+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 81
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Connecting iPads to whiteboards in Technical; The Airserver guy(s) - after a minor hiccup - are great and always release new and beta versions and are ...
  1. #46

    CHR1S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    4,500
    Thank Post
    1,578
    Thanked 482 Times in 302 Posts
    Rep Power
    217
    The Airserver guy(s) - after a minor hiccup - are great and always release new and beta versions and are always tweaking.

    At the end of the day, you could always buy an Apple TV for every class

  2. #47

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,051
    Thank Post
    6
    Thanked 200 Times in 180 Posts
    Rep Power
    52
    For your reflection issues, have a look at the CPU usage. We have been trialling Reflection but have found it is killing the CPUs in some of our computers. I'm talking about ultra small form factor Acer Veritons, they have E8400 in.

    Basically the CPU can't handle the video decoding, and becomes jerky as hell, however sound is perfect. On my desktop (Quad Core 2 Duo with a GPU) the problem doesn't exist.

  3. #48
    mikecain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Norton , Stockton On Tees
    Posts
    26
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0
    we have got this working flawless on our network with ipad 2`s and 5 year old desktops connected to smartboards, i have just purchased 20 licences with probably another 20 in the pipeline once they all want an ipad. Much Much better than Apple TV, and a far cheaper solution too. You do need the bonjour print server and active x on though. They did cause a few issues but they are sorted now.

  4. #49
    speckytecky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,505
    Thank Post
    3,389
    Thanked 258 Times in 211 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    110
    Bringing this thread back to life. We have some Apple TVs but our iPads are currently not getting to talk to them because they can't get through the SWGfL filter. What is it we need to ask SWGfL to release?

  5. #50
    speckytecky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,505
    Thank Post
    3,389
    Thanked 258 Times in 211 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    110
    OK - so we now have three Apple TVs all set up on the Network. Today I connected an iPad with Airplay to two of them but found the connection is not reliably consistent enough. Trying to connect with the Teacher's iPad failed. Most odd and totally frustrating. Anyone using these things to regularly connect to SmartBoards - if so do you also suffer this intermittent connection problem - the Apple Helpdesk at one stage had me restart both the Apple TV and iPad and then the display worked!

  6. #51
    SovietRussia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Powys, Wales
    Posts
    615
    Thank Post
    69
    Thanked 132 Times in 103 Posts
    Rep Power
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by speckytecky View Post
    OK - so we now have three Apple TVs all set up on the Network. Today I connected an iPad with Airplay to two of them but found the connection is not reliably consistent enough. Trying to connect with the Teacher's iPad failed. Most odd and totally frustrating. Anyone using these things to regularly connect to SmartBoards - if so do you also suffer this intermittent connection problem - the Apple Helpdesk at one stage had me restart both the Apple TV and iPad and then the display worked!
    Hi sorry this is off topic, Apple TV's, we had real trouble connecting to our proxy with them, did you also have issues?

  7. #52
    Andie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    794
    Thank Post
    167
    Thanked 66 Times in 49 Posts
    Rep Power
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by SYSMAN_MK View Post
    There is another option now in the shape of Reflection.app - AirPlay mirroring to your Mac or PC, wirelessly. Seems to work much better than AirServer and includes audio aswell.
    Just installed Reflector (not called Reflections from this link) on a Win 7 64 bit PC. Had to open iTunes and set Airplay to the laptop name (rather than My Computer) and then it all ran as per the instructions on the Reflector Getting Started webpage. Only stutters at the start and then very good (wireless). Audio is quiet but that may be the laptop speakers, and I assume it would be louder through the IWB speakers. For the setup time it took me, I'm very impressed. Now need to look at the cost to purchase....

    I guess the general issue means that we would be better off buying something like CleverTouch screens in the future, rather than SMARTboards, as I think these can take iPads as well as PC/laptops and presumably you get the full touch capability too.
    Last edited by Andie; 1st May 2013 at 02:07 PM.

  8. #53
    speckytecky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,505
    Thank Post
    3,389
    Thanked 258 Times in 211 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    110
    Nay - I don't see that as off topic at all @SovietRussia as I believe this is exactly what is causing the problem we are experiencing. Apple have sent me the following which may well help

    Apple TV: How to configure a proxy using profile

    I'm also going to give Air Server a trial run.

    The Apple TV sounds a great idea but in my experience it's a total PITA. I hope to be proved wrong!


    Quote Originally Posted by SovietRussia View Post
    Hi sorry this is off topic, Apple TV's, we had real trouble connecting to our proxy with them, did you also have issues?

  9. #54

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    kidderminster
    Posts
    119
    Thank Post
    27
    Thanked 23 Times in 21 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by speckytecky View Post
    Nay - I don't see that as off topic at all @SovietRussia as I believe this is exactly what is causing the problem we are experiencing. Apple have sent me the following which may well help

    Apple TV: How to configure a proxy using profile

    I'm also going to give Air Server a trial run.


    The Apple TV sounds a great idea but in my experience it's a total PITA. I hope to be proved wrong!
    It's unlikely that your proxy is causing the problem, you need to have certain ports open on your firewall for it to work, these are listing below. The other issue may be that you have iPads on one vlan and the Apple TV on another and services such as Bonjour and Airplay will not cross vlans.

    The ports that need to be opened are:


    80 TCP HTTP 2616 AirPlay
    443 TCP HTTPS - AirPlay
    554 UDP / TCP RTSP 2326 AirPlay
    3689 TCP DAAP - iTunes Music Sharing / AirPlay
    5297 TCP - - Bonjour
    5289 TCP / UDP - - Bonjour
    5353 UDP MDNS - Bonjour / AirPlay
    49159 UDP MDNS (Windows) - Bonjour / AirPlay
    49163 UDP MDNS (Windows) - Bonjour / AirPlay

  10. Thanks to Sean-OC04 from:

    speckytecky (2nd May 2013)

  11. #55
    speckytecky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,505
    Thank Post
    3,389
    Thanked 258 Times in 211 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    110
    Thank you @Sean-OC-04 Any reply on this totally frustrating problem is greatly appreciated. I don't think it is a port problem now though as yesterday I had intermittent success connecting.

    We have of the Apple TVs. One in each of the Art, Science and ICT Classrooms.

    I was with the Art teacher initially and both she and I had iPads on in the classroom when suddenly mine displayed the screen on the Whiteboard. The Art Teacher's though refused.

    Next to the ICT classroom where my iPad again displayed after switching both the TV and iPad off and on again. Unfortunately, trying to reconnect again later failed as CID revisits to all three classrooms. So far I haven't been able to connect anyone else's iPads to the Apple TVs.

    Right puzzler it is?



    Quote Originally Posted by Sean-OC04 View Post
    It's unlikely that your proxy is causing the problem, you need to have certain ports open on your firewall for it to work, these are listing below. The other issue may be that you have iPads on one vlan and the Apple TV on another and services such as Bonjour and Airplay will not cross vlans.

    The ports that need to be opened are:


    80 TCP HTTP 2616 AirPlay
    443 TCP HTTPS - AirPlay
    554 UDP / TCP RTSP 2326 AirPlay
    3689 TCP DAAP - iTunes Music Sharing / AirPlay
    5297 TCP - - Bonjour
    5289 TCP / UDP - - Bonjour
    5353 UDP MDNS - Bonjour / AirPlay
    49159 UDP MDNS (Windows) - Bonjour / AirPlay
    49163 UDP MDNS (Windows) - Bonjour / AirPlay

  12. #56

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    kidderminster
    Posts
    119
    Thank Post
    27
    Thanked 23 Times in 21 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by speckytecky View Post
    Thank you @Sean-OC-04 Any reply on this totally frustrating problem is greatly appreciated. I don't think it is a port problem now though as yesterday I had intermittent success connecting.

    We have of the Apple TVs. One in each of the Art, Science and ICT Classrooms.

    I was with the Art teacher initially and both she and I had iPads on in the classroom when suddenly mine displayed the screen on the Whiteboard. The Art Teacher's though refused.

    Next to the ICT classroom where my iPad again displayed after switching both the TV and iPad off and on again. Unfortunately, trying to reconnect again later failed as CID revisits to all three classrooms. So far I haven't been able to connect anyone else's iPads to the Apple TVs.

    Right puzzler it is?
    I've seen this problem before in a school and it came down to a dodgy wifi access point, once it was switched off the problem went away....

  13. Thanks to Sean-OC04 from:

    speckytecky (2nd May 2013)

  14. #57
    SovietRussia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Powys, Wales
    Posts
    615
    Thank Post
    69
    Thanked 132 Times in 103 Posts
    Rep Power
    43
    We had to sort all our port issues anyway as we use Profile Manager (for my stress levels to increase :P) to manage them, so the ports HAVE to be open for APNS to connect.

    Thing that is annoying is according to Apple Spec, the ATVs have to be plugged into a visual display at the same time as apple configuring them, how annoying.

    If anyone can confirm or deny that, would be a big help!

  15. Thanks to SovietRussia from:

    speckytecky (2nd May 2013)

  16. #58
    speckytecky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,505
    Thank Post
    3,389
    Thanked 258 Times in 211 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    110
    I have ended up going for the Air Server as it works - PERFECTLY and we have all the licences we need (13 PC and 1 MAC) for well under 50! Fabulous.

    Having spend over something like 750 for 3 ATVs with HDMI to VGA converters and found the flipping things at best unreliable I just wish I'd discovered the Air Server before. Not sure what to do with those ATV rigs now?

  17. #59
    SovietRussia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Powys, Wales
    Posts
    615
    Thank Post
    69
    Thanked 132 Times in 103 Posts
    Rep Power
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by speckytecky View Post
    I have ended up going for the Air Server as it works - PERFECTLY and we have all the licences we need (13 PC and 1 MAC) for well under 50! Fabulous.

    Having spend over something like 750 for 3 ATVs with HDMI to VGA converters and found the flipping things at best unreliable I just wish I'd discovered the Air Server before. Not sure what to do with those ATV rigs now?
    We would deploy Air Server but we want the teacher's to continue using their PC as usual so ATV may be perfect

  18. #60

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,026
    Thank Post
    105
    Thanked 85 Times in 64 Posts
    Rep Power
    48
    Shame there's no airplay for linux, be nice to have a headless raspberry pi that could do it. If things continue the way they are going in our school, there will be no pc's in the classrooms (just iPads) and I don't really want to rely on consumer grade ATVs.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. connect mac to ipad via terminal
    By kay07949 in forum Mac
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 4th January 2012, 05:19 PM
  2. Connect printer to a machine off the network
    By andrew_91090 in forum Windows
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 21st October 2008, 03:56 PM
  3. Dual PSU's - connect both to UPS?
    By sidewinder in forum Hardware
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 7th May 2007, 10:54 PM
  4. Could not connect printer to LPR Port
    By CM786 in forum Windows
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 13th April 2007, 09:37 AM
  5. Connect mac to xp box ?
    By mac_shinobi in forum Mac
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 7th February 2006, 11:43 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •