+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, 3 Mobile Broadband in Technical; Have just bought on 1 month rolling - 5GB pm Have I cocked up? Is 3 any good?...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

3 Mobile Broadband

Have just bought on 1 month rolling - 5GB pm

Have I cocked up? Is 3 any good?

Thank Post
    ive got a 3 mifi router 15gb a month (as bt was <1/2 a mb now its upto 1 so i could of coped) and in my location its fine i get 6mb connection speed (600+k on a download) so i have no issues (other than going over limit looks expensive and i almost managed it last billing period had 500mb left lol

3. Thanks to sted from:

GREED (14th December 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks. I using it for mobile work only, so Know coverage might be hit and miss like them all.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    Thanks. I using it for mobile work only, so Know coverage might be hit and miss like them all.
    i find it much much better than the coverage on my phones on orange or bt(vodaphone) and the mifi at least not sure about the dongle has better aerials than most phones and that bt/orange internet coverage on all 3 internet phones ive had has been poor esp orange works for a bit then have to refresh a page 5 times to get the content

Thank Post
    I had 3 mobile broadband 12 months for 12Gb pay as you go, it was great did everything I wanted it too. Even updated my old iPhone which was a 500 to 700mb file only using the mobile broadband.

Thank Post
    I have a 3 dongle with 5G d/l pm and it costs me £8 pm
    I use it when we are camping and its very good. Except for one camp site that has no signal!!
    Alan

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by salan View Post
    I have a 3 dongle with 5G d/l pm and it costs me £8 pm
    I use it when we are camping and its very good. Except for one camp site that has no signal!!
    Alan
    Thats stupid. Why would the middle of a field not have provision for internet....

rad
    Thank Post
    3 is generally very good, its great to have the dingle when travelling to hotels that charge something like £5 for a night, when the dongle only cost you £10 for the month.

i find general internet browsing is fine, forums dont use loads of data its used when downloading etc

Thank Post
    on to my second MiFi device as it was upgrade time and have been using with 15G allowance.

We have no land line so this is our only Internet option have had little trouble also 3 are starting to roll out the improved network we get about 2Mb where we are but had 7mb+ when we were on holiday

great little device

Vodafone are now doing a similar device not sure how good it is though

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    I know that @robk has one of the earlier Mifi devices as we have used that in the hotel bar on Edugeek events to do emergency EG tidyups at times and its a great tool Certainly think for what the PAYG ones cost they are a great tool I am certainly considering one rather than moving to a contract mobile plan instead for extra data.

Thank Post
    my experience with 3 is that coverage is what 3 promise as long as you are relatively in an area of high population, as soon as you get out of town it evaporates!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaktech View Post
    my experience with 3 is that coverage is what 3 promise as long as you are relatively in an area of high population, as soon as you get out of town it evaporates!
    same with all mobile operators. I live a few miles from leeds centre and cant get an 02 signal at home various places i work i couldnt get a orange (or even orange+tmobile) signal and my current works phone bt(so vodaphone) is terrible forever saying no signal or just getting 0 data

Thank Post
    I see your point, but i've had the experience far more obviously with 3. My vodafone has been very good for this, My partner and i went on holiday in deepest devon with my parents and my sister, which meant we had 2 vodafone customers, an orange customer, 2 Tmobile and a 3 customer. The 3 customer lost signal as soon as we left barnstaple and didn't get it back untill we returned the following day. the orange customer lost signal when we dropped down into valleys and such, and there was no signal in the cottage (about 12 miles from barnstaple on the coast) the vodafone customers both had signal everywhere except in deep valleys, with 2 different phones, a motorola and a nokia. the nokia kept signal for far longer. The t mobile customers had patchy signal once we left the motorway and only got good signal (3g or hsdpa data) when we were in large towns (barnstaple, falmouth)

I appreciate that this is an isolated specific example, but as a family we've generally found that this is the way connectivity goes over the past 2 or 3 holidays like this (yes we are a family of sad people who live on their phones and have little better to do than check signal quality, it's true!). The 3 user accepts this, but is willing to suck up the poor coverage for all you can eat data!

If the OP had bought a t-mobile stick i may have just laughed, they've been rubbish (my brother in law is the t mobile customer) he has no t mobile signal at his work place which is literally just across southampton water from the city and hardly in the sticks!

just my $0.02

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread