+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Android tablets for schools, how does the Market work? in Technical; Apple do actually support enterprise deployment and lockdown for their devices - Apple - Support - iPhone - Enterprise . ...
    Thank Post
    Apple do actually support enterprise deployment and lockdown for their devices - Apple - Support - iPhone - Enterprise. I am not aware of anything like this for Android, but then I have not looked either.

But, it still does not get around the fact that they are inherently personal devices, so not ideal for sharing. I think our best hope is Windows 8 - if the tablet version can be joined to the domain then it could be exactly what we are all looking for...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jpaterson View Post
    So either way, Apple or Android, they're still a bit of a headache in the education sector, from an administrative perspective?
    Pretty much :-)

Not an impossibility, but not a simple thing to deliver either. There will be problems, and compromises needed by both teachers and IT Support, however I wouldn't rule them out off-hand. Look at what you can do, what you can't do, and then compare all that against the school's desire to have tablets.

3. Thanks to enjay from:

jpaterson (13th January 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jpaterson View Post
    So either way, Apple or Android, they're still a bit of a headache in the education sector, from an administrative perspective?
    There are multiple factors in play and it depends on what you want to accomplish and how the devices are used. Managing Windows computers is quite a chore, so I'd definitely not say that tablets are a headache by comparison.

There are two issues being discussed here: lockdown and app distribution

For app distribution on Android, Market will work if you add the same Market account to all the devices. When you use your browser (rather and on-device) to add paid or free apps to your account you'll get a drop down of all devices registered to the account so that you can add to all of them and push the app to that device. If it's an account with a credit card attached, there's a new feature in Market that allows you to add a PIN code to have purchases approved. Nice!

For lock-down purposes, there are bunch of app-lock programs that can do the trick, requiring a PIN to access anything on the lock-list, including system settings.

All of this assumes we're talking about shared devices. If you get to a 1-to-1 situation where all students have their own device, then there's as much need. For example, my company helped a local school acquire inexpensive tablets that were issued to every student. They keep them all year and are allowed to put their own Market account on it and pretty much do anything they want, as long as they keep it in working order to be able to access the Internet for research and on-line text-book access during the day at school. It becomes almost "hands-off" for the IT department, other than keeping the WiFi up and running (and beefed up to handle the load). Rather than worry about network access for things like local storage, students simply use Google Docs, so the IT department doesn't have to manage that either. Dropbox and Box.Net would be other ideas.

So the app management and lock-down is primarily for shared use environments. My company is exploring products to manage groups of these centrally, beyond what's described above though, so I may have more to report later.

In terms of Windows 8, I have little hope if it means all of the traditional labor-intensive things involved with managing Windows computers...viruses, spyware, the need to re-image yearly due to slow down, not to mention boot-up time, reboots, etc. etc.

As far as Android vs. iPad, obviously the iPad is much more heavily used right now and does have some better tools like automatic app installation in the background. There will also be more/better apps for some areas such as assistive technology, making them great for special ed classrooms. On the other hand, iPads can be twice the cost of an Android tablet if you know where to look, making it easier to reach the 1-to-1 ratio with Android. For example, the same school we helped acquire 7" tabs last year for under $200 ea. is now piloting a 10" android device that will cost under $300 USD in bulk, and that's for a nice IPS screen (same as iPad) and Android 4.0 ICS (beta currently installed). Compare that to to $500 to $600 USD minimum for iPads and you can see whey they are experimenting with it.

Remember that the whole market is new for this, so things will evolve rapidly in the next year or two. Pilot sites will be invaluable.

5. Thanks to jvolzer from:

jpaterson (20th January 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jvolzer View Post
    Remember that the whole market is new for this, so things will evolve rapidly in the next year or two. Pilot sites will be invaluable.
    I think that is a really valuable point to remember. Yes, get tablets of some form now and play around to see what they can do, but don't then write them off for ever if they don't work out; set teacher expectations accordingly too. If you decide not to proceed at this stage, make a decent record of why you decided that, and then keep checking back to see if that problem still exists.

Thank Post
    One more thing to add on Android Market. I see that they now have the ability to require a PIN for purchases. This is available in Market 3.1 and newer. I'm not sure when that came out though, as I just noticed the PIN feature on my phone. So this would help in the scenario where the generic school account is installed on all devices to allow the ability to push down apps. The PIN would prevent a student from buying on that account. An applock app would keep them out of market completely, but the PIN would be good if they needed to access their own account added to the device (which might be the case in a 1-to-1 setup).

8. Thanks to jvolzer from:

CyberNerd (20th January 2012)

Thank Post
    I saw that too, and was similarly enthusiastic - a definite step forward.

Also, for personal use not school, I note that you can now charge apps to your phone bill rather than use your credit card. Not sure how much use that is, mind you!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

https://market.android.com/details?i...rprise.dmagent

I don't see marketplace restrictions yet though

Allows Google Apps domain admin to set security policies for your Android device
    Google Apps Device Policy is a device administration tool that allows administrators for Google Apps Premier and Education editions to set security policies for Android devices. This app will allow your Android device to comply with the security policies set by your admin.
    Editions Supported: Google Apps Mobile Management is only available for Google Apps for Business, Education, and Government.

A new Mobile settings page has recently rolled out to Google Apps control panels. If you don't see these settings in your control panel yet, click here to determine which Mobile settings page you have.
    Google Apps Mobile Management lets administrators enforce device policies over their mobile fleet using their Google Apps control panel, without the need for an on-premise device management server. Watch this video for an overview of mobile management.

Google Apps Mobile Management covers Android and Google Sync devices, which include iOS, Windows Phone, and other smartphones and tablets using Microsoft® Exchange ActiveSync®. BlackBerry devices and devices syncing to Google Apps using only IMAP or POP are not supported by Google Apps Mobile Management. Access Mobile Management by signing in to your Google Apps control panel and going to Settings > Mobile. Android devices need to have the Google Apps Device Policy app installed to show up under the Devices tab

Key Features

With Mobile Management, you can manage your mobile fleet with the following features:

Granular policies: Configure mobile settings at the organizational unit level
    Device activation: Control what devices can connect to your users' Google Apps data
    Device console: View all mobile devices in your domain connecting with Google Sync or Android Sync.
    Application auditing: View all apps that access Google Apps data installed on an Android device. Apps auditing isn't supported on other operating systems, such as iOS and Windows Phone.

11. 2 Thanks to CyberNerd:

GrumbleDook (20th January 2012), stevenlong1985 (28th June 2012)

Thank Post
    Note that it only covers Google Apps and on Android devices, so it wouldn't stop someone logging out of Google on the school tablet and logging into their own Google account, then installing stuff. Also, it doesn't cover teachers' iPhones or Blackberries which have their email on.

Thank Post
    Just to throw my two penneth into the mix.

On the subject of App Blocking. A good free App blocker is Sandbox by Famigo. It allows you to setup which apps are accessible and also allows you to prevent in game/app purchases and (if you use it on a device capable of making calls) blocks call options.

https://market.android.com/details?i...8uc2FuZGJveCJd

It allows you to specify which apps can and can't be accessed and it uses androids pattern unlock to provide security to the management side.

Regarding proxy support, Android has never really been built with Global App support for proxies however if your devices are rooted you can use ProxyDroid. another free app on the market

https://market.android.com/details?i...oxydroid&hl=en

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    Note that it only covers Google Apps and on Android devices, so it wouldn't stop someone logging out of Google on the school tablet and logging into their own Google account, then installing stuff. Also, it doesn't cover teachers' iPhones or Blackberries which have their email on.
    It does cover teachers iphones - a few appear in our Google apps domain with 'remote wipe' etc enabled. I've not told anyone at school about it though...

I've yet to check out how it actually works in practice, I'm going to ask the boss if we can buy a android tablet to look into it a bit further.

Thank Post
    Using Sandbox restricts access to ANYTHING you don't add to the list thereby preventing the above problem

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    In EMBC land we have had to open a fresh port to allow outbound traffic to the marketplace. We had a similar issue with Apple, but at least they changed it so that it would work over HTTP.
    Any ideas on an IP address for the google play store as LINK2ICT will only open up the port with a specific IP address... any help would be appreciated :-)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LeightonJames View Post
    Just to throw my two penneth into the mix.

On the subject of App Blocking. A good free App blocker is Sandbox by Famigo. It allows you to setup which apps are accessible and also allows you to prevent in game/app purchases and (if you use it on a device capable of making calls) blocks call options.

https://market.android.com/details?i...8uc2FuZGJveCJd

It allows you to specify which apps can and can't be accessed and it uses androids pattern unlock to provide security to the management side.

Regarding proxy support, Android has never really been built with Global App support for proxies however if your devices are rooted you can use ProxyDroid. another free app on the market

https://market.android.com/details?i...oxydroid&hl=en
    ICS supports proxies :-)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ridpool_John View Post
    Any ideas on an IP address for the google play store as LINK2ICT will only open up the port with a specific IP address... any help would be appreciated :-)
    @JonWPS gave them to me ... I'll try to dig through my notes.

19. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

DocHouse (14th June 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ridpool_John View Post

I've had very lengthy conversations with LINT2ICT regarding Google Play (Market).

Their firewall system can't be configured for Android or Ipads.

Port is 5228 and I have a list of Google's IP's if anyone wants them.

I had to get a BT broadband line put in so I could configure mine. LINK2 are friggin useless and for he amount of money they fleece us for their service is appalling.

Company called Learnpad do some tablets running Android fully loaded with software - £200 now. You can also buy their software for £30 per tablet too.
    It'll control Android from a PC too which is really handy.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast