+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Arguments for and against ipads - need info in a hurry in Technical; Originally Posted by synaesthesia If there's any information I can provide, I'll be more than happy to speak to you ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    If there's any information I can provide, I'll be more than happy to speak to you about it, I'm rather proud of the school's achievements.
    Sounds like a case study waiting to happen ... I might inflict a few other local folk on you ;-)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hehe, don't rush just yet though, got enough of our own stuff to deal with!
    Besides, note I didn't have a huge amount to do with it - just made sure they could do what they wanted to achieve, sourced things and got them set up. The real achievements are what the school/staff themselves did, and of course the real test of it's implementation will come only in time - will they still be being used in a year's time, or will they be consigned to the back of the cupboard with the DigiBlue cameras and Betamax tapes

Thank Post
    I've got a printed document around here somewhere with around 40-50 pages of apps, with their potential uses in different subjects etc... within an SEN establishment.
    If you mean - this app looks good - oh - someone with SEN will be able to work it - it'll help them with X or Y then this is true.

But this is true about any practically any activity - computer based or not

Theres nothing special that a pad gives to SEN education apart from its usually easier to point and click rather than operate a mouse or trackball.

I think they could be quite useful for helping with handwriting - I myself found a lovely app that allowed you to trace over letters - looked good then teacher said - ah - we don't use that method (something to do with the way the tails curl/don't curl!!!)

They are just not cheap enough yet to be value for money but I fully understand that some people want to use them and are prepared to pay the premium

Si

4. Thanks to SimpleSi from:

GrumbleDook (18th April 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    If you mean - this app looks good - oh - someone with SEN will be able to work it - it'll help them with X or Y then this is true.
    No, it is by an SEN division of an education dept in Australia I believe. I'll see if I can find it.

But this is true about any practically any activity - computer based or not

Theres nothing special that a pad gives to SEN education apart from its usually easier to point and click rather than operate a mouse or trackball.
    Which considering the number of SEN students with motor skills problems, is a major boon.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 748 Posts
    @witch:

The video capture quality of the IPad2 is not that great as we tried to use it for our PE department here and the photo quality is quite poor also, we found that using the little flick camera's which had the led screen on the back much better quality and we could plug them straight into the netbooks and run the videos on the larger screen in a much better quality, the kids can then upload straight to their work area and then do what they will with them as these are built onto the network.

It should also be mentioned that the teachers have to be very creative in what they teach through the IPads and to be fair there are not that many creative teachers around who know what to do with the IPads to get the best out of them, this leads to the kids getting bored with using them and just use them for disruptive purposes as has been mentioned on previous posts.

7. 2 Thanks to bossman:

SimpleSi (18th April 2012), witch (10th May 2012)

Thank Post
    iPAD's are for home use and not for use in business/education. They a big gimic I think I have already seen at our place the time it is taken to support the 6 they have decided to trial and at the end of the day they do not do very much. If it was me I would invest in something like a netbook if you need a small device or failing that a suite of computers if the SEN department doesn't already have some. Wouldn't waste the money on iPAD's.

9. Thanks to MatthewL from:

SimpleSi (18th April 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,624 Posts
    OK - I have now pointed the NM towards this thread so I hope he is reading this - he may ask questions! I dont know if he is registered so I dont know who he is on here!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewL View Post
    They a big gimic I think I have already seen at our place the time it is taken to support the 6 they have decided to trial and at the end of the day they do not do very much.
    It's the teacher that should be "doing very much" in the classroom not the ipad. The ipad can only facilitate whatever it is the teacher wants to do.

I suggest doing a trial of just one ipad to start off with. Give it to a very good forward thinking teacher along with a google apps / dropbox etc account and buy them the apps they wish to trial. See what happens.

You'll soon find out if the ipad is useful or not. In our case it is proving VERY useful that teacher is doing some amazing stuff and her puils are also doing some amazing stuff.

We will buy more. However it is only of any use in the right hands and it will not prove useful to every teacher in every classroom. We certainly ain't gonna knee-jerk buy one per teacher or one per pupil that would be madness. They will be purchased and targeted at teachers that will use it well.

Thank Post
    It's funny, after reading all these responses, that it's still difficult to get the definitive answer! Big mix of emotional responses and practical issues. It's undoubtedly a band wagon, but that alone does seem to motivate teachers and children. The over-hype is a small price to pay for more confidence and enthusiasm for ICT.

We've just massaged the first 20 units of LearnPads into a school and they do look like a viable alternative to the iPads. (We don't sell them, so there's no hidden agenda here!) Some pros and some cons - here are a few that spring to mind

Pros
    - Centrally managed solution
    - Android based, so a much more open approach than Apple.
    - Cost
    - Built in Educational Apps
    - Group/User based experience. You log on and get a tailored environment. Apple will apparently never support this.
    - It supports Flash
    - Alternatives to native apps. (Keyboard, browser, email client etc., can all be changed.)
    - Easy data exchange using USB flash drives.

Cons
    - Educational apps on marketplace are not as extensive as Apple community.
    - No rear facing camera - BIG disappointment that they need to address. Multimedia is one of the key reasons the schools are looking at iPads.
    - All a bit Beta at the moment, but very promising!
    Last edited by conedltd; 10th May 2012 at 10:12 AM.

Thank Post
    I dont know if it would be of any interest to any of you but we have been speaking with an Apple reseller recently called Square group they have dealt a lot in the education sector and have a history of providing solutions into it.

Anyway, they have a forthcoming seminar on the 16th May, this is a very 'pro' iPad event, but could be a chance to hear about the use of iPads from a few different speakers, Ruckus are also attending to speak about ensuring Wi-Fi connectivity.

More information is on their website, link is here

As I said it will be a very PRO iPad in education event and may not be to everyone's interest

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234