+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Nokia's New WinPho gear is unveiled in Technical; Today Nokia showed off its new Windows Phone 7 based phones, its flagship Lumia 800 and the cheaper 710 which ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Nokia's New WinPho gear is unveiled

Today Nokia showed off its new Windows Phone 7 based phones, its flagship Lumia 800 and the cheaper 710 which will be avalible later.

The 800 does look like a nice phone and a good first effort but is a little disapointing with no front facing camera and only 16GB of memory. With the standard 480 by 800 screen that is required by WinPho its still crisp looking but I think that this spec will hold it back despite the AMOLED screen.

2011-10-26-img1512.jpg

The custom software that they are using to differentiate from other verdors looks alright with the inclusion of free turn by turn voice aided navigation, their own maps services, a seporate media player/radio reciver which apparently mixes different sources of music and their own special app showcase.

I have to say the turn by turn stuff does look good but it is not enough to make up for the lack of a front mounted camera or additional storage.

Nokia Lumia 800 With Windows Phone 7 Announced, Release Date Is November 2011
    Nokia Lumia 800 hands-on (video) -- Engadget

The 710 is cheaper all round and has only a 5MP camera, swappable back covers and apparently tacky hardware buttons. It does fit in its role as the cheaper alternative but still packs a nice 1.4ghz chip to keep it snappy.

nokia7102011-10-26800px-32.jpg
    Nokia Lumia 710 hands-on (video) -- Engadget

Overall a decent first effort but they still have a way to go before tempting me away from HTC and my pending purchase of a Titan when they drop to a reasonable price in this little backwater.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 26th October 2011 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Video and extra picture

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread