+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Looking for a 10" Tablet - Any suggestions? in Technical; ...
    Thank Post
    Samsung Galaxy Tablet is just under 9" and is v good for portability and not flash restricted either!

You can get one for less than £300 now too!

Thank Post
    We have some motorola xooms which we loan out to school if would like to test one of them?

I really would say though at the price range with the iPad 2 now being under £260 that its a no brainer. Its all about the content available when it's for Education.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinghaggis View Post
    I'm keen to get a 10" tablet primarily for general web surfing, reading e-books, watching movies, etc. I've been having a look around at what's available but can't decide which model to go for?

I've seen a few android tablets on the go for about £250-300 that looked quite reasonable but I'd also contemplated whether it's worth spending the extra to buy an ipad3 (I really like the look of the new hi-res screen!). Having said that I would ideally prefer the flexibility offered by an Android tablet when it comes to Adobe Flash and storage/connectivity (SDcard/USB/etc.) though. At the other end of the scale I've seen a few non-branded android tablets on amazon/e-bay that can be had for as little as £100-150. They seem to get above average reviews and look OK for the money spec-wise but I've no idea whether they're actually any good?
    If you're going to drop the money for an iPad then you may as well go with the ASUS Prime instead. It gives you extra battery life, and a good keyboard, for the same price as the plain iPad. Also can take up to 96GB of storage (32Gb internal, 32GB microSD on the tablet, 32GB in the keyboard). Plus if you do any development then a tab, keyboard and AIDE (free IDE for Android, on Android) is an essential just to play around with.

Quote Originally Posted by gpe5732 View Post
    iPad. Don't waste your time with an Android tablet unless it's the ASUS Prime... unless you love screen lag.
    So...how's that hand warmer doing for you? And your wifi's working alright? Nice to be able to increase your storage capacity by just slotting in a card, don't you think?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,453 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AshleyBishop View Post
    We have some motorola xooms which we loan out to school if would like to test one of them?

I really would say though at the price range with the iPad 2 now being under £260 that its a no brainer. Its all about the content available when it's for Education.
    The OP wants one for web surfing, reading.... Didn't say anything about it being for students.

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Oh yeah because you can access so much of the internet on it.... oh wait no you can't as they don't support flash.

Android Tabs are the way to go IMHO these days Flash is so important its such a huge drawback until people actually start using HTML5 its a no go IMHO.
    I thought the argument about flash was put to bed a long time ago, sure it's annoying when flash content isn't available, but the con in terms of battery drain just wasn't worth it's inclusion for tablets.

If it's about content, usability, battery and browsing (sans flash) performance, then the iPad 2 looks very appealing at the new price. I really don't think the number of megapixels a front facing camera has or whether SD expansion is possible matters very much to the majority of tablet purchasers.

Thank Post
    Microsoft have said that they will not support the mobile version of flash either...

Echoing Apple, Microsoft bans Flash from Metro IE10 in Windows 8 - Computerworld

Does this mean they are a no-no when their devices are released?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,262 Times in 793 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You can jailbreak iOS for the same thing.
    and then..

but I personally don't have the will or want to root all of my devices, flash random ROMs on them, see what works and what doesn't work, etc.

So, you'll root one thing to gain functionality but not another? Whut?

Thank Post
    So - what all you chaps are saying, without actually saying it is ....

You would probably be better off buying a Netbook ... it should be cheaper than any "good" tablet and it should be able to do almost 100% of what you want to do with it!

Thank Post
    I've seen many Schools chance their opinion about Netbooks once they really get tested within Education. Battery Life after 1 year is also a question and not to forgot the amount of time you will spend fixing the things. On the positive they are easy to manage although in my personal opinion it should be about the content, learning and teaching. The Hardware specs mean nothing if it's not being used in the right way.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    If you're going to drop the money for an iPad then you may as well go with the ASUS Prime instead. It gives you extra battery life, and a good keyboard, for the same price as the plain iPad.
    I did like the look of the Asus tranformer prime though I've not had a chance to play with one. Looking online most of them seemed to be priced over £500 which is more than I'd be willing to spend on a tablet.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi View Post
    Microsoft have said that they will not support the mobile version of flash either...

Echoing Apple, Microsoft bans Flash from Metro IE10 in Windows 8 - Computerworld

Does this mean they are a no-no when their devices are released?
    Anything with windows 8 should be a no-no

But if the likes of chrome etc still come bundled with flash thwn it just drives more people away from what is already an awful browser!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 1,994 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Android Tabs are the way to go IMHO these days Flash is so important.
    Not for long. ICS is the last version of Android that will support Flash Player.

Btw, there are lots of iPad apps and games that use Flash (via Adobe AIR).

Thank Post
    Well I was in the local store today and ended up buying a new iPad 16gb wi-fi model! I'm sitting typing this on it at the moment in fact

I guess the thing that really sold it to me was the screen resolution/quality and the general smoothness of web browsing on it compared to android. I realise it's probably not an entirely fair comparison as the android tablet would have had to render flash/etc as well but on the websites I tried if was a lot more usable. That and every video website I used seemed to work ok regardless of the fact it doesn't have flash. Guess it must default to YouTube or another alternative if it detects you don't have flash available?

Been playing with it for an hour or so and I'm pretty happy with it so far!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12