+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Arguments for and against ipads - need info in a hurry in Technical; Originally Posted by localzuk There are hundreds of apps for SEN, I've got a printed document around here somewhere with ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,624 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    There are hundreds of apps for SEN, I've got a printed document around here somewhere with around 40-50 pages of apps, with their potential uses in different subjects etc... within an SEN establishment. Our special school is likely going to be buying a trolley full of them soon, after a successful trial with one per class.
    Are you going to tie them down in some way? Network-wise, I mean, although physically may be a good idea!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Think about it like this - Apple decided that Flash wasn't stable enough, so dropped support and went with HTML5.

There are fundamental problems with this however. HTML5 as a standard still isn't complete, so if you have a website which is fully flashed based, you're essentially asking software developers to work with an uncomplete standard. It of course costs money to re-work everything, which is why many educational based websites (for example) haven't made the change as yet.

Also, not all browsers support the same flavours and additional features of HTML5, so cross browser support is a headache also. Flash is cross browser supported, which is why it's still the number 1 choice.

We're definitely in a transition period between Flash and HTML5, very much like 32/64Bit versions of Windows, but at least you can still run most 32Bit applications on a 64Bit OS. The way to support Flash and HTML5 is to have essentially two separate versions. Until the HTML5 standard is fully complete to an official version 1 for example, many companies quite rightly will hold back.
    Same as Wireless N, took a few years for it to become Standardized, so am hoping HTML 5 will be the same at some point, obviously not something that will happen straight away ( If at all ) ??

Are there other options other then Flash excluding shockwave , possibly Java ?

Thank Post
    Lots of Apps available here
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...oTEw0MkE&pli=1

Witch...can talk you through various options for management if you'd like to pm me can send my contact number. Really depends on current infrastructure and what else you are planning to go for.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Are you going to tie them down in some way? Network-wise, I mean, although physically may be a good idea!!
    Not sure at the moment - we've still got to discuss this with them.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,249 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Same as Wireless N, took a few years for it to become Standardized, so am hoping HTML 5 will be the same at some point, obviously not something that will happen straight away ( If at all ) ??

Are there other options other then Flash excluding shockwave , possibly Java ?
    Not quite the same though, as you can buy dual wireless 'G' and 'N' so your older wireless devices and newer wireless devices will work at their own speeds.

With Flash and HTML5 it's one or the other or both with some clever coding to detect what browser you're using. It really is a bit of a mish-mash at the moment and does need standardising.

6. Thanks to Michael from:

mac_shinobi (18th April 2012)

Thank Post
    I'm still in two minds about the iPad in education in general, let alone for a specific SEN use.

From what I've seen here, while the pupils love the iPad and really engage with it, they don't create anything worthwhile or learn anything of a "standard practice". The happily shoot video of each other pratting about and add effects to it, they play games on it like "Cut the Rope" and they repeatedly try and use the YouTube app on it, but what are they learning? What are they taking from it that they can apply in other ways? For the amount of effort and money it has taken to get them up & running, I don't see the payoff yet. Maybe I'm missing something, but from my POV the iPad is nowhere near as good for teaching&learning as a netbook is; but as a supplement to netbooks, they are a nice alternative form of exposing children to ICT from the "real world".

For an SEN use, I can see the attraction; simple interface and touchscreen, portability and a sense of "ownership" on the child's part when they are holding the device. As someone else said, I'd check on insurances & warranty, replacement schemes etc. because they are not as solid as they seem, not to mention the fact that they are ridiculously easy to 'remove' from the school without being noticed.

Thank Post
    Thanks guys - I think we can forget the centralised bit as I think he is going for stand-alone beasts.
    More please -
    If you think *yes* - what makes ipads better IYHO?
    If you think *no* - what would you use instead?
    The apps alone make the Ipad the better choice. Itís not the SEN apps but the childrenís apps like letter formation. But I would suggest they have tried and have some apps in mind before getting any tablets.

As a cheaper option I would suggest perhaps Ipad1ís which should run the apps fine. Perhaps Ipad2 but I see no reason to justify the cost of Ipad3ís.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Not quite the same though, as you can buy dual wireless 'G' and 'N' so your older wireless devices and newer wireless devices will work at their own speeds.

With Flash and HTML5 it's one or the other or both with some clever coding to detect what browser you're using. It really is a bit of a mish-mash at the moment and does need standardising.
    I was reffering more to the pre N Equipment which at one point was not standardised and now is, so was more reffering to HTML 5 needing to be standardised as you stated

I didn't mean in regards to being able to connect to both G and or N wireless networks ( although the down side to this ) is that if you have a wireless N network and connect with a G Device then the N network slows down to G Speeds. This is besides the point though.

10. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

Michael (18th April 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,249 Posts
    That's very true actually, initial 'N' routers/access points were 'N' only due to compatibility problems.

I doubt very much though we'll ever see a mix/match HTML5/Flash standard which just makes things harder for people like us trying to keep everything working.

12. Thanks to Michael from:

mac_shinobi (18th April 2012)

Thank Post
    I assume that there is a push for a tablet resource? If not could the money be better spent on an Ipod touch? Lots of apps are still available and they could be used in addition to existing network equipment. My other half works in a primary where they have introduced an Ipod touch for the children to use and installed educational apps which the children picked up really well. Unfortunately they also put some games on there so they could be used as a treat but ended up having to be removed as that was all they used.

So as for their use, it was good for being able to pass round the class but I dont think they have made much improvement in terms of the educational value they serve. But if I'm honest this is probably down to the lack of ownership & management from teaching staff to ensure they are used as they were initially intended. And this would have been true regardless of the hardware purchased. With staff who have a better understanding of IT or a willingness to learn I think they could have been used better so it will also depend on the staff in the school.

As someone has already suggested the question to ask is probably has a trial been done with devices to see if they can do what they are intended to do.
    Last edited by penfold; 18th April 2012 at 12:11 PM.

Thank Post
    Bit more info - the usage is to be for SEN and possibly PE - they had one demonstrated and it was very useful for filming the children and being able to show them immediately what they had done and how they could improve, etc.
    There isnt any thought to use ipads in whole classrooms, just for a few SEN at a time.
    A trial of the ipad and other tablets/netbooks/whatever (ideas, people?) is imminent so now is the time to get straight what bit of kit can do what and how it is to be configured.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch
    and possibly PE - ...they had one demonstrated and it was very useful for filming the children and being able to show them immediately what they had done and how they could improve...
    Wow, an iPad makes for an expensive digital camera doesn't it? I've got a £40 Kodak that can do exactly that, it worked right out of the box, is easy to transfer the videos to a laptop or PC to use further, replacable at low cost, has no licencing issues... an iPad for videoing some PE lessons seems like overkill to me.

edit: apologies if that it off-topic
    Last edited by Pete10141748; 18th April 2012 at 12:51 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete10141748 View Post
    Wow, an iPad makes for an expensive digital camera doesn't it? I've got a £40 Kodak that can do exactly that, it worked right out of the box, is easy to transfer the videos to a laptop or PC to use further, replacable at low cost, has no licencing issues... an iPad for videoing some PE lessons seems like overkill to me.

edit: apologies if that it off-topic
    But with an ipad or whatever you dont have to transfer to anything, and there isnt anything to transfer to in a sports hall anyway! The point is they can play it straight back, on the screen, immediately

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,159 Times in 1,597 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pottsey View Post
    As a cheaper option I would suggest perhaps Ipad1ís which should run the apps fine. Perhaps Ipad2 but I see no reason to justify the cost of Ipad3ís.
    Even Apple said that iPad 2 would be good for education after the iPad 3 launch... I don't see any justification for iPad 3.
    Bit more info - the usage is to be for SEN and possibly PE - they had one demonstrated and it was very useful for filming the children and being able to show them immediately what they had done and how they could improve, etc.
    There isnt any thought to use ipads in whole classrooms, just for a few SEN at a time.
    A trial of the ipad and other tablets/netbooks/whatever (ideas, people?) is imminent so now is the time to get straight what bit of kit can do what and how it is to be configured.
    I can see uses in PE. The school where I'm governor is using iPod touch widely in PE, with BTEC at KS4 and 5 courses, for filming, photographing and recording.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,159 Times in 1,597 Posts
    This thread could be relevant to you as well @witch

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast