+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, [iPhone] Standing by Your Products in Technical; It has finally happened, I have to side with Apple on something Someone has taken the time to compile a ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries

Exclamation [iPhone] Standing by Your Products

It has finally happened, I have to side with Apple on something

Someone has taken the time to compile a visualisation of how supported various devices are from a software update standpoint on the Android and Apple sides. It paints a rather bleak picture of Android support with many of the phones not supported at all. It does help if you can 'fix your own roof' so to speak by flashing a custom ROM but the cost of this lack of support is fragmented and possibly outdated software long with an ecosystem of unpatched security flaws.

the understatement: Android Orphans: Visualizing a Sad History of Support

I guess it comes down to bending or breaking one of the laws of the technical universe; phone companies and manufacturers treat their users like excrement, stringing them along untill they can sell them their next fix. Getting the likes of HTC and Samsung to actually support their phones with long term updates might be a pipe dream but in the end it would lead to a less hostile environment for users and their devices security wise.

Thank Post
    to actually support their phones with long term updates
    Let me put the case for the defence

If I buy a toaster, I don't expect it to be updated when Tefal builds their next model and adds another element to the design.

Or my car engine mapping to be adjusted after 2 years etc etc

If I buy a phone, I look to see what it does at the time I buy it.

If the device has a fault, I'd expect a manufacturer to provide a fix - that's all.

And sometimes, its better to stick with what you've got - my daughter had a 3G or a 3GS (can't remember) but she updated it to the 1st multi-tasking IOS and it ran like treacle so she went back.

I havn't bought my S2 to run Ice Cream Sandwich - I've bought it to run Gingerbread

Si

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,431 Posts
    Blog Entries
    But unlike other manufacturers, HTC have given people the tools to root (and actually support such endeavours) whereas most other brands dont (especially apple). However yes you are right, in terms of support apple are top notch for their phones and you will be hardpressed to find me saying otherwise. Also all of the iphones support the latest iOS whereas most droid phones can only go so far with droid (some are limited to 1.6, some to 2.2 - unless completely rooted and running from flash drive)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,005 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    If I buy a toaster, I don't expect it to be updated when Tefal builds their next model and adds another element to the design.
    Think of it another way. Would you be happy if you bought a brand new Windows 7 computer for £500 and both Microsoft and the hardware manufacturer stopped supporting it after 21 months? That's what Google have essentially done with their Nexus One...

www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/google/8848669/Android-upgrade-for-Google-Nexus-S-in-weeks.html

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    HTC have given people the tools to root (and actually support such endeavours) whereas most other brands don't (especially Apple).
    If you unlock the bootloader via HTC Dev, the smartphones warranty will be voided. The average user isn't going to want to do that.

Thank Post
    the hardware manufacturer stopped supporting it after 21 months?
    Supporting is fixing it if it breaks - service packs etc - not changing the OS

Si

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Let me put the case for the defence

How many toasters cost $1000 or tie you to an expencive contract

Or my car engine mapping to be adjusted after 2 years etc etc
    If there is a fault with it (Toyota) or security issue it will likely be recalled and fixed though.

If I buy a phone, I look to see what it does at the time I buy it.

If the device has a fault, I'd expect a manufacturer to provide a fix - that's all.
    Fair enough but the graph shows the security updates were a bit lapse too.
    And sometimes, its better to stick with what you've got - my daughter had a 3G or a 3GS (can't remember) but she updated it to the 1st multi-tasking IOS and it ran like treacle so she went back.

I havn't bought my S2 to run Ice Cream Sandwich - I've bought it to run Gingerbread

Si
    Again, fair enough but if devs are targeting the largest possible market having so many devices kicking around a version out of date weeks after they are launched it has got to take a toll on what ends up being avalible to users.

This is one of the reasons I still recomend WP7 devices to people who just want a good smartphone. They get updates, that get decent hardware that is going to run it well. If I recommend Android they could come back with anything including some shocking devices that are as well supported as disposable dipers once sold. I keep up with PCs, I don't have time to activly research which Android device is likely to run well for more than the first few months.

Thank Post
    I don't have time to activly research which Android device is likely to run well for more than the first few months.
    They'll all run well - they just won't do what the next model does which is the same as practically every other consumer device - CAR - TV - DVD - WASHING MACHINE etc

Its your expectation that is faulty - not the Android ecosystem

Its very nice that MS and Apple update their systems forever (but maybe they actually don't ) but each of the Smartphone families have their advantages and disadvantages and its nice to see someone championing the minow (WM7 )

Si

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Think of it another way. Would you be happy if you bought a brand new Windows 7 computer for £500 and both Microsoft and the hardware manufacturer stopped supporting it after 21 months? That's what Google have essentially done with their Nexus One...

www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/google/8848669/Android-upgrade-for-Google-Nexus-S-in-weeks.html
    I was thinking more along the lines if you bought a new windows 7 machine for around the £1000 mark and the hardware manufacturer blamed microsoft being a software issue and microsoft blamed it being a hardware issue and neither companies would accept liability for whose fault it was and hence you would be left with a bust machine or a machine that did not work.

Thank Post
    Have to say it-

Windows Phone 7, every phone now updated to version 7.5 (so as good a track record for updates as Apple) AND you get to choose how your phone looks (like you do with droid) by way of the hardware.
    Microsoft have struck the best of both worlds by locking their OEMs into an agreement that compels them to update the phone software as and when new updates come out.

Having said that….it’s still early days for Windows Phone 7 so only time will tell how Windows Phone 8 mashes into that support matrix.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    Having said that….it’s still early days for Windows Phone 7 so only time will tell how Windows Phone 8 mashes into that support matrix.
    Agreed, how Windows 8 is handled will be a huge turning point in the platform, the message of upgrading 7 devices would be a huge step foward in its credibility. Leaving devices behind without a very good reason would send a different message and imediatly put it further on the back foot in comparison to Apple and even in some cases Android.

Thank Post
    LG sure know how to look after their customers. Their eight-month old Optimus 2X will not be getting ICS at all!

In a blow to its smartphone fans, the LG Optimus 2X will not be getting the Android Ice Cream Sandwich update. (Source)

13. Thanks to Arthur from:

mac_shinobi (29th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Which devices will get Ice Cream Sandwich? « Engadget

The rumours regarding the Optimus 2X are apparently untrue.

Thank Post
    Its a non story really because i think the vast majority of smartphone users update as soon as they can to a new model anyway, in the 18-24 month period.

Only people i know who keep a phone more 3,4,5 years + are those who have the very basic handsets and just call and text.

16. Thanks to Quackers from:

SimpleSi (5th November 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    Its a non story really because i think the vast majority of smartphone users update as soon as they can to a new model anyway, in the 18-24 month period.

Only people i know who keep a phone more 3,4,5 years + are those who have the very basic handsets and just call and text.
    Only in countries with competition on mobile networks and a no price fixing, looking at you Vodafone NZ with your two year old limited selection of phone priced higher than they were when they were released everywhere else.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast