+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 78
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Managing iPads in school? in Technical; How do schools manage iPads in school as far as adding apps and keeping them in synch with apps etc. ...
  1. #1
    TechSupp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    South Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,900
    Thank Post
    304
    Thanked 122 Times in 103 Posts
    Rep Power
    42

    Managing iPads in school?

    How do schools manage iPads in school as far as adding apps and keeping them in synch with apps etc. My school is just starting with them and have asked the question...or rather they said heres an iPad what do we do! I assume we have to have itunes on a PC but can all the iPads be set to sync with the same copy of iTunes and what about setting up iTunes as it normally asks for payment details even if you only want to download free items from it. Any answers or hints welcome.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Posts
    792
    Thank Post
    177
    Thanked 60 Times in 57 Posts
    Rep Power
    35
    Think I read some where that the new OSX server has some management tools for iPhone IOS devices similar to Blackberry so have a look. It might encompass iPads too.

  3. #3
    AngryITGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    County Durham
    Posts
    312
    Thank Post
    54
    Thanked 73 Times in 44 Posts
    Rep Power
    31
    We have about 50 iPads in school mostly used by staff.

    They are all linked to the same iTunes account and are updated from a computer in my office, when creating the iTunes account you do get the option not to add any payment details we have done this and fund the account using gift vouchers.

    I'm the only one with access to the iTunes account staff use the 'Tell A Friend" link in the app store to let me know of any apps they want downloading, I download them and sync the device either via the computer or over wifi. The iTunes account is linked to the bursars email address so she gets copies of the iTunes receipts so there is a paper trail for all the money we spend.

    All the devices are locked down using the iPhone Configuration Utility and out policy states that members of staff are not permitted to syncing the device to a personal iTunes account and that only educational apps are installed and for what it's worth they are all tracked via Find My iPhone tool.

    It works well here, staff did complain about not having SkyGo, Angry Birds amongst other things on the devices but soon got use to the fact that they are a teaching tool and not a toy for them.

  4. 4 Thanks to AngryITGuy:

    busby (31st January 2012), nawbus (8th November 2011), RobFrain (7th June 2012), speckytecky (9th November 2011)

  5. #4
    enjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,488
    Thank Post
    282
    Thanked 196 Times in 167 Posts
    Rep Power
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryITGuy View Post
    staff did complain about not having SkyGo, Angry Birds amongst other things on the devices but soon got use to the fact that they are a teaching tool and not a toy for them.
    Interesting point. You wouldn't mind them using the BBC iPlayer (except for it being Flash-based, of course) so why not SkyGo too?

  6. #5
    AngryITGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    County Durham
    Posts
    312
    Thank Post
    54
    Thanked 73 Times in 44 Posts
    Rep Power
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    Interesting point. You wouldn't mind them using the BBC iPlayer (except for it being Flash-based, of course) so why not SkyGo too?
    We don't even allow iPlayer at the moment, but that might be changing soon.

    With regards to the likes of SkyGo it highly likely that access to such an app would only end up being abused.

  7. #6
    nawbus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire
    Posts
    186
    Thank Post
    47
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Rep Power
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryITGuy View Post
    I'm the only one with access to the iTunes account staff use the 'Tell A Friend" link in the app store to let me know of any apps they want downloading, I download them and sync the device either via the computer or over wifi. The iTunes account is linked to the bursars email address so she gets copies of the iTunes receipts so there is a paper trail for all the money we spend.

    All the devices are locked down using the iPhone Configuration Utility and out policy states that members of staff are not permitted to syncing the device to a personal iTunes account and that only educational apps are installed and for what it's worth they are all tracked via Find My iPhone tool.
    That sounds great. Can you push out individual apps to specific iPads or does every app bought / downloaded have to go every iPad?
    Also, if you want an app to go to 50 iPads, do you have to buy the app 50 times?

    Cheers

  8. #7
    SW-ICT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    127
    Thank Post
    51
    Thanked 41 Times in 33 Posts
    Rep Power
    15
    The best way to manage iPads in schools... Dont buy them!

  9. #8
    enjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,488
    Thank Post
    282
    Thanked 196 Times in 167 Posts
    Rep Power
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryITGuy View Post
    With regards to the likes of SkyGo it highly likely that access to such an app would only end up being abused.
    The same could be said of an Internet connection - staff could use it to access a wealth of teaching resources or they could spend the day on Facebook, checking email, etc. It comes down to trust and the staff members' professionalism.

  10. #9

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    467
    Thank Post
    16
    Thanked 86 Times in 78 Posts
    Rep Power
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryITGuy View Post
    We have about 50 iPads in school mostly used by staff.

    Do you have the option in itunes to purchase 50 copies of the same app then? Or how do you go about this?

    Steve

  11. #10

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kendal
    Posts
    1,555
    Thank Post
    112
    Thanked 177 Times in 144 Posts
    Rep Power
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    Interesting point. You wouldn't mind them using the BBC iPlayer (except for it being Flash-based, of course) so why not SkyGo too?
    The BBC iplayer app isn't flash based and works a treat on the iPad

  12. Thanks to jcollings from:

    Shakoor (8th February 2012)

  13. #11
    AngryITGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    County Durham
    Posts
    312
    Thank Post
    54
    Thanked 73 Times in 44 Posts
    Rep Power
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by nawbus View Post
    That sounds great. Can you push out individual apps to specific iPads or does every app bought / downloaded have to go every iPad?
    Also, if you want an app to go to 50 iPads, do you have to buy the app 50 times?

    Cheers
    Unfortunately you can't push out individual apps to specify iPads, thought the iCloud based service would do that but it's either all the apps or none of them!

    At the moment we manage it manually, downloading the app then syncing the required devices.

    As far as I am aware there isn't any way of purchasing multiple copies of an App, if you try and purchase on you have already bought you just get the option to download it, meaning at the moment we buy the app once and install it on how ever many devices require it.

  14. #12
    AngryITGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    County Durham
    Posts
    312
    Thank Post
    54
    Thanked 73 Times in 44 Posts
    Rep Power
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    The same could be said of an Internet connection - staff could use it to access a wealth of teaching resources or they could spend the day on Facebook, checking email, etc. It comes down to trust and the staff members' professionalism.
    Does that mean you trust the staff in your school completely?

    Yes the same can be said for an internet connection which is why most schools have a web filter in place, and your right it does come down to the professionalism and management of staff but what you have to realise is each school is different and will choose manage staff in their own way.

    Just cos we don't allow SkyGo and Angry Birds on our school iPads doesn't mean other schools should do the same, we chose to manage it this way initially to keep the focus on the iPads for teaching purposes, more than likely in the future we will become more lenient with regards to the apps.
    Last edited by AngryITGuy; 8th November 2011 at 04:11 PM.

  15. #13
    enjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,488
    Thank Post
    282
    Thanked 196 Times in 167 Posts
    Rep Power
    76
    We do have a web filter in place, however staff access is not heavily impeded (in the Secondary School anyway, the Primary teachers are more restricted because of projector use). I totally agree with not installing Angry Birds as that is purely recreational, however I would install iPlayer, SkyGo, etc and YouTube then leave it to the staff members' professional to not misuse these (using logs, remote viewing, etc to ensure that it is being used responsibly and then pass any concerns to SLT to handle).

    As you say, however, this is what I would do in this school and I don't mean to suggest that you're wrong to take the line you have, I just wanted to raise the point that it isn't always as simple as saying "this is a teaching tool" or "this is a recreational tool", as there are things which people could legitimately want but also abuse - it is evident you've gone down that line of thinking already, though.

  16. #14
    enjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,488
    Thank Post
    282
    Thanked 196 Times in 167 Posts
    Rep Power
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryITGuy View Post
    Does that mean you trust the staff in your school completely?
    No, but I do believe in giving them the tools they need. For example, staff have largely unfiltered Internet access so they can access all the sites they need for lesson preparation and teaching, plus their own personal interests, BUT they do not have administrative rights on their computers as they don't need them in order to do their jobs (it is my job to manage software installs, ensure licence compliance, software compatibility etc, and to understand the technical aspects and implications of this in a way that one would not expect of a teacher).

    That works here, but I do acknowledge that it might not be appropriate or desirable in other schools.

  17. #15
    TechSupp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    South Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,900
    Thank Post
    304
    Thanked 122 Times in 103 Posts
    Rep Power
    42
    That was my initial reaction as the online educational activities site they bought in to is flash based! but hey, what do I know! Anyway thanks for the replies. They also bought kindles but hey why have a library as well, but they still went ahead.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Using iPad in school with proxy server!
    By mtillbrook in forum Netbooks, PDA and Phones
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10th May 2012, 08:11 AM
  2. Pros and Cons of iPads in schools
    By AlfaTech in forum Netbooks, PDA and Phones
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 20th August 2011, 12:08 PM
  3. Using iPad in school with proxy server!
    By mtillbrook in forum Mac
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12th July 2011, 03:25 PM
  4. iPad in schools
    By tommccann in forum Mac
    Replies: 170
    Last Post: 12th August 2010, 08:55 AM
  5. IT management in schools
    By blacksheep in forum General Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 15th January 2008, 09:59 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •