+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Confusion over android os in Technical; Hi, I'm looking at samsung gallaxy SII phone and considering buying. I noticed a new one is going to be ...

Thank Post

Confusion over android os

Hi,
    I'm looking at samsung gallaxy SII phone and considering buying. I noticed a new one is going to be released with some new ice cream os?? ( Where do they get these names from? )
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus unveiled, first to run Ice Cream Sandwich - TechSpot News

I think this phone is suppose be better than the SII, but I was wondering if I buy the SII phone can I upgrade the os to this ice cream? as I presume ice cream would be a better os to have.

Sorry, not got a fancy phone at the moment so bit unsure about them.
    Alot of people are saying get SII instead of Iphone to me.

Thank Post
    I've got an s2 and love it. I prefer it to the wife's iPhone 4! I'm trying to find some info on whether i can upgrade to the Ice Cream Sandwich but i'm struggling. I would have thought you would though.

I can't see Android not doing something like that. Especially since Apple do it

Thank Post
    S2 is the best the you can actually buy at the moment - there is ALWAYS a better one around the corner

No-one knows if current crop of Android phones running Gingerbread (2.3) will be upgraded to Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0).

You decide

Si

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    This is slightly complicated I'm afraid. Lets start at the begining.

• Googles Android release versions are denoted alphabetically. Thus Ice Cream Sandwich is newer than Honeycomb which is newer than Gingerbread.
    • Gingerbread is the current version of android you'll find on most phones. Honeycomb on some newer tablets.
    • Google always partners with one of the major android phone makers to create a 'reference' design to go with a new Android release. This is what the new Samsung is.
    • Depending on your phone manufactuer you may or may not get an upgrade. Its entirely down to them.
    • Even if your phones manufacturer has released an update, your carrier might not.
    • Rooting and putting a custom rom on your phone avoids Manufactuer/Carrier restrictions. But its worthy of a thread on its own.

Thank Post
    Just found a video or s2 running Android 4 but like all these things, it will be a fake

Thank Post
    icecream sandwhich is just a way of saying android 4 same as honeycomb was 3 and froyo/cappochino/gingerbread were various version of 2.x

its likely that samsung will give out the upgrade at some point but not certain (unlike ios there are hundreds of android devices and they all need their own update (well sort of) so like you cant install via sound drivers on a pc with a adi soundcard

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,386 Times in 1,766 Posts
    The S2 will get Ice Cream Sandwich, but it may be 6 months or so until Samsung release the update (they need to add all of their TouchWiz stuff to it).

The fastest way to get ICS would obviously be to buy the Galaxy Nexus though.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Millgate View Post
    Just found a video or s2 running Android 4 but like all these things, it will be a fake
    There's been no source code release for ICS yet (and historically it takes about a month) so its not really possible to run ICS on anything other than a Nexus Prime atm.

CyanogenMod Team: There Will Be No Official SDK Port Of Ice Cream Sandwich By The CM Team - CM9 Will Arrive When The ICS Source Does

9. Thanks to Geoff from:

Millgate (19th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanks all I'm going to read up more on this new phone. I've only looked at the specs and a couple of videos so far and it seems better than the SII, so thinking it might be worth waiting for. (depending on price as well )
    Need to do more research^^

From Virgin I can get the SII for 25 a month and the phone free. I wish someone did create your own contract because all the contracts come with loads of texts, but I rarely text and would much prefer more internet or minutes.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    [*]Depending on your phone manufactuer you may or may not get an upgrade. Its entirely down to them.[*]Even if your phones manufacturer has released an update, your carrier might not.[*]Rooting and putting a custom rom on your phone avoids Manufactuer/Carrier restrictions. But its worthy of a thread on its own.[/LIST]
    This is the crux of cruxes. Most operators install customised ROMS chock full of stuff you don't want. It's a lot of work for operators to re-engineer a new OS for existing phones, so most don't bother as a phone life-cycle is very short. As hinted above, the very best thing you can do is install a custom firmware. I've got an Orange San Fransisco, I installed the latest Cyanogen ROM and the phone is twice the phone it was. Better battery life and better operation.

Thank Post
    Go for the S2, it's a brilliant phone, you won't be disappointed I just got one a few days ago. I didn't wait for the Nexus for a few reasons. First, it's a effectively a beta product, if you want to pay to be a beta tester, then go ahead, me I'll wait until they've sorted out any niggles with Android 4. Also, you can pick up an S2 free on a contract at 23.50 a month (Phones 4U), the Nexus will be 35 plus to get it free. Samsung have already said that any phone model up to 18 months old that is capable of running Android 4 will get the upgrade, so the S2 will get it at some point.

Thank Post
    Also things like Android Beam and Face Unlock require the right hardware in your phone (NFC/front facing camera)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JJonas View Post
    Also things like Android Beam and Face Unlock require the right hardware in your phone (NFC/front facing camera)
    The S2 has a front facing camera and the latest versions of it have NFC, although you need to check when buying if it will have NFC.

Thank Post
    I was looking at this one
    https://www.virginmobile.com/vm/view...ringId=7493769

Dont see NFC mentioned anywhere.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ihaveaproblem View Post
    I was looking at this one
    https://www.virginmobile.com/vm/view...ringId=7493769

Dont see NFC mentioned anywhere.
    It's just started through Orange in the UK atm, see List of NFC phones, others are beginning to move across once old stocks have run out.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast