+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Iphone 4S in Technical; I've currently got an iPhone 3G and was contemplating stick with the 'dark side' and upgrading to an iPhone 4S! ...
    Thank Post

Iphone 4S

I've currently got an iPhone 3G and was contemplating stick with the 'dark side' and upgrading to an iPhone 4S!

I was temped to make the transition to Android (my GF has an Samsung Galaxy Mini S which seems pretty good for a low spec handset). The main problem is that, as far as I can see, there aren't any other handsets out just now that are really catching my eye. Most of the ones with the same price as the Iphone 4S seem to have inferior specs/hardware. I guess there's the Google Nexus Prime which is about to be released but as much as I like the thought of a 1280x720 screen on a phone I'm not sure I'd want a handset as large as 4.6"!

Has anyone on here got an iphone 4S yet? Are there any Android handsets that would be worth considering in place of it?

Thank Post
    Samsung Galaxy S II is pretty stunning, got one last week and very impressed. The other advantage is you can get it free on contracts from £23 upwards if you shop around a bit.

Thank Post
    Another vote her for the Samsung Galaxy S II. I dropped an ashtray on my iphone 3 days before I was due an upgrade.
    So I got this phone and sold my iphone 3gs to a m8 who paid for the glass to be replaced.

The Samsung galaxy S II is a really nice phone despite it being larger than the iphone but lighter. it's feature packed and isnt as closed as the iphone. what feature are you looking for in a phone apart from the obvious?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    ive just done that well in the process of doing it my Iphone 4s is suposed to be being deliverd eather today or monday

Thank Post
    I went for a Samsung s2, very pleased.

Easy to root, Samsung even help you. Ive added GoLauncher and Calender lockscreen which make the interface stunning!

A bit concerned about battery life - its great when you just use it as a phone but if you use GPS a lot it soon goes.

Solution, extra batteries are £3 a pop, bigger 3500mah batteries are only 12 quid! Can you imagine Apple charging that?

Phil

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post
    I love my iphone 4s - it's a very good upgrade from the 3gs, which is where I was. At the end of the day, I think its a personal choice, down to whichever feels better in your hand and fits in best with your philosophy of how such devices ought to work.

One question I would ask is how many apps do you have now or are planning to have in the future on any platform? If you spend a lot of money on apps for a particular platform then this tends to lock you into that platform (and I think there are swings and roundabouts as to which is the better platform to be locked into from this point of view - Apple have less choice in their range than you'll ever get from all the various android manufacturers, but with Apple you can be more certain that your app will work with any current device you choose)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,291 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by philwaud View Post
    Solution, extra batteries are £3 a pop, bigger 3500mah batteries are only 12 quid! Can you imagine Apple charging that?
    There's actually an official samsung extended battery kit for the phone: Samsung Official Galaxy SII Extended Battery | Hemorrdroids.net

£25, but supported and with a different back cover that brings the back of the phone flush to the camera etc.

Looks like it might be worth a punt to me...

Thank Post
    Good point about the apps, but I think you will find that Apple have a LOT more apps than Android!

The Apple apps have also gone through some kind of approval process which cuts out a lot of chaff.

Personally, my spending on apps over the years since I bought an iphone2 has never been that much, but there is an investment into how much time you spend tweaking screens, positions of apps etc so that it is just right for you. Ive always jailbroken my iphone which allows a bit more freedom with apps such as calendar lockscreen and customised ringtones/SMS tones etc.

Android has been a learning curve, but it allows a lot more freedom and is considerably cheaper.

Phil

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by philwaud View Post
    Good point about the apps, but I think you will find that Apple have a LOT more apps than Android!
    Are you sure about that fella? Where's the proof?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DAZZD88 View Post
    Are you sure about that fella? Where's the proof?
    If you include all the 'seated precussion sound' apps that have been let through the 'quality approval' process then it may be close

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,336 Times in 816 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have a contract with voda just over the 14month mark (18 month contract) and boy voda are keen to get me a 4s (from my 4) lol, they just called up offering to reset contract term to day 1 for the same money if I buy the handset (reduced price)
    Very bizarre as normally you only get an upgrade at 17 month mark.

Thank Post
    Iphone:
    App Store (iOS) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Says 500,000+ apps

...try to find the number of android apps out there and you will see very different answers, but generally a lower figure.

The main point is that apple apps are at least moderated whereas any tom dick or harry can string together a few lines of code (often buggy, poorly written code) and launch an android app. For every decent app (apple or droid), there are hundreds of naff ones.

Phil

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RageRiot View Post
    what feature are you looking for in a phone apart from the obvious?
    There isn't really a single feature I'm particularly looking for. In terms of reasons for thinking about upgrading my iphone 3g the mains issues I have with are

1) the poor quality of the camera and lack of video recording capability.

2) The processor is starting to feel a bit slow compared to modern phones (for loading web pages/etc) and there's quite a few apps starting to appear which don't run on the 3G.

3) Apple have recently dropped support for it which means no further OS updates.

Several folks have mentioned the Samsung Galaxy S 2. I had a quick play with one in the o2 store at the weekend and it seems really nice but I've pretty much ruled it out as an option becuse of the sheer size of the phone as I really don't want one any larger than my currrent iphone. A couple of my colleagues at work both have the HTC Desire S which seems like quite a nice handset so that might be another possibility.

If I was going to buy a Android handset I'd probably hold fire until the first ICS 4.0 specific models start appearing though.
    Last edited by flyinghaggis; 25th October 2011 at 09:39 PM.

Thank Post
    I finally gave into temptation and bought one at the weekend! Quite impressed with it so far. The processor is ninja quick and the Camera's really good for a smartphone aswell.

Lovin' Infinity Blade 2
    Last edited by flyinghaggis; 12th December 2011 at 10:16 AM.

Thank Post
    What did you get?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast