+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Android or iPad? in Technical; Mrs Enjay has agreed to get me a tablet for Christmas. Initially, I looked at cheaper Android ones, but have ...
    Thank Post

Android or iPad?

Mrs Enjay has agreed to get me a tablet for Christmas. Initially, I looked at cheaper Android ones, but have since decided the more expensive ones are money well-spent, so am now looking at either the Samsung Galaxy or the iPad2. What do you folks reckon? Oh, and let's keep the Apple fanboyism and Apple bashing to a minimum, so constructive comments only please :-)

Points so far:
    * Flash is the obvious one, but I don't think I use it much so could live in without it (I have an Android phone and Windows PC if I needed anyway, plus Mrs Enjay has a Windows PC too)
    * iPad2 storage is limited to 16GB (can't afford 32GB), which could be a problem (over time, the tablet just might obsolete my PC)
    * I'd need to be able to sideload my music to my Android phone
    * I'd also want to transfer photos from PC to iPad for viewing

There's also the Asus Transformer Prime to consider (assuming I can afford it, I don't know how the $499 will convert to GBP) which is quad core, a distinct plus, but I would want to handle one first, as I found the Transformer much heavier than the Galaxy.

Thank Post
    My friend just got a samsung galaxy tab 8.9 and she is happy with it.
    She went for the samsung mainly due to the size as she felt an ipad was a bit big for her.

It comes with in 16gb and 32gb versions but has no sd card slot to expand. I guess an ipad is just as good, just depends if you want to stick with android and possibly a smaller size.

Thank Post
    I think (I've got a galaxy tab and and an Ipad) that its a complete 50/50 call. Pros and cons both ways.

The tab does practically everything the ipad does - the ipad has some unmatched apps (Garageband,IMovie) and the flash issue.

The fact that you mobile music player is 'droid probably tips the balance and once you've decided that then there is a much larger range of devices/form factors to choose from.

Si

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 1,458 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was given an iPad and thought I would miss flash. To be honest it's something I don't misss at all.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am an iPad user and I do miss Flash for some things and have had to adjust some stuff ... but nothing earth shattering. I do know for some that is not the case though.

Pictures ... I tend to use online galleries or online storage, but that would work no matter what tablet you use.

I simply have too much stuff to say that a tablet would ever replace a desktop, but I think I've gone over the Pros and Cons in previous posts on the iOS / Android choice.

If you wanted to be really funky you could look at going for something running Win7 and see how it goes with the Win8 preview. If it is also something that you can get 'Droid onto at a later date then that kills two birds with one stone.

I suppose the big argument will be when iTunes Music Match appears (if it ever appears), but a number of folk I know aren't that bothered because they are already Spotify Premium users.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Neither is my honest answer. A Windows tablet allows you to do everything, just like a PC. The iPad 2 still doesn't have a USB port which is ridiculous really.

If I had to choose however, I would go with Android. The iPad really is overrated and is more expensive too.

Statistically, Android phones are selling faster than iPhones, so I suspect the same will happen with tablets over time.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @michael but there are USB and SD card adapters for it ... and the push is for online storage too. I would take that view no matter what the device runs, iOS, 'Droid or a flavour of windows.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Yes but adapters = more cost and more to carry around. If netbooks or Windows tablets can do it, why can't Apple's product?

Cloud computing in the UK is still a long way off. Until the Cloud Computing Act gets ratified and the physical infrastructure we have to deliver internet connections gets considerably faster, it won't happen for a long time. It really is a legal minefield because it's unclear who owns the data, who can access it, is it secured and how is it secured and is it backed up or replicated? This applies to the general public, businesses and educational establishments.

Thank Post
    agree with tony (what a rarity that is ) - usb port not important - it connects to my PC with the usb lead that comes with it .

(The fact that it doesn't have a file manager is the problem when you want to import/export things outside of native apps but the connectivity isn't a problem)

Si

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Yes but adapters = more cost and more to carry around. If netbooks or Windows tablets can do it, why can't Apple's product?

Cloud computing in the UK is still a long way off. Until the Cloud Computing Act gets ratified and the physical infrastructure we have to deliver internet connections gets considerably faster, it won't happen for a long time. It really is a legal minefield because it's unclear who owns the data, who can access it, is it secured and how is it secured and is it backed up or replicated? This applies to the general public, businesses and educational establishments.
    I now run my own WebDAV from my home server, as well as make use of DropBox and other online tools. I do so knowing that anything I have on another service could disappear (unless I pay a goodly sum for a decent service) and take into account that T&Cs can change at the drop of a hat. As for not having USB? Do you mean Mini-USB or Micro-USB? I remember wondering why I should struggle with my old P800 which had Duo stick or connect it via the proprietary to USB lead ... and the same with my Samsung D600 ... and marvelled that my BB 8100 could take a Micro-SD card, but only if I took that battery out first, when a simple phone like the D600 I could swap the cards easily.

There had been pretty good early rumours about USB going into the 3G or 3GS, but when you have x things to fit in then things will get dropped ... we have all heard the rumblings about the quality of the camera, etc ... for the few times I need to use USB I have an adapter. The price of it should be taken into account when buying *if* that is a major issue for you. For some it is not an issue so why should they have to pay extra for something they don't need, but you do? And it is not just an Apple thing ... you can argue that point about a lot of products, software, systems. As for Windows devices ... MS do not make them, other do ... unless you want to go to a ZUNE Tablet? *shudder*

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,270 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    As for Windows devices ... MS do not make them, other do ... unless you want to go to a ZUNE Tablet? *shudder*
    There are no Zune tablets, if you mean Windows Phone 7 which is the closest thing to it and also not a tablet then it is really quite good being one of the most easily usable smartphones on the market. You are right that they won't be going into tablets till Windows 8 and if they are not let down by hardware their ARM offerings could be really good as a middle ground between battery life and restrictions.

Everyone pushing the cloud for mobile devices is also a tad retarded, their main advantage is portability and battery life. Using 'cloud' storage kills both of those as you're either teathered to WiFi burning three times the power or on a cell network again burning more power and running up a potentially huge bill. Like it or not local storage is way better for a large number of things.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @synack ... I know there is no Zune tablet ... Just imagining it makes me shudder.

I do like Windows Phone 7 and can see the possibilities for Win8 on tablets ... Eagerly looking forward to it.

As for the cloud being a problem due to power, data plans ... It is not as if people are going to be accessing everything over wifi all the time, unless you stream everything. One of the suggestions I have heard to encourage students to use their personal devices on the protected school network (segmented off from everything else) is that it means that it saves their data plan ... and has gone down well with parents and students. Is the growing push for cloud usage another reason to improve battery life and if that is the case then functionality is going to be a drive for improving *all* devices on the market.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,270 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    I do like Windows Phone 7 and can see the possibilities for Win8 on tablets ... Eagerly looking forward to it.

As for the cloud being a problem due to power, data plans ... It is not as if people are going to be accessing everything over wifi all the time, unless you stream everything. One of the suggestions I have heard to encourage students to use their personal devices on the protected school network (segmented off from everything else) is that it means that it saves their data plan ... and has gone down well with parents and students. Is the growing push for cloud usage another reason to improve battery life and if that is the case then functionality is going to be a drive for improving *all* devices on the market.
    The always on mentalitiy is what is prescribed, streaming music, web apps for editing text and everything else etc. I know about offline storage and cacheing but that relies on certain usage patterns and programmers to do things right in that regard.

Better battery tech would be great and it is what is holding back everything, not just tablets. More efficient CPUs, software (sleep states etc) and hardware like radios/screens/memory (memresistors) will help. But battery tech is the one big hold back and better batteries, probably initially those that use nanotextured terminals to overcome limitations on surface area and address nanoscale wear on those reaction surfaces will allow for devices that last much longer even while connected the whole time.

With regard to the OP, which device is best, if you are looking at the flagship devices it comes down to your existing preferences and lockin. If you are already chained up in one of Apple's gilded cells then the iPad is a much easier choice. If you have no such buyins Android will allow you to have a tablet and give you a bit more freedom now and in the future.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Those of you on my Facebook page will know i've been asking that same question.....this just hasn't helped at all!! lol

Thank Post
    Can we steer this back to my question please? I'm not talking phones here, nor the failings of battery technologies. Windows 7 Mobile is clunky on a tablet, Windows 8 is too far off to wait for.

Online versus local storage is relevant, however, as I will find the Ipad's 16GB very limiting if I ditch my PC altogether, which is perfectly possible, I am a light-weight PC user at home, playing simple games, surfing and PhotoShopping.

I think I'm leaning towards Android, as that at least gives me the potential the ditch the PC; if I went iPad, I think the PC would need to either stay or be replaced by an iMac. That said, Mrs Enjay is always going to have a computer anyway, so I could just use that for storage and managing the SD card in my phone.

I don't know!!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast