+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Connecting iPads to whiteboards in Technical; Originally Posted by caffrey Shame there's no airplay for linux, be nice to have a headless raspberry pi that could ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,397 Times in 1,773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by caffrey View Post
    Shame there's no airplay for linux, be nice to have a headless raspberry pi that could do it.
    wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=AirPlay
    www.raspberrypi.org/archives/tag/xbmc
    xbian.org/

Thank Post
    I know about xbmc, but that doesn't support mirroring. Also i'd rather not have a full xbmc distro on there, just a simple quick booting airserver kind've like a ATV without an interface.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SovietRussia View Post
    We had to sort all our port issues anyway as we use Profile Manager (for my stress levels to increase :P) to manage them, so the ports HAVE to be open for APNS to connect.

Thing that is annoying is according to Apple Spec, the ATVs have to be plugged into a visual display at the same time as apple configuring them, how annoying.

If anyone can confirm or deny that, would be a big help!

APNS has nothing to do with Airplay or bonjour auto discovery service..........

Thank Post
    Just an update to say I have installed Reflector (formerly Reflection) on two staff PCs and the teachers are loving it so far. Takes about 5 minutes to install and another couple of minutes to show the teacher how to connect. So far they are happily using the trial version, which cuts out after 10 minutes, but it looks like we will be looking to buy this soon. I looked at AirServer, but it only works with later than Vista and we still have some XP machines. We are about to try it with multiple connections so will post again when we've done so.

Reflector - AirPlay mirror your iPhone or iPad to any Mac or PC, wirelessly.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    On Tuesday Air Server was working perfectly but yesterday it refused to run coming up with a message saying that one of the ports it needed I think it was 7000) was already in use by another device. How can I establish what is hogging that port?

Quote Originally Posted by speckytecky View Post
    I have ended up going for the Air Server as it works - PERFECTLY and we have all the licences we need (13 PC and 1 MAC) for well under 50! Fabulous.

Having spend over something like 750 for 3 ATVs with HDMI to VGA converters and found the flipping things at best unreliable I just wish I'd discovered the Air Server before. Not sure what to do with those ATV rigs now?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by speckytecky View Post
    On Tuesday Air Server was working perfectly but yesterday it refused to run coming up with a message saying that one of the ports it needed I think it was 7000) was already in use by another device. How can I establish what is hogging that port?
    If you have user switching enabled and you have switched from a user with AirServer active it will attempt to run a further version on the same port... and obviously fail

Thank Post
    I've only skimmed over the thread but maybe someone in this thread can help me here....
    Teacher wants to use his ipad with his projector, i can't do that over apple tv because the wireless and the wired networks are on two different subnets and he doens't want to sit near the projector with it cabled because he wants to move around, what are my options?

surely there must be a simple device pairing solution to this?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    I've only skimmed over the thread but maybe someone in this thread can help me here....
    Teacher wants to use his ipad with his projector, i can't do that over apple tv because the wireless and the wired networks are on two different subnets and he doens't want to sit near the projector with it cabled because he wants to move around, what are my options?

Also having this issue. HALP.

Thank Post

Why don't you just configure the switch port the projector (computer) is plugged into onto the same VLAN as the WiFi? That's what we do. A VLAN can have both wired and wireless traffic on it...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    Why don't you just configure the switch port the projector (computer) is plugged into onto the same VLAN as the WiFi? That's what we do. A VLAN can have both wired and wireless traffic on it...
    I'd see that as a work around rather than a solution, work arounds are fine as temporary measures but more permanent solutions were needed.

I ended up adding Aruba Clearpass to our current Aruba wireless setup, works a treat, i can individually assign users devices based on various thing such as location, device type etc, as well as a whole host of other functionality that I'm yet to really touch on, quite an impressive bit of kit.....albeit not cheap, but certainly a big boost to our BYOD capabilities.

Thank Post
    I'd see that as a work around rather than a solution, work arounds are fine as temporary measures but more permanent solutions were needed.

I ended up adding Aruba Clearpass to our current Aruba wireless setup, works a treat, i can individually assign users devices based on various thing such as location, device type etc, as well as a whole host of other functionality that I'm yet to really touch on, quite an impressive bit of kit.....albeit not cheap, but certainly a big boost to our BYOD capabilities.
    Every method of routing bonjour traffic such as AirPlay across VLANS is a workaround and not a true permanent solution, including those on offer from Aruba, Aerohive, and others - http://www.networkworld.com/news/201...ty-264091.html

Choose your poison. I like to keep it simple and not force things to do something they definitely weren't designed to do.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    Every method of routing bonjour traffic such as AirPlay across VLANS is a workaround and not a true permanent solution, including those on offer from Aruba, Aerohive, and others - http://www.networkworld.com/news/201...ty-264091.html

Choose your poison. I like to keep it simple and not force things to do something they definitely weren't designed to do.
    Well i'd consider littering vlans with items not intended for their location by design to be a very messy workaround, at least clearpass is an organised and managed work around which i consider to be a solution (at least within the current frame of issues I've encountered and foresee in the near future)
    Last edited by mrbios; 15th August 2013 at 10:50 PM.

Thank Post
    Well i'd consider littering vlans with items not intended for their location by design to be a very messy workaround, at least clearpass is an organised and managed work around which i consider to be a solution (at least within the current frame of issues I've encountered and foresee in the near future)
    Well, it's not really littering VLANs with "unintended" traffic since the IWBs are "intended" (here anyway) to be used with AirPlay devices used by the teachers.

My point is that bonjour is a layer 2, non-routable multicast protocol not designed or intended to route across subsets or VLANs. All "solutions" to this problem whether they be from Aruba, Aerohive, Ruckus, or using a Linux "gateway" trunked to all of the VLANs are really just "standardised" hacks, kludges, workarounds, etc. rather than long-term solutions. Each one is susceptible to breaking in the future. What is needed is a real solution, which requires a change to bonjour and wide acceptance of a routable zero config protocol, which is currently under development (http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/11...rise-networks/). Placing all of the bonjour related devices on the same VLAN can't break and it also reduces the risk the multicast traffic will start flooding across the entire network.

That's why I said "choose your poison". Neither workaround is ideal, but they are all workarounds.

Thank Post
    I think I saw this link posted somewhere else on EduGeek:

Raspberry Pi • View topic - Airplay Mirroring finally works on Raspberry Pi

The Raspberry Pi can now support AirPlay mirroring, so you could set a Raspberry Pi up and connect it to the projector. You could have it act as its own wireless access point, so rather than traffic going out and around your network you simply connect directly to the device. I've set a Raspberry Pi acting as a wireless access point, it's quite doable, and one of those mini cheap plugin USB dongles works okay. Range should just about cover a classroom, but I'm not sure how that would interact with whatever you have currently for wireless - a managed wireless system would probably see it as a "rouge" device or similar.

Thank Post
    I have installed air server on my pc at school and mirror my iPad brought it. I bought 5 site licences and have installed it on another colleagues pc. It is running but her iPad only recognises my pc which is in a different room. Any ideas

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast