer features for me and if skype is integrated into Apollo (and we get apollo) I will be very happy. I did consider android but thats even more derping around with apps and customising roms etc when I just really wanted my phone to work now. I do like the idea of glance and go and have customised my main screen to show all the info I need instantly without having to launch 5 apps to find out the weather etc thanks to live tiles.

Ask your friend for a trial for a couple of days and see how you go, most apps have trials so you could trial the selection you like and then give it back to him as the apps are linked to your windows live account and best of all you dont have to use iTunes

Thank Post
    There is a free 3rd Party App for Dropbox on WP7 which I have on mine, http://www.windowsphone.com/en-GB/ap...2-78e7d1fa76f8
    Also a paid version of the same app http://www.windowsphone.com/en-GB/ap...5-b522ae8fd11d

I do like my WP7 phone, currently got the HTC 7 Mozart. Due for an upgrade from end of July so not sure what I will go for

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hit View Post
    I had a HTC Touch Pro 7 until about 4 months ago, I thought it was a great phone apart from the Zune software, Microsoft's strange staggered updates (may take you three months to receive a major update), oh, and did i mention, I HATED ZUNE! Also the Microsoft app store was full of flakey versions of apps available on the apple store, no Dropbox app (at the time, not sure about now). I do miss the slide out keyboard, but the iPhone has been a joy and don't think I will ever go back.
    Might be locked in with the iPhone / iOS ecosystem / os and you can't program / code on iOS unless you pay for the developer account ( think that is correct ) although I don't code any apps for iOS anyway as seems to be so many that it is easier to find an app and install it then having to code any for iOS

With android it's open so you can code your own apps if you want and you are not tied into iTunes and you can use double twist but I have been an iPhone user for quite some time , using it with iTunes on OS X ( which seems to work better then the windows version of iTunes )

I use it for what it is and does so phone, texting, music / videos, web browsing a little and checking emails. Like yourself as far as the android side - my O.H has tried a few and I've had a bit of a play but I still prefer the iPhone over android, don't get me wrong there are some nice features such as the sat nav ( google beta afaik ) and also when texting you get 4 options or so of possible words and you can select which word you want to use, they are only minor things anyway.
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 29th May 2012 at 05:56 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread