+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, manage mutiple android tablets in Technical; School is looking at buying multiple android based tablets, anyone know how we could manage them as far as installing ...
    Thank Post

manage mutiple android tablets

School is looking at buying multiple android based tablets, anyone know how we could manage them as far as installing apps, locking them down etc?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts
    I don't think they are very good for multi user devices, absolutely fine if one per child.
    In school you could Firewall the marketplace and Install Google apps device policy for remote wiping etc.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You need google apps for education then you can manage them via that.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    You need google apps for education then you can manage them via that.
    I still can't find away of restricting whats installed on the marketplace, even with google apps

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    well you could always take the market app off the devices.

Thank Post
    ^ that would do it

Thank Post
    I have just has a chap in from Toshiba education demoing the AT 100 tablet with some management software they have developed to lock down the devices and also push out apps via a central console.
    I could PM you his details if you are interested. He also says that it gets around the proxy issue.

8. Thanks to ticker from:

farmerste (12th March 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ticker View Post
    I have just has a chap in from Toshiba education demoing the AT 100 tablet with some management software they have developed to lock down the devices and also push out apps via a central console.
    I could PM you his details if you are interested. He also says that it gets around the proxy issue.
    Yes please.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechSupp View Post
    School is looking at buying multiple android based tablets, anyone know how we could manage them as far as installing apps, locking them down etc?
    This is a little late for your January posting, but just in case there's still interest.... have a look at TabPilot, a new Android tablet management system for schools that was released into beta testing this summer. It will lock down the tablets, let teachers choose what can be used during their class, and it's also an app-distribution platform to remotely install apps on groups of devices. I won't put much else here because it's my company that created it and it's not appropriate to make a commercial out of this post, but the system should do just what you're looking for. You can PM me or just Google the product and use the contact page on the site for more info.

Thank Post
    I've got 10 generic android tablets running 2.3. They good value for money but my main problem is connecting them to school wi fi via a proxy server. Does anyone know if there is an app/software I can download to let me do this. They connect to wi fi outside school no problem. I have a Motorolla Xoom which runs on 3.2 or higher that brings up the menu to allow to put in the proxy server settings.

Can anyone help?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Onehotspur61 View Post
    I've got 10 generic android tablets running 2.3. They good value for money but my main problem is connecting them to school wi fi via a proxy server. Does anyone know if there is an app/software I can download to let me do this. They connect to wi fi outside school no problem. I have a Motorolla Xoom which runs on 3.2 or higher that brings up the menu to allow to put in the proxy server settings.

Can anyone help?
    you cant do it without having an app for it. (rooted) You have to update to Jellybeen or ICS for proxy settings.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Onehotspur61 View Post

Can anyone help?
    If a 3.2/4.x upgrade is out of the question you could set up a separate VLAN for these devices and use squid/dansguardian as a transparent proxy like this:
    Dansguardian Content Filtering With Transparent Proxy On Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

Thank Post
    These Android tablets come with a full web based Management Console for locking down Android, Deploying Apps/Files/Web URLs etc. May suit what your looking for. You can sign up for a trial to see how the Management works. The software works on Android 2.1 and upwards as well and the company provide their own Proxy application so this could be added to the tablets owned by Onehotspur61

LearnPad - The Tablet Computer Designed for Education

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by turnew View Post
    These Android tablets come with a full web based Management Console for locking down Android, Deploying Apps/Files/Web URLs etc. May suit what your looking for. You can sign up for a trial to see how the Management works. The software works on Android 2.1 and upwards as well and the company provide their own Proxy application so this could be added to the tablets owned by Onehotspur61

LearnPad - The Tablet Computer Designed for Education
    +1 for LearnPad we are going to get it trailed with some Toshiba tablets we are loaning. Looking to roll it out on 30 tablets. You can trial it with any android tablet and create a trial account on the portal at learnpad.co

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread