+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Tablets in education demos in Technical; We have a member of staff in our school who is very pro Apple and wants to bring an Apple ...

Thank Post

Tablets in education demos

We have a member of staff in our school who is very pro Apple and wants to bring an Apple rep in to demo the use of iPads in school to our SLT. I have to say that I am not a huge fan of Apple and in general I am still sceptical about the use of tablets of any kind being used heavily in schools. I think the technology to manage these devices and integrate them in to our other systems is not yet mature and we would end up with a very expensive white elephant. That said I am all for using the right tool for the right job.

Anyway, to the point. I would like to be able to have a demo from someone about the use of Android & Windows tablets in schools as well as Apple. I want to make sure that SLT see that there are alternatives to Apple. Does anyone know of a company which could demo any or all of the various tablet technologies for use in a school?

Thank Post
    I totally agree with you. As a member of the dark side (an assistant principal, used to be head of ICT) I spend a lot of time asking people to justify the huge percentage proposed spend of IT budgets on iPads related to value for money and educational impact and value. After they have waffled for 10 minutes they usually end up actually saying nothing. I ensure every major ICT purchase has maximum educational benefit for as many students as possible.

We are trialling 7" and 10" android 4 tablets. ICS has made such a difference. We have been very impressed with initial trials. The ability to create custom ROMS and export them to microSD gives you an instant cloning support sustem and with the 7" costing £50 and the 10" £120 there is a simple argument straight away.

Combine with this device things get exciting McTiVia - Bring EVERYTHING on your Mac to HDTV without wire

If all else fails ask the apple demo to demonstrate the use of MyMaths then they will be stuffed. The lack of flash support is a major major limitation. Where Apple will continue to compete with Google and Microsoft and make things difficult for their products. Android with its open marketplace will have support for all.

3. 2 Thanks to JLunn:

bossman (3rd May 2012), sjatkn (4th May 2012)

Thank Post
    I totally agree with you. As a member of the dark side (an assistant principal, used to be head of ICT) I spend a lot of time asking people to justify
    You ask for a serious 'business case' that considers educational value?!?

:: gasp :: faint :: thud ::

Well pat yourself on the back because I'm getting a little weary of schools where despite the economic gloom the case very obviously reduces to: School X has Y, so we must have Y too. And on a really bad day I suspect it goes something like this: Shiny! Me want!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post
    And on a really bad day I suspect it goes something like this: Shiny! Me want!
    This is exactly my problem, a member of SLT is very vocal about the use of Apple kit. As soon as Apple bring out something shiny and new we must purchase loads of them. They don't spend any time thinking about how they will be used or even what for, they just want them as the schools expense rather than their own.

My plan if we can pull it off is to have three companies demonstrate the three types of tablets in the same meeting. That way we can see which one at least as far as the demo goes will be the best for us. It will then be obvious about which can do some things and not others.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread