+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Samsung's Galaxy Nexus gets official: 4.65" HD SAMOLED display, ICS (and a barometer) in Technical; Engadget has the full details. The official Nexus website ( google.com/nexus ) is bit lacking in detail. The phone itself ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,963 Times in 2,178 Posts

Samsung's Galaxy Nexus gets official: 4.65" HD SAMOLED display, ICS (and a barometer)

Engadget has the full details. The official Nexus website (google.com/nexus) is bit lacking in detail. The phone itself will be released on Three and Vodafone next month (other networks haven't announced their plans yet).

engadget.com/2011/10/18/samsung-galaxy-nexus-hands-on/
    engadget.com/tag/galaxy+nexus/

Wait no more. Google and Samsung have just made the long-awaited Galaxy Nexus (not longer the Nexus Prime, as we'd once heard) official here in Hong Kong, and the specifications are downright drool-worthy. Those with bantam hands need not apply, as this 4.65-inch behemoth is bound to bring back talk of Sidetalkin'. Naturally, Ice Cream Sandwich is onboard, with Google finally revealing the version number as 4.0. Other specs include an HD Super AMOLED display (1,280 x 720), a 1.2GHz dual-core processor, 5 megapixel rear camera (with LED flash), a 1.3 megapixel front-facing cam, 1080p video recording and playback, a newfangled panorama mode, a 3.5mm headphone jack and Bluetooth 3.0. You'll also find USB 2.0, 802.11a/b/g/n WiFi, an embedded NFC module, accelerometer, compass, gyro, proximity sensor and even a barometer -- yeah, a barometer. Finishing things out, there's 1GB of RAM, 16 or 32GB of internal storage space and a 1,750mAh battery. As for radios? There's an HSPA+ model on tap, while an LTE version will "be available depending on region." There's nary a mention of carrier in the press release we're holding, but based on earlier leaks, a 4G build for Verizon Wireless seems a lock.

Focusing on Ice Cream Sandwich for a tick, Android 4.0 will bring "an entirely new look and feel to Android," boasting a redesigned user interface, bolstered multitasking / notifications, full-on NFC support and a new People app, which enables users to browse friends, family and coworkers' photos whilst peeking their status updates from Google+. ICS also introduces Face Unlock, which taps into facial recognition protocols in order to unlock your handset. And then there's Android Beam, an NFC-based technology that allows you to "quickly share webpages, apps and YouTube videos by simply tapping two phones together." According to Goog, the "lock screen, home screen, phone app and everything in between has been rethought and redesigned," and this is quite the beastly phone to launch with. Pics and a link to register for more info await you below, and PR per usual is after the break. (Source)

Thank Post
    Hmm...

Galaxy Nexus with Ice Cream Sandwich: pictures, video, and hands-on « This Is My Next

As to overall performance, we saw a good deal of stutter in the Galaxy Nexus before us. Taps were not always recognized and there were occasional delays in performing an instruction, though in Google’s defense, it was a phone fully loaded with running tasks and the software is being continually improved and optimized (i.e. it’s not yet fully baked). That having been said, it unfortunately remains the case that Android isn’t as swift and responsive as iOS or Windows Phone (or even MeeGo Harmattan on the N9). Or at least it wasn’t on the demo phone we got a look at. The subtle, pervasive lag that has characterized the Android UI since it inception is still there, which is not a heartening thing to hear when you’re talking about a super-powered dual-core device like the Galaxy Nexus.

Thank Post
    The screen is a bit disappointing.

The Scourge Of Pentile Returns With The Galaxy Nexus
    As a man once said: “Fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can’t get fooled again.” How true that saying is regarding the promises of high-definition mobile screens. Samsung fooled me once with the Galaxy S series, the Pentile-based display of which gave me headaches just to look at. And now, after they fix that problem with the Galaxy S II, I hear they’ve brought it back for the Galaxy Nexus? Can’t get fooled again, Samsung. Can’t get fooled again. (Source)
    Galaxy Nexus with curved 4.65" OLED display
    Samsung and Google have unveiled their new smartphone called Galaxy Nexus. In this article take a look at the 4.65-inch Super AMOLED display with 1280x720 HD resolution, and explain why it is not as awesome as it sound. (Source)

Thank Post
    The Verge have posted their review of the Galaxy Nexus. The video is definitely worth watching.

Video: www.theverge.com/2011/11/17/2568348/galaxy-nexus-review#section_6

The Galaxy Nexus is the best Android phone ever made. It's one of the best smartphones ever made, and with a couple of minor tweaks (particularly to the camera), it could be the best smartphone ever produced.

Thank Post
    I just ordered my Nexus Hope it's good. Should be.
    If I don't like it I'll swap it for an SII haha

This is the first phone I've ever bought in my life^^

Thank Post
    My phone still not arrived!!!
    How long these contract phones usually take grrrr

Thank Post
    The 32GB Galaxy Nexus is due to be released early next month (w/c 6th February)...

android.modaco.com/page/news/_/android/white-16gb-galaxy-nexus-and-black-32gb-galaxy-n-r152

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread