+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Managing iPads in school? in Technical; It may not answer everything you are looking at but have a read of this article. Think … erm … ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 1,117 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It may not answer everything you are looking at but have a read of this article.
    Think … erm … Different (part 2) | GrumbleDook Thinks

Thank Post
    I have just started using few iPads for my primary school. I have created an itunes account without giving any credit card detail and same account has been used on the other iPads because I wanted to use free educational apps for teaching and learning. Kids have controlled access to the Internet. I have downloaded 100s of free apps on one iPad then copied over to other ipads so all the ipads have got the same apps. Kids don't have deletion and installation rights. I hope this is helpful. If you need more help please feel free to contact me.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechSupp View Post
    They also bought kindles but hey why have a library as well, but they still went ahead.
    Do you actually mean that? By the same measure, Victorian schools which had slates and chalk shouldn't have invested in pens and paper...

A move to Kindles is not without merit. They are cheaper - Kindle books are often cheaper than print, you can put one book on 5 devices, there's loads of free books, and they won't need replacing as often because they won't get damaged. They are also lighter for students to carry around. You need to think about how to update them all, and how to manage the auto-sync so that people don't keep losing their places when sharing an account, but it is do-able.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryITGuy View Post
    As far as I am aware there isn't any way of purchasing multiple copies of an App, if you try and purchase on you have already bought you just get the option to download it, meaning at the moment we buy the app once and install it on how ever many devices require it.
    Doesn't that lead to all sorts of licensing issues?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nawbus View Post
    Doesn't that lead to all sorts of licensing issues?
    This is how we were told to do it when we purchased the devices from an Apple Authorised Reseller, Apple are aware of this workaround and will no doubt plug it with their Volume Bulk Purchase Program which is only available in the US at the moment.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlook View Post
    I have just started using few iPads for my primary school. I have created an itunes account without giving any credit card detail and same account has been used on the other iPads because I wanted to use free educational apps for teaching and learning. Kids have controlled access to the Internet. I have downloaded 100s of free apps on one iPad then copied over to other ipads so all the ipads have got the same apps. Kids don't have deletion and installation rights. I hope this is helpful. If you need more help please feel free to contact me.
    You say kids dont have deletion/install rights, how is that done?

Thank Post
    You say kids dont have deletion/install rights, how is that done?
    It's all done using the iPhone Configuration Utility

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    We do have a web filter in place, however staff access is not heavily impeded (in the Secondary School anyway, the Primary teachers are more restricted because of projector use). I totally agree with not installing Angry Birds as that is purely recreational, however I would install iPlayer, SkyGo, etc and YouTube then leave it to the staff members' professional to not misuse these (using logs, remote viewing, etc to ensure that it is being used responsibly and then pass any concerns to SLT to handle).

As you say, however, this is what I would do in this school and I don't mean to suggest that you're wrong to take the line you have, I just wanted to raise the point that it isn't always as simple as saying "this is a teaching tool" or "this is a recreational tool", as there are things which people could legitimately want but also abuse - it is evident you've gone down that line of thinking already, though.
    You're right it isn't that simple and I understand that there will be legitimate reasons for using certain apps and these reasons will usually outweigh the possibility of abuse of the app and it all comes down to staff management which is something I don't have any control over.

The problem with the iPads is that they are notoriously difficult to monitor once locked down and setup you can't remote view them (or at least not to my knowledge), you only get to see the logs via the iPhone Configuration Utility and even that doesn't tell you much!

We will be looking to setup a class set of the devices soon and I could really do with finding an app that password protects apps in folders.

Thank Post
    you can't remote view them (or at least not to my knowledge)
    RealVNC - VNC® Viewer for iOS lets you control a PC from an iPad, so there may well be something which goes the other way...

you only get to see the logs via the iPhone Configuration Utility and even that doesn't tell you much!
    Could you not capture it at the proxy server and log it there?

Thank Post
    Main Problem we have with the iPads is each app requires a different port to connect to the Internet etc also the iPads don't support NTML authentication so we are having to filter by IP for the iPads

Thank Post
    RealVNC - VNC® Viewer for iOS lets you control a PC from an iPad, so there may well be something which goes the other way...
    Think there are plenty of apps available for jailbroken devices but nothing officially from the app store.

you not capture it at the proxy server and log it there?
    All internet activity is logged via the proxy although we had to bypass user authentication for the iPads as some apps we are using wouldn't pass authentication details through to the proxy which caused all kinds of issues so activity is logged via device name and ip address as all the iPads have static addresses.

Thank Post
    Right, fired up the first iPad and trying to create an apple store login to download some free apps but it keeps asking me for credit card details, am I doing anything wrong as previous posts say I should be able to sign up without? Or do i have to do it via itunes to get that option rather than direct via the iPad? Sorry for plonker questions :-(

Thank Post
    Right, fired up the first iPad and trying to create an apple store login to download some free apps but it keeps asking me for credit card details, am I doing anything wrong as previous posts say I should be able to sign up without? Or do i have to do it via itunes to get that option rather than direct via the iPad? Sorry for plonker questions :-(
    The option does exist you might be better off creating the iTunes account via iTunes on a computer rather than the iPad.

Thank Post
    Ok, will give it a whirl on a PC then.

Thank Post
    Looks like it worked on a PC, no request for credit details.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast