+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, iPads - just. Seeking a walk through on set up in Technical; When you say the staff laptops run on the guest lan do you mean they connect to the guest wireless? ...
    Thank Post
    When you say the staff laptops run on the guest lan do you mean they connect to the guest wireless?

The certificates can be installed just by clicking on them but it needs to be valid for the client you are validating in the case of smart card or cert.

Would be interesting to see a vanilla Windows client with standard settings on the guest and test the different sites. One way around a forced proxy issue is to use a proxy.pac autoconfig file in the guest lan and force them to use a LA upstream proxy if one is available then open the standard 80, 443 DNS and Proxy ports on the wireless firewall

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have Ruckus manged system.

Netbooks use a certificate dished out via GPO, staff just log onto the guest one as i stopped adding them to the domain cus it was a faff!

As you can tell this sort of stuff isnt my forte! lol

Thank Post

MDM?

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky_Dicky View Post
    The iPhone configuration utility ... A very useful piece of kit for deploying on mass, however I think MDM is much better.
    Sorry to ask what is potentially a silly question, but what is MDM? I know it's Mobile Device Management, but are you referring to a particular product?

My own school already has quite a few iPod Touches and iPad 2's so I have become familiar with the iPhone Configuration Utility, but we'll soon be getting many more iPads so I'd like to know what your alternative is. I'm particularly interested in syncing content (books, music, podcasts) OTA, as well as apps.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @Net-Ctrl Support kindly set our Ruckus up with a separate account specific to the i-Pads.

Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    I have Ruckus manged system.

Netbooks use a certificate dished out via GPO, staff just log onto the guest one as i stopped adding them to the domain cus it was a faff!

As you can tell this sort of stuff isnt my forte! lol

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robadob View Post
    Sorry to ask what is potentially a silly question, but what is MDM? I know it's Mobile Device Management, but are you referring to a particular product?

My own school already has quite a few iPod Touches and iPad 2's so I have become familiar with the iPhone Configuration Utility, but we'll soon be getting many more iPads so I'd like to know what your alternative is. I'm particularly interested in syncing content (books, music, podcasts) OTA, as well as apps.
    MDM is a category of product. Usually able to manage the other main mobile OS'es in addition to idevices running iOS. There are loads of products out there now, some of the vendors come from the windows mobile and blackberry-centric world and have added the functionality for supporting android and ios [because obviously enterprise MDM predates iOS], some hosted in the cloud, but most seem to be licensed per device, per month. I don't really know how far the pricing comes down when you start talking large quantities for edu, but it's not exactly a cheap option to go down the enterprise MDM route.

Thank Post
    Think of MDM as GPO for iOS devices.
    It allows you, on the fly, to change permissions, push out certain applications, email account settings, shared calendars and the like. It comes bundled with the new version of Lion server for free or you can pay for a company such as AirWatch and they will host it for you as well as a few extra features. I got quoted about £1.50 per device per month so it is not cheap and at the moment I'm trying to get my hands on a mac mini purely to do the MDM stuff.
    I don't think it can sync books, music and podcasts but I may be wrong.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123