+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 109
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, iPad 3 in Technical; Announcement of the iPad 3 today. Will be interesting to see what improvements have been made over the past 12 ...
  1. #1
    ste1988's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    177
    Thank Post
    77
    Thanked 24 Times in 23 Posts
    Rep Power
    13

    Lightbulb iPad 3

    Announcement of the iPad 3 today.

    Will be interesting to see what improvements have been made over the past 12 months.

    Lots of rumours floating around. in the past two releases apple have pretty much doubled the spec every time, and suggestions of a new 128gb version, while moving from dual to quad core

    So interesting of all though, is from macrumors, which suggests a smaller 8gb iPad2 to compete with the cheaper amazon kindle fire.

  2. Thanks to ste1988 from:

    mac_shinobi (7th March 2012)

  3. #2
    captaincharisma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    224
    Thank Post
    56
    Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
    Rep Power
    15
    What time is the press conference?

  4. #3
    ste1988's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    177
    Thank Post
    77
    Thanked 24 Times in 23 Posts
    Rep Power
    13
    10am in san francisco, is that about 4pm here?

  5. Thanks to ste1988 from:

    captaincharisma (7th March 2012)

  6. #4
    Pottsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nottinghamsire
    Posts
    761
    Thank Post
    3
    Thanked 52 Times in 42 Posts
    Rep Power
    30
    My guess is an SGX543MP4 GPU with a Mhz boost on top. That or the 544 but I fail to see why they would need that as the only real diffrence between a 543 and 544 is DirectX support. I still hope it will contain a series 6 chip, will be amazing if it does but it’s a little too early for that.

  7. #5

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Gloucester
    Posts
    331
    Thank Post
    13
    Thanked 27 Times in 26 Posts
    Rep Power
    15
    im rather exited about this event, been waiting for the updated ipad for quite a while now, but with all the speculations and differeant opinions and leeks, who knows what they will bring

  8. #6
    dezt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Lancs
    Posts
    1,030
    Thank Post
    157
    Thanked 60 Times in 48 Posts
    Rep Power
    30
    I hope they bring out something that fixes the ipad 1 ios 5 app crashing bug that a lot of users including me have at the moment, that has to be the biggest mistake i ever made, upgrading to ios 5 and now not being able to browse the internet in safari for longer than 10 minutes until it sends me back to the home screen. Fingers crossed for me for ios 5.1 or ios 6 which i've seen rumours for.

  9. #7
    zag
    zag is offline
    zag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,828
    Thank Post
    914
    Thanked 422 Times in 355 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    88
    The press conference is at 6pm UK time.

    Should be good to see though, maybe a reduction in price of the iPad 2

    Oh and most people think it will be called the iPad HD.

  10. #8

    TechMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    3,293
    Thank Post
    226
    Thanked 406 Times in 303 Posts
    Rep Power
    162
    Should be about 6pm our time. Though may be a build up from 4.

    I think just a revision. Chip upgrade, screen upgrade, RAM upgrade, maybe camera upgrade.

    I can't think of anything else they would add. Doubt an SD slot would be allowed. Stylus would be a big reversal. Maybe a sneak peek or a preview of IOS6.

  11. Thanks to TechMonkey from:

    ste1988 (7th March 2012)

  12. #9

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,796
    Thank Post
    3,306
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts
    Rep Power
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    Should be about 6pm our time. Though may be a build up from 4.

    I think just a revision. Chip upgrade, screen upgrade, RAM upgrade, maybe camera upgrade.

    I can't think of anything else they would add. Doubt an SD slot would be allowed. Stylus would be a big reversal. Maybe a sneak peek or a preview of IOS6.
    Talk about a quad core A6 and like you say RAM, Screen ( higher res obviously ), possibly camera and a preview of iOS 6, I did see one company who made the magnetic iPad stand have a bluetooth stylus device ( from the TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog website )

    Think it was this article --> http://www.tuaw.com/2012/03/05/ten-o...etooth-stylus/

  13. #10
    DrCheese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,032
    Thank Post
    97
    Thanked 160 Times in 109 Posts
    Rep Power
    59
    suggests a smaller 8gb iPad2 to compete with the cheaper amazon kindle fire.
    8gb won't even be worth it. The OS takes up around 1.2gb of that by itself, so you'd be left with 6gb usable.
    Even tho the iPad2 doesn't have a "retina" display, if the iPad 3 does it will still download full versions of iPad3 apps that will take up a lot more space than apps do at present. You'd fill it within a day.

  14. #11
    ste1988's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    177
    Thank Post
    77
    Thanked 24 Times in 23 Posts
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCheese View Post
    8gb won't even be worth it. The OS takes up around 1.2gb of that by itself, so you'd be left with 6gb usable.
    Even tho the iPad2 doesn't have a "retina" display, if the iPad 3 does it will still download full versions of iPad3 apps that will take up a lot more space than apps do at present. You'd fill it within a day.
    I agree, for me 8gb would be pointless, but for me in primary education, they would be looking around £125-150 to directly compete with amazons kindle, also with all the education apps, i think we would get away with 8gb, and for the same price of the same of the cheapest android tablets, lets wait and see what happens

  15. #12
    zag
    zag is offline
    zag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,828
    Thank Post
    914
    Thanked 422 Times in 355 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by ste1988 View Post
    I agree, for me 8gb would be pointless, but for me in primary education, they would be looking around £125-150 to directly compete with amazons kindle, also with all the education apps, i think we would get away with 8gb, and for the same price of the same of the cheapest android tablets, lets wait and see what happens
    Maybe for the power user but with things like icloud, airplay and iplayer these days there is very little need to store things locally on devices.

    If it takes the price down by 50 quid then I say why not

  16. #13

    TechMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    3,293
    Thank Post
    226
    Thanked 406 Times in 303 Posts
    Rep Power
    162
    iPadHD? The iPhone xS of the iPad line?

    Interesting that they are saying there will be this minor upgrade and then another in October. I would be really narked to get one now and then 6 months later there be a newer one. A year is kind of understandable but 6 months?!

  17. #14
    ste1988's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    177
    Thank Post
    77
    Thanked 24 Times in 23 Posts
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    Maybe for the power user but with things like icloud, airplay and iplayer these days there is very little need to store things locally on devices.

    If it takes the price down by 50 quid then I say why not
    It would be great for the tablet market if they did, a cheaper iPad at the same price of all the lesser branded android tablets, we'd definitely have them here!

  18. #15
    Pottsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nottinghamsire
    Posts
    761
    Thank Post
    3
    Thanked 52 Times in 42 Posts
    Rep Power
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    iPadHD? The iPhone xS of the iPad line?

    Interesting that they are saying there will be this minor upgrade and then another in October. I would be really narked to get one now and then 6 months later there be a newer one. A year is kind of understandable but 6 months?!
    It sort of makes sense as there is a lot of major technology due out in around 6 months. They either need to delay now and go over a year without a new product or have a minor refresh now and product in 6months. That or skip 6 months and fall massively behind in tech.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [iPad] Deploying and managing iPads
    By pran in forum Netbooks, PDA and Phones
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 25th February 2012, 12:14 AM
  2. [iPad] Apple iPod/iPad Implementation
    By Starkiller in forum Netbooks, PDA and Phones
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 16th March 2011, 11:51 AM
  3. [iPad] iPads and proxies
    By GrumbleDook in forum Netbooks, PDA and Phones
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 24th November 2010, 03:53 PM
  4. [iPad] Ipad functionality
    By projector1 in forum Netbooks, PDA and Phones
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 15th November 2010, 02:22 PM
  5. [iPad] Why should I jailbreak my iPad?
    By mikegayle in forum Netbooks, PDA and Phones
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10th November 2010, 09:17 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •