+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Connecting iPads to whiteboards in Technical; The Airserver guy(s) - after a minor hiccup - are great and always release new and beta versions and are ...

Thank Post
    The Airserver guy(s) - after a minor hiccup - are great and always release new and beta versions and are always tweaking.

At the end of the day, you could always buy an Apple TV for every class

Thank Post
    For your reflection issues, have a look at the CPU usage. We have been trialling Reflection but have found it is killing the CPUs in some of our computers. I'm talking about ultra small form factor Acer Veritons, they have E8400 in.

Basically the CPU can't handle the video decoding, and becomes jerky as hell, however sound is perfect. On my desktop (Quad Core 2 Duo with a GPU) the problem doesn't exist.

Thank Post
    we have got this working flawless on our network with ipad 2`s and 5 year old desktops connected to smartboards, i have just purchased 20 licences with probably another 20 in the pipeline once they all want an ipad. Much Much better than Apple TV, and a far cheaper solution too. You do need the bonjour print server and active x on though. They did cause a few issues but they are sorted now.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Bringing this thread back to life. We have some Apple TVs but our iPads are currently not getting to talk to them because they can't get through the SWGfL filter. What is it we need to ask SWGfL to release?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    OK - so we now have three Apple TVs all set up on the Network. Today I connected an iPad with Airplay to two of them but found the connection is not reliably consistent enough. Trying to connect with the Teacher's iPad failed. Most odd and totally frustrating. Anyone using these things to regularly connect to SmartBoards - if so do you also suffer this intermittent connection problem - the Apple Helpdesk at one stage had me restart both the Apple TV and iPad and then the display worked!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by speckytecky View Post
    OK - so we now have three Apple TVs all set up on the Network. Today I connected an iPad with Airplay to two of them but found the connection is not reliably consistent enough. Trying to connect with the Teacher's iPad failed. Most odd and totally frustrating. Anyone using these things to regularly connect to SmartBoards - if so do you also suffer this intermittent connection problem - the Apple Helpdesk at one stage had me restart both the Apple TV and iPad and then the display worked!
    Hi sorry this is off topic, Apple TV's, we had real trouble connecting to our proxy with them, did you also have issues?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYSMAN_MK View Post
    There is another option now in the shape of Reflection.app - AirPlay mirroring to your Mac or PC, wirelessly. Seems to work much better than AirServer and includes audio aswell.
    Just installed Reflector (not called Reflections from this link) on a Win 7 64 bit PC. Had to open iTunes and set Airplay to the laptop name (rather than My Computer) and then it all ran as per the instructions on the Reflector Getting Started webpage. Only stutters at the start and then very good (wireless). Audio is quiet but that may be the laptop speakers, and I assume it would be louder through the IWB speakers. For the setup time it took me, I'm very impressed. Now need to look at the cost to purchase....

I guess the general issue means that we would be better off buying something like CleverTouch screens in the future, rather than SMARTboards, as I think these can take iPads as well as PC/laptops and presumably you get the full touch capability too.
    Last edited by Andie; 1st May 2013 at 02:07 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Nay - I don't see that as off topic at all @SovietRussia as I believe this is exactly what is causing the problem we are experiencing. Apple have sent me the following which may well help

Apple TV: How to configure a proxy using profile

I'm also going to give Air Server a trial run.

The Apple TV sounds a great idea but in my experience it's a total PITA. I hope to be proved wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by SovietRussia View Post
    Hi sorry this is off topic, Apple TV's, we had real trouble connecting to our proxy with them, did you also have issues?

Thank Post
    Nay - I don't see that as off topic at all @SovietRussia as I believe this is exactly what is causing the problem we are experiencing. Apple have sent me the following which may well help

Apple TV: How to configure a proxy using profile

I'm also going to give Air Server a trial run.

The Apple TV sounds a great idea but in my experience it's a total PITA. I hope to be proved wrong!
    It's unlikely that your proxy is causing the problem, you need to have certain ports open on your firewall for it to work, these are listing below. The other issue may be that you have iPads on one vlan and the Apple TV on another and services such as Bonjour and Airplay will not cross vlans.

The ports that need to be opened are:

80 TCP HTTP 2616 AirPlay
    443 TCP HTTPS - AirPlay
    554 UDP / TCP RTSP 2326 AirPlay
    3689 TCP DAAP - iTunes Music Sharing / AirPlay
    5297 TCP - - Bonjour
    5289 TCP / UDP - - Bonjour
    5353 UDP MDNS - Bonjour / AirPlay
    49159 UDP MDNS (Windows) - Bonjour / AirPlay
    49163 UDP MDNS (Windows) - Bonjour / AirPlay

10. Thanks to Sean-OC04 from:

speckytecky (2nd May 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thank you @Sean-OC-04 Any reply on this totally frustrating problem is greatly appreciated. I don't think it is a port problem now though as yesterday I had intermittent success connecting.

We have of the Apple TVs. One in each of the Art, Science and ICT Classrooms.

I was with the Art teacher initially and both she and I had iPads on in the classroom when suddenly mine displayed the screen on the Whiteboard. The Art Teacher's though refused.

Next to the ICT classroom where my iPad again displayed after switching both the TV and iPad off and on again. Unfortunately, trying to reconnect again later failed as CID revisits to all three classrooms. So far I haven't been able to connect anyone else's iPads to the Apple TVs.

Right puzzler it is?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean-OC04 View Post
    It's unlikely that your proxy is causing the problem, you need to have certain ports open on your firewall for it to work, these are listing below. The other issue may be that you have iPads on one vlan and the Apple TV on another and services such as Bonjour and Airplay will not cross vlans.

The ports that need to be opened are:

80 TCP HTTP 2616 AirPlay
    443 TCP HTTPS - AirPlay
    554 UDP / TCP RTSP 2326 AirPlay
    3689 TCP DAAP - iTunes Music Sharing / AirPlay
    5297 TCP - - Bonjour
    5289 TCP / UDP - - Bonjour
    5353 UDP MDNS - Bonjour / AirPlay
    49159 UDP MDNS (Windows) - Bonjour / AirPlay
    49163 UDP MDNS (Windows) - Bonjour / AirPlay

Thank Post
    Thank you @Sean-OC-04 Any reply on this totally frustrating problem is greatly appreciated. I don't think it is a port problem now though as yesterday I had intermittent success connecting.

We have of the Apple TVs. One in each of the Art, Science and ICT Classrooms.

I was with the Art teacher initially and both she and I had iPads on in the classroom when suddenly mine displayed the screen on the Whiteboard. The Art Teacher's though refused.

Next to the ICT classroom where my iPad again displayed after switching both the TV and iPad off and on again. Unfortunately, trying to reconnect again later failed as CID revisits to all three classrooms. So far I haven't been able to connect anyone else's iPads to the Apple TVs.

Right puzzler it is?
    I've seen this problem before in a school and it came down to a dodgy wifi access point, once it was switched off the problem went away....

13. Thanks to Sean-OC04 from:

Thank Post
    We had to sort all our port issues anyway as we use Profile Manager (for my stress levels to increase :P) to manage them, so the ports HAVE to be open for APNS to connect.

Thing that is annoying is according to Apple Spec, the ATVs have to be plugged into a visual display at the same time as apple configuring them, how annoying.

If anyone can confirm or deny that, would be a big help!

15. Thanks to SovietRussia from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have ended up going for the Air Server as it works - PERFECTLY and we have all the licences we need (13 PC and 1 MAC) for well under 50! Fabulous.

Having spend over something like 750 for 3 ATVs with HDMI to VGA converters and found the flipping things at best unreliable I just wish I'd discovered the Air Server before. Not sure what to do with those ATV rigs now?

Thank Post
    I have ended up going for the Air Server as it works - PERFECTLY and we have all the licences we need (13 PC and 1 MAC) for well under 50! Fabulous.

Having spend over something like 750 for 3 ATVs with HDMI to VGA converters and found the flipping things at best unreliable I just wish I'd discovered the Air Server before. Not sure what to do with those ATV rigs now?
    We would deploy Air Server but we want the teacher's to continue using their PC as usual so ATV may be perfect

Thank Post
    Shame there's no airplay for linux, be nice to have a headless raspberry pi that could do it. If things continue the way they are going in our school, there will be no pc's in the classrooms (just iPads) and I don't really want to rely on consumer grade ATVs.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast