+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Making Multiple Apple ID's on one computer in Technical; Hi All, We are awaiting delivery of a number of iPad's so I though I would plan ahead and starting ...

Thank Post

Making Multiple Apple ID's on one computer

Hi All,

We are awaiting delivery of a number of iPad's so I though I would plan ahead and starting making Apple ID's ready for when they arrive.

The way I do it is exactly as is on the apple forums.

Go onto iTunes, click the app store, find a free app, click download and then create a new account that way. We do it that was because we don't want to link a card to the accounts.

Everything was going ok until I wanted to make my 5th account. When I click to create the account I get a error message in red saying 'Please contact iTunes to complete the transaction'.

I have contacted iTunes but they are not helping me as yet because they just said follow the steps to create an account on their forums, which I have already done.

So what I want to know is, has anyone else had that same problem when making multiple accounts on one computer?

Many Thanks in advance

Wilson

Thank Post
    Hi Wilson.

Can I ask why your making apple ids for each iPad? As we have 13 here, if you did it on sep accounts youd have to buy your app for each account and syncin would be difficult.

bean

Thank Post
    Hi Bean,

I thought that was the legal way in which to set up the iPad's. Each iPad will have a separate account and then you purchase the apps for the iPad's individually?

At the moment we are in the process of buying 35 iPad's with the possibility of another 50 within the next couple of weeks.

How I have done it so far is on Active Directory I have made 35 accounts. I would then log on to each account individually on the computer and set up an apple account, then if I wanted an app for a specific iPad I would gift the app to that email address and sync it that way.

But now all of a sudden when I am trying to create the accounts I am getting the error message that's stated in the 1st post.

We as the school are relatively new to iPad's so if I am doing it wrong then maybe you can point me in the right direction

Many Thanks

Wilson

Thank Post
    Ups,

OK so just had a look on the 'App Store Volume Purchase' page: App Store Volume Purchase Program - Program Manager Enrollment

Reading the FAQ: Apple - iTunes - App Store Volume Purchase Program

You can use 1 itunes account to distribute the apps - but apparently you need to purchase them through: https://volume.itunes.apple.com/us/store

So apparently you need to pay for each app - which is ridiculous as a home user can sync as many apple products as they want, but because were a school we have to pay for each app.

Sorry for the false info - I can see a big bill and a headache for me on Monday!

Thank Post
    I didn't know you had to have an authorized person to do all the gifting? Does this only apply to the USA or would it apply to the UK as well?

See there is things like this I wouldn't know because were new to all this.

So have you not made multiple accounts for the iPad's? So you haven't received that warning message before?

Wilson

Thank Post
    I was under the wrong impression about the Volume App Purchasing. So I haven't done that. By the looks of it you can enrol in the UK it asks for ZIP or Post Code. I'm going to call them on Monday.

But you can sync them all to one iTunes account if you look at the FAQ, as long as you are using the ASVPP.

You wouldn't gift it as such, you go to a different store to the normal app store and purchase for example 13 copies of an App. https://volume.itunes.apple.com/store

What I don't understand is not all apps are on here so what would you do then?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,385 Times in 1,765 Posts
    With iOS 5 you can now use one Apple ID for purchasing apps and a separate one for iCloud etc...

www.macstories.net/stories/ios-5-icloud-tips-sharing-an-apple-id-with-your-family/

Thank Post
    Thanks for the reply.

As were new with all apple technology can you advise the best way to set it all up?

We want it all legal and all the accounts not to have a card linked to the accounts.

As of yet we will be getting 35 iPads and in the future maybe alot more.

So how would I go about it to create accounts for each individual iPad?

Thanks

Wilson

Thank Post
    Not sure if your still looking for a solution to this, but after numerous phones to apple, this is how we have it setup.

I have my email address linked to itunes, so far I have purchased itunes vouchers so its easier to purchase.

I have then made an email address for each iPad, this is literally just to gift the app to. Then in itunes purchase the app and gift to the remaining email accounts so you have purchased one for each. You can then sync all the iPads to the itunes account. The receipts from gifting is enough to prove you have the correct licensing.

Its also on the Fraiser Speirs blog, which I overlooked because I assumed apple would of sorted the licensing by now seen as though its easier in America through the ASVPP.
    Fraser Speirs - Blog - App Management and*Sync

Once setup its not going to be much more hassle. If you setup separate itunes accounts and sync them that way your really going to give yourself a headache.

Also if you ever get stuck with anything 0800 039 1939 is the number for education and volume sales of apple products so they are quite helpful and do send a lot of information on the aforementioned.

Good luck!

10. Thanks to beany1 from:

TomTomGo (15th December 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread