+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Looking for a 10" Tablet - Any suggestions? in Technical; I'm keen to get a 10" tablet primarily for general web surfing, reading e-books, watching movies, etc. I've been having ...
    Thank Post

Looking for a 10" Tablet - Any suggestions?

I'm keen to get a 10" tablet primarily for general web surfing, reading e-books, watching movies, etc. I've been having a look around at what's available but can't decide which model to go for?

I've seen a few android tablets on the go for about 250-300 that looked quite reasonable but I'd also contemplated whether it's worth spending the extra to buy an ipad3 (I really like the look of the new hi-res screen!). Having said that I would ideally prefer the flexibility offered by an Android tablet when it comes to Adobe Flash and storage/connectivity (SDcard/USB/etc.) though. At the other end of the scale I've seen a few non-branded android tablets on amazon/e-bay that can be had for as little as 100-150. They seem to get above average reviews and look OK for the money spec-wise but I've no idea whether they're actually any good?

Any suggestions, thoughts, recommendations?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts

3. Thanks to plexer from:

flyinghaggis (3rd April 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Best I can find.

It's only 10 inches to some men.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Looks OK but not sure about the lack of Android Marketplace? Also couldn't find any reviews of it anywhere online which is a bit worrying. There does seem to be plenty of websites full of android ipad knock-offs though!

ie. http://ipadalternative.com/
    http://www.youtube.com/user/shrinkz9#g/u
    Last edited by flyinghaggis; 3rd April 2012 at 06:09 PM.

Thank Post
    iPad. Don't waste your time with an Android tablet unless it's the ASUS Prime... unless you love screen lag.

Thank Post
    Windows 8 is on the way

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,129 Times in 1,025 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gpe5732 View Post
    iPad. Don't waste your time with an Android tablet unless it's the ASUS Prime... unless you love screen lag.
    Oh yeah because you can access so much of the internet on it.... oh wait no you can't as they don't support flash.

Android Tabs are the way to go IMHO these days Flash is so important its such a huge drawback until people actually start using HTML5 its a no go IMHO.

Thank Post
    I've literally not found a site I can't get to that I actually browse.

Android tablets are lagfests. I've got Samsung Galaxy Tab. I know which one I prefer.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,129 Times in 1,025 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gpe5732 View Post
    I've literally not found a site I can't get to that I actually browse.

Android tablets are lagfests. I've got Samsung Galaxy Tab. I know which one I prefer.
    Galaxy tabs are awful they run a customised Android OS just like the phones which is pretty cr*p

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinghaggis View Post
    Looks OK but not sure about the lack of Android Marketplace? Also couldn't find any reviews of it anywhere online which is a bit worrying. There does seem to be plenty of websites full of android ipad knock-offs though!

ie. iPadAlternative.com - Android Tablet Store
    shrinkz9 - YouTube
    The thing has only been available from ebuyer exclusively for 3 days so I'm waiting a bit yet.

No android market place is not a biggie to be honest you can either sideload apps or just install the market place anyway.

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Galaxy tabs are awful they run a customised Android OS just like the phones which is pretty cr*p
    All of the Android tablets run a customized Android OS. I put 4.0.3 on mine and it works much better than Honeycomb. There's not many tablet optimized applications for Android either. Just not a fan. The experience is much better on my iPad than my Android tablet.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,866 Times in 1,384 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Put the standard ROM on (rather than generic rom from supplier/brand) and performance is massively better. Its the same with the phones as most ROMS come with some form of bloatware whereas the standard one released by google works far better.

Ipad you are stuck with iOS and cannot customise (except what apple tell you you can customise or you jailbreak it and lose warranty/insurance).

I myself however like my hp touchpad as it does what I need and was a cheap price

Thank Post
    You can jailbreak iOS for the same thing. I don't know what you guys work with all day, but I personally don't have the will or want to root all of my devices, flash random ROMs on them, see what works and what doesn't work, etc. I work all day in tech... just not the biggest fan of constantly tinkering with technology all day.

I deal with enough with 20,000+ computers and 45,000 users... but that's just me.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    Windows 8 is on the way
    Yeah but based on the Windows8 preview I'm not particularly impressed by it to be honest. That and by the time they make a Windows tablet with a decent spec (i3/64gb ssd) it'll likely end up costing 500-600 which is way more than I'd contemplate for a tablet device. Plus the weight/battery life aren't likely to come close to android/IOS tablets.
    Last edited by flyinghaggis; 3rd April 2012 at 08:37 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinghaggis View Post
    Yeah but based on the Windows8 preview I'm not particularly impressed by it to be honest. That and by the time they make a Windows tablet with a decent spec (i3/64gb ssd) it'll likely end up costing 500-600 which is way more than I'd contemplate for a tablet device. Plus the weight/battery life aren't likely to come close to android/IOS tablets.
    That is what Windows on Arm is all about - uses the same kinds of low power long battery life processors as you might find in your Android tablet.

Although no word on pricing yet I would imagine them to come in at more expensive than most Androids but on par with the iPad.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast