+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Managing iPads in school? in Technical; I fear they are coming in my EDB School - I'd love a fuller description of the how to set ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I fear they are coming in my EDB School - I'd love a fuller description of the how to set up and policy if it's available please AngryITGuy.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryITGuy View Post
    We have about 50 iPads in school mostly used by staff.

They are all linked to the same iTunes account and are updated from a computer in my office, when creating the iTunes account you do get the option not to add any payment details we have done this and fund the account using gift vouchers.

I'm the only one with access to the iTunes account staff use the 'Tell A Friend" link in the app store to let me know of any apps they want downloading, I download them and sync the device either via the computer or over wifi. The iTunes account is linked to the bursars email address so she gets copies of the iTunes receipts so there is a paper trail for all the money we spend.

All the devices are locked down using the iPhone Configuration Utility and out policy states that members of staff are not permitted to syncing the device to a personal iTunes account and that only educational apps are installed and for what it's worth they are all tracked via Find My iPhone tool.

It works well here, staff did complain about not having SkyGo, Angry Birds amongst other things on the devices but soon got use to the fact that they are a teaching tool and not a toy for them.

Thank Post
    Well tried to register for the apple store without entering payment details and failed. Tried it via an iPad and via a new install of iTunes and although I managed via the website to create a login as soon as I want to enter the store and log in it asks me to Review my login as its the first time at the store and then presents me with the select and enter payment method and none allow me to do it without

Update: Eventually did it, they certainly dont make it easy. Had to change the account I created (wanted same ID), go to store, download a free app, create a new ID, None now appears, register and verify ID, sign back in at store..job done.
    Last edited by TechSupp; 9th November 2011 at 10:25 PM.

Thank Post
    [QUOTE=TechSupp;752488]You say kids dont have deletion/install rights, how is that done?[/

This can be done through iPad setting > general > restrictions . Although IPCU looks promising, will try.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by speckytecky View Post
    I fear they are coming in my EDB School - I'd love a fuller description of the how to set up and policy if it's available please AngryITGuy.
    Drop me a PM and i can see what I can do, I have been meaning to document how I have setup and configured the iPads in school.

5. 2 Thanks to AngryITGuy:

busby (31st January 2012), speckytecky (10th November 2011)

Thank Post
    AngryITGuy Did you manage to document the set up ? i wouldn't mind a look.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by busby View Post
    AngryITGuy Did you manage to document the set up ? i wouldn't mind a look.
    I would also appreciate seeing that if possible... Our iPads are currently managed individually, but I'm sure there will be a time when we get a bank of bookable devices that need managing centrally...

Thank Post
    Sorry,

This may be a little of topic but have any of you guys connected an ipad to a projector ? just wondering if its possible as that will be the next question from the teachers.

Regards

Chris

Thank Post
    You can get VGA Adaptors to wire them to a projector, and apps to display the iPad screen on a PC, I've not tried either... yet... but it is possible...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sorry,

This may be a little of topic but have any of you guys connected an ipad to a projector ? just wondering if its possible as that will be the next question from the teachers.

Regards

Chris
    you can buy cables and do this, but an Apple TV is a better solution - The iPad and AppleTV both connect over WiFi and you can use a feature called 'AirPlay' to display the iPad screen on the AppleTV.

You may have to buy a HDMI-VGA adaptor to connect the projector up if they don't already have HDMI inputs.

11. Thanks to Mr.Ben from:

speckytecky (18th May 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ben View Post
    you can buy cables and do this, but an Apple TV is a better solution - The iPad and AppleTV both connect over WiFi and you can use a feature called 'AirPlay' to display the iPad screen on the AppleTV.
    How would the teacher specify which Apple TV to use? Some of our teachers teach in multiple rooms, and they all use the IT Suites (although of course if we went 1:1, then the IT Suites would become obsolete...)

Thank Post
    i was thinking the appletv route, i take it you can give the apple tv a static ip ? and device name ?

Thank Post
    i was thinking the appletv route, i take it you can give the apple tv a static ip ? and device name ?
    yep, unique device naming would be the route to go down.

the question is how would you go about ensuring pupils with iPads don't grab priority in connecting to an available atv ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,890 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alttab View Post
    yep, unique device naming would be the route to go down.

the question is how would you go about ensuring pupils with iPads don't grab priority in connecting to an available atv ?
    If they do they you treat them the same as someone who jumps up in class and starts shouting. You can restrict the opportunities by turning off sharing when not needed.

Thank Post
    +1 for iPhone Configuration Utility - works a treat.

Thank Post
    Until they fix the issue with the iPad and apple tv and it not displaying a full screen image i wouldnt use it I'd stick with the VGA cable. We tried the wifi wit apple tv and mirroring the image worked great if watching DVD but otherwise the image was very small.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast