+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Galaxy S2 problems fixed in Technical; I'm happy to report that my S2 now works as well as my old Desire having updated my firmware to ...

Thank Post

Galaxy S2 problems fixed

I'm happy to report that my S2 now works as well as my old Desire

having updated my firmware to the KI3/4 flavour - the sound level out the headphones is up to the same level as my wife's HTC legend (10dB better than before)

The GPS (long time to lock issue) wasn't automagically fixed when I did the upgrade but for the past 2 days it is as good as my old Desire.

I don't know what I did to get it into this state (as I've fiddled with so many things) but I might try and break it to see if I can work out the exact sequence needed to get one from poor to good.

One piece of info though - when it was poor, the GPS indicator didn't come on for about 5 secs when a GPS app (e.g Maps) was launched - now it comes on straight away (like my old Desire). I'd be very interested to discuss settings with anyone who has a 5 dec delay when launching an app that uses GPS.

A happy Simon

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,119 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Not that it is is relevant in regards to HTC or anything else but just swapped to a sim only plan and now only pay £11.50 a month

300 any network mins, unlimited texts, 500 mb data and unlimited wifi ( cloud, bt open zone etc )

Which I will use on my iPhone 4 for the next 12 months to wait for the next iPhone

Too much about iOS that I would miss if I went with any other phone. Will wait and see what they do with the android based OS

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    I'm happy to report that my S2 now works as well as my old Desire

having updated my firmware to the KI3/4 flavour - the sound level out the headphones is up to the same level as my wife's HTC legend (10dB better than before)
    Is that a custom/cooked firmware or just an upgrade to the latest provided by Samsung?

Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Too much about iOS that I would miss if I went with any other phone. Will wait and see what they do with the android based OS
    What about iOS would you miss? Serious question, I'm interested.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,963 Times in 2,178 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Too much about iOS that I would miss if I went with any other phone.
    Consistency and quality of apps? iOS apps do tend to look better.

android-gripes.tumblr.com/post/7849879762/gripes-from-a-long-time-android-user
    android-gripes.tumblr.com/post/4409289546/why-do-apps-from-the-same-company-look-worse-on-android
    fuglyandroid.tumblr.com

5. Thanks to Arthur from:

SYNACK (5th November 2011)

Thank Post
    Is that a custom/cooked firmware or just an upgrade to the latest provided by Samsung?
    its a proper firmware that I downloaded from a list on XDA - AFAICT its the latest generic uk/europe firmware that samsung have released.

(I bought my phone from phones4u and so I expect they just get generic devices in and then just give you a sim card for whatever network you choose)

Si

7. Thanks to SimpleSi from:

SYNACK (5th November 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Having looked through all 3 of those sites, I find most of what they say to be puerile nonsense!

"Why do apps..." had the speedtest app as an example.....Well, mine looks just the same as the Apple version. If you don't bother updating your apps, then you WILL fall behind!

"gripes from...." goes on to talk about the icons being from Gingerbread or Froyo.....As if anyone REALLY cares about the notification icons????

"fuglyandroid".... I'm guessing this is a "Look how rubbish I can make my screen"....but why is that fugly? One man's meat, etc etc etc! That doesn't mean that Android is ugly, per se, but that some users can make their phones LOOK ugly.

It makes no sense!

And...................Breathe!!!

9. Thanks to aerospacemango from:

SYNACK (8th November 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,119 Times in 1,024 Posts
    never did get around to posting on here ref my reply about my likes of iOS

1. The method of copy and paste ( where by you can select the chunk of text or items you want first and then copy and then paste ) vs my friends phone where you get a copy function that you select first and you have to try and select the correct chunk of text and if you goof it up you have to start again just to copy a chunk of text. Not sure which version of android his phone is on or if they have fixed this.

2. being able to update the handset on the handset without connecting to any computer ( which is an iOS 5 feature / addition )

3. The mutli app thing , double tap home button to swap between apps that are running or to close them down by holding down on one of the apps and using the minus symbol to close them down for good so as to save battery power. Yes I know you can only close one at a time but it doesn't take too long to tap on the different minus symbols.

Will post more later

11. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

Thank Post
    1. What phone is that? Not all interfaces for android are the same, mine isn't like that.

2. Been able to do that on android since atleast 2.1

3. Been able to do that on android since atleast 2.1

13. Thanks to j17sparky from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So apart from 2, stuff that WP7 can do too.

Thank Post
    @mac-shinobi
    em ??????
    1- wow - one to you
    2 - I've had a droid that has dones that for 18 months - not just last week
    3 - One button does all Now your getting into religion - I think the 'droid app management makes an IDevice look silly

But these are very minor points - us 'droiders can do things you can't even dream about

We can connect our 'droids via whatever means we fancy (usb/wi-fi) and copy data/apps to and from it without fear or hindrance - we can load whatever software we like and just run it without the spanish inquisition turning up and saying no

But keep on admiring your cut and paste facilities

Si

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread