+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Android tablets for schools, how does the Market work? in Technical; If a school was to get Android v2.3+ tablets for staff or students, would staff and students individually have to ...

Thank Post

Android tablets for schools, how does the Market work?

If a school was to get Android v2.3+ tablets for staff or students, would staff and students individually have to register an Gmail account to use Android Market? Or is there a way the ICT dept. can manage app deployments to tablets so no registering required?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    You can links the market to a google apps account, owned by the school.
    Bigger issue is getting it through your proxy/firewall.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,860 Times in 1,154 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In EMBC land we have had to open a fresh port to allow outbound traffic to the marketplace. We had a similar issue with Apple, but at least they changed it so that it would work over HTTP.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    You can links the market to a google apps account, owned by the school.
    Bigger issue is getting it through your proxy/firewall.
    That's good. This looks interested although not a tablet: Business & Education - Chromebook

Thank Post
    In EMBC land we have had to open a fresh port to allow outbound traffic to the marketplace.
    An RBC OPENING a port so people can use ICT

Could you pass this onto the other ones and explain that the world has not come to an end

Si

BTW What port/protocol is needed so I can contact CLEO/Lancs and ask them?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    In EMBC land we have had to open a fresh port to allow outbound traffic to the marketplace. We had a similar issue with Apple, but at least they changed it so that it would work over HTTP.
    Don't think I ever got back to you after this change was made. Works a treat so thanks for helping us with this.

I believe it was 5228, although I may be wrong.

Thank Post
    We've set up a master account and placed it on the Android devices we have. We have only piloted 30 for Dell so far. The biggest problem we've had is there's no solution for locking them down. If I had to guess, I would assume the teacher does not even use them anymore due to the inability to stop them from accessing any application they'd like. Doesn't help that the tablet had games pre-installed that can't be removed.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JonWPS View Post
    Don't think I ever got back to you after this change was made. Works a treat so thanks for helping us with this.

I believe it was 5228, although I may be wrong.
    I wasn't trying to hint but ... ;-) If you are happy to give a 10 min rundown about what you have done so far at the next NetworkNorthants meeting?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    An RBC OPENING a port so people can use ICT

Could you pass this onto the other ones and explain that the world has not come to an end

Si

BTW What port/protocol is needed so I can contact CLEO/Lancs and ask them?
    Within EMBC the network is setup to allow global changes like this, but it took a few months to examine all the issues around it, whether there would be any change (i.e. like Apple did where they changed it so you didn't need the extra ports open) which would then leave it open and unrequited ... or they star adding even more ports ... it is a slippery slope.

RBCs do routinely share information at a national level as part of the NEN Technical Group so things like this can easily be circulated anyway ... but it is easier for some RBCs to make the change than others ... in the same way EMBC couldn't provide the reverse proxy / VPN access that some other RBCs provide.

I'll speak to the EMBC Tech Consultant though and see if he can ask the other RBCs about what they are doing to allow mobile devices / other OSes on school networks.

10. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

SimpleSi (16th November 2011)

Thank Post

Lockdown Android

Quote Originally Posted by gpe5732 View Post
    We've set up a master account and placed it on the Android devices we have. We have only piloted 30 for Dell so far. The biggest problem we've had is there's no solution for locking them down. If I had to guess, I would assume the teacher does not even use them anymore due to the inability to stop them from accessing any application they'd like. Doesn't help that the tablet had games pre-installed that can't be removed.
    Did you find a good solution for locking down the devices? Did you just go with a stand alone app locker? What age range are the students where you're using these? It's been a couple of months since your post, so I'm curious to know if/how much the teacher is using them.

Thank Post
    Accessing Market isn't your biggest problem - preventing people from buying games and other apps through it is bigger. Being unable to lock devices down or specify a proxy server also rank above the Market in a list of hurdles.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    Accessing Market isn't your biggest problem - preventing people from buying games and other apps through it is bigger. Being unable to lock devices down or specify a proxy server also rank above the Market in a list of hurdles.
    That seems like an easy fix. Just use one of the many applock apps to block market from runnung without the passcode being entered.

Thank Post
    How do all of these issues compare with those when using iPads?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jpaterson View Post
    How do all of these issues compare with those when using iPads?
    Many of the issues (security, application management, charging, etc) are common to all tablets. I imagine that iPads are harder to lock down, however, as that is contrary to the Apple ethos.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    Many of the issues (security, application management, charging, etc) are common to all tablets. I imagine that iPads are harder to lock down, however, as that is contrary to the Apple ethos.
    So either way, Apple or Android, they're still a bit of a headache in the education sector, from an administrative perspective?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast