+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Android tablets for schools, how does the Market work? in Technical; ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mikkydoos View Post
    I've had very lengthy conversations with LINT2ICT regarding Google Play (Market).

Their firewall system can't be configured for Android or Ipads.

Port is 5228 and I have a list of Google's IP's if anyone wants them.

I had to get a BT broadband line put in so I could configure mine. LINK2 are friggin useless and for he amount of money they fleece us for their service is appalling.

Company called Learnpad do some tablets running Android fully loaded with software - £200 now. You can also buy their software for £30 per tablet too.
    It'll control Android from a PC too which is really handy.
    Cheers Mikky, if you could PM over a list of IP addresses I'd be grateful, my solution was to take them home and install everything offsite which is pretty rubbish really, and I agree with you regarding Link2ICT they have a thrown several spanners in the works recently at my school and cost an absolute fortune, do'n think we get value for money from them at all.

Thank Post
    Let's say we have a lot of Android devices around a business all using the same Google account for the market. But one user bought an app for £1. Would this then be allowed for all devices on the account? Will Google do anything about that?

Thank Post
    Probably. It is Google after all. Doesn't Play register the device with the download??

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nLinked View Post
    Let's say we have a lot of Android devices around a business all using the same Google account for the market. But one user bought an app for £1. Would this then be allowed for all devices on the account? Will Google do anything about that?
    I've bought a couple of apps which I have installed on both phone and tablet - nothing told me I couldn't, in fact, I think I saw something from Google pointing this fact out (that could be rubbish, though!).

Thank Post
    After listening to apple fans!! which we all know are over priced and would require me to buy a mac if I had more than 5 ipads! (itunes does not allow more than 5 devices on windows)

I have decided to write me own app for android to work in the KS1 and KS2 sectors. (more on that when i'm almost ready to release it)

I came across the settings issue. We are buying 70 andorid ICS devices which are £54 ex vat each. How do I set them all up, install the latest flash and any other program I want without activating the google account.

So today I have written a script...almost finish

The idea:
    1/you set up your first tablet/device with wifi settings, homepage, download the apks you want to a folder on windows computer ie Flash, MyApp.
    2/ turn to devolper usb
    3/ download the settings of your main device.
    4/ plug in each device, hit Install and job done!

I am working with ICS as it's the only one with native proxy support. Our children love them and you know what, they are not bothered they arent iPads. They have internet, educationcity and myApp at there finger tips. not to mention any other app i choose to install.

If you think the scripts will be useful to anyone, pm and you can be my testers before i release them to everyone.

Hope this helps

Jamie

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RuAware View Post
    After listening to apple fans!! which we all know are over priced and would require me to buy a mac if I had more than 5 ipads! (itunes does not allow more than 5 devices on windows)

I have decided to write me own app for android to work in the KS1 and KS2 sectors. (more on that when i'm almost ready to release it)

I came across the settings issue. We are buying 70 andorid ICS devices which are £54 ex vat each. How do I set them all up, install the latest flash and any other program I want without activating the google account.

So today I have written a script...almost finish

The idea:
    1/you set up your first tablet/device with wifi settings, homepage, download the apks you want to a folder on windows computer ie Flash, MyApp.
    2/ turn to devolper usb
    3/ download the settings of your main device.
    4/ plug in each device, hit Install and job done!

I am working with ICS as it's the only one with native proxy support. Our children love them and you know what, they are not bothered they arent iPads. They have internet, educationcity and myApp at there finger tips. not to mention any other app i choose to install.

If you think the scripts will be useful to anyone, pm and you can be my testers before i release them to everyone.

Hope this helps

Jamie
    Sounds great, can I ask which tabs you have?

Thank Post
    A few companies (vmware, Dell) are working on locked down Android device software which should make things much easier.

Thank Post
    yup, at the moment i'm using futeko.com - Eken T01 speak directly and get cheap delivery etc.

have not found anything it can't handle, bought 1 for myself to start testing my app and the headteacher was that impressed she bought one. used them with the children first.

Ok so the screen resolution isn't great, and it only has 512mb ram (so does the ipad2!!) but we are talking about mobile java programming! it really is allthe children at this age need.

Thank Post
    "the same as found in the Ainol Novo tablets" - you need to be careful how you pronounce that, don't you :-)

Thank Post
    We just bought one of these Android tabs to play around with:

Yarvik GoTab Xerios 10 inch Tablet - Black (Cortex A8 1.2 GHz, 512MB RAM, 8GB Memory, Android 4.0.3): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Even though it runs ICS 4.0.3 there is no proxy support!! Apparently enabling that is at the discretion of the manufacturer? I think if we rooted it then we can use proxyDroid (though I have zero clue how to root one of these??). However as a workaround I discovered that installing the Opera web browser allows you to type in a URL of opera:config and it has its own settings for putting proxy address in Only prob is that this wouldn't be used by any other apps

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by themightymrp View Post
    We just bought one of these Android tabs to play around with:

Yarvik GoTab Xerios 10 inch Tablet - Black (Cortex A8 1.2 GHz, 512MB RAM, 8GB Memory, Android 4.0.3): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Even though it runs ICS 4.0.3 there is no proxy support!! Apparently enabling that is at the discretion of the manufacturer? I think if we rooted it then we can use proxyDroid (though I have zero clue how to root one of these??). However as a workaround I discovered that installing the Opera web browser allows you to type in a URL of opera:config and it has its own settings for putting proxy address in Only prob is that this wouldn't be used by any other apps
    is it? firt i heard of that, you sure you cant connect. then once connected longpress on that wireless SSID and modify network, advanced?? thought i'd write th steps just incase you didn't know

12. Thanks to RuAware from:

themightymrp (28th June 2012)

Thank Post
    Thought I'd tried that to be honest but will give it another go today. One of our teachers is using it at the mo as a test of our ePortal registration system and Frog VLE

Thank Post
    ICS has proxies on all the devices I've seen. RuAware is right. Long press the connection in the wifi list. That should do it.
    Other alternative is use something like ProxyDroid, but you'll have to root your device for it to work.

Thank Post
    Thanks @RuAware, turns out you were right! What I was doing wrong was adding the SSID to the device first, then pressing the 'Advanced' button at the top right afterwards. I removed the SSID, clicked Add and then realised I'd completely missed a tick box saying advanced settings underneath where I enter the pass key

Cheers

Thank Post
    Why can't I seem to add wildcards or IP addresses to the proxy exceptions?? Whenever I put an '*' in a URL or the second dot of an IP address, the save button greys out. Surely you can specify an IP at least?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast