+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, iOS5 - Update Issues in Technical; Originally Posted by GrumbleDook I did an upgrade from the previous build on the iPad2, so will DFU that and ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,324 Times in 805 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    I did an upgrade from the previous build on the iPad2, so will DFU that and might do the iPhone at the same time because I can.
    Beta upgrade to GM was/is not possible, it had to be a Restore which is the same as DFU so your good to go.

Thank Post
    Started mine last night at about 8pm. Took around 3 hours to download, then kept getting error 3200. Gave up in the end and finished it off when I got to school today ... took about half an hour to finish it off.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I did my iPad last night and it took about 30 - 45 minutes. Guess I was lucky?

Thank Post
    will do my iPad when i get home, hopefully some of the 200 features are noticeable

Thank Post
    same as all of the above. ^^

downloaded the update in my Dell for the Mrs 3Gs in about 20minutes but had the 3200 error code until about 11pm. By the time the MBP had downloaded the lion o/s update (800mb) had come down and installed I think the world and his iDog were downloading. First iOS download failed about halfwaythrough, an hour i. I restarted the download and the second half was coming down at 1.25mbps, finished at some stage early this morning.

found this
    Fifty iOS 5 tips | Reviews | CNET UK
    Seems to apply mostly to the phones rather than the iPad extra features.

Finally found the camera button from the lock screen when i accidentally double clicked the lock button. Best thing about apple is the "Here's the update but you'll have to google it to find out all the features" approach (Or maybe I'm just simple?)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laptopsandspares View Post
    same as all of the above. ^^

downloaded the update in my Dell for the Mrs 3Gs in about 20minutes but had the 3200 error code until about 11pm. By the time the MBP had downloaded the lion o/s update (800mb) had come down and installed I think the world and his iDog were downloading. First iOS download failed about halfwaythrough, an hour i. I restarted the download and the second half was coming down at 1.25mbps, finished at some stage early this morning.

found this
    Fifty iOS 5 tips | Reviews | CNET UK
    Seems to apply mostly to the phones rather than the iPad extra features.

Finally found the camera button from the lock screen when i accidentally double clicked the lock button. Best thing about apple is the "Here's the update but you'll have to google it to find out all the features" approach (Or maybe I'm just simple?)
    Amazing how much of the stuff in that update that is already in Windows Phone 7.5. Don't worry, Apple make it "revolutionary" to be able to flag emails

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by deceptivex View Post
    Amazing how much of the stuff in that update that is already in Windows Phone 7.5. Don't worry, Apple make it "revolutionary" to be able to flag emails
    lol saucer of milk, table two?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 974 Posts
    Took me about 3 hours or so :

Ensured firewall was disabled, ran the software updater to ensure iTunes was up to date as possible, then backed up my iphone with contacts etc, used the restore button in itunes to restore my iphone to factory defaults and then it allowed me to update to iOS 5 as it had already spent about 3 hours downloading the iOS 5 file ( which was only 775mb give or take a bit ) on a 50mbps connection, me thinks the VM router is flakey after all or i need to do a power cycle on it.

Thank Post
    I managed to brick my phone (Yeah! Go me!) and ended up calling Applecare for an hour. Had the hold down the power button + home button together for 10 seconds and then release the power button while still holding the home button and then connect the phone to the computer while iTunes is running.

It took some time to work out the proper process as the guy on the phone was telling me to release the power button when the apple logo came up.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi View Post
    I managed to brick my phone (Yeah! Go me!) and ended up calling Applecare for an hour. Had the hold down the power button + home button together for 10 seconds and then release the power button while still holding the home button and then connect the phone to the computer while iTunes is running.

It took some time to work out the proper process as the guy on the phone was telling me to release the power button when the apple logo came up.
    I haven't managed that yet although have seen more people with windows PC's do it more often - maybe the iOS gets corrupted during download or someit, although it is meant to check it before giving it the thumbs up to upload said firmware to the phone so not sure

Thank Post
    the 3200 error is itunes timing out when its trying to verify the IPSW, its nothing to do with a corrupt file, the only reason it would brick it would be losing connection to the device, but it sounds like @HodgeHi's phone was in full DFU mode rather than restore mode

the 3200 errors were freuqent last night because the world and there iwife were trying to update withing 10 mins of the release and even apples data center and server clusters could not keep up with the demand

12. Thanks to HaleStorm from:

mac_shinobi (13th October 2011)

Thank Post
    One thing I've just noticed. Even though it did tell me it would leave my data alone, including contacts I've just realised. all my contacts have vanished !!! good job I have a backup.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by crazytechnician View Post
    One thing I've just noticed. Even though it did tell me it would leave my data alone, including contacts I've just realised. all my contacts have vanished !!! good job I have a backup.
    Don't panic. mine did that. I went in and out of the contacts app a couple of times and they magically reappeared!! Besides, they're all in the cloud

15. Thanks to laptopsandspares from:

crazytechnician (13th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,324 Times in 805 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crazytechnician View Post
    One thing to note if you sync at work and your phone book normally syncs into outlook 2010, when you add an exchange server outlook will set the default data store to exchanges one rather then the personal one which means iTunes uses exchanges address book. I had my phone syncing to outlook before linking outlook to an exchange server. When I synced my phone after I suddenly found all my contacts were gone because iTunes doesnt let you select where to pull the data from and uses the default which is changed to the exchange data store, which was a blank address book. Now to use personal and exchange (aka personal / work address books) before syncing I have to switch the default Data File to Personal Folders then exit outlook and only then run iTunes and syncing. After thats done I switch them back around and run outlook (use control panel->mail)
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 13th October 2011 at 03:09 PM.

17. Thanks to ZeroHour from:

crazytechnician (13th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laptopsandspares View Post
    Don't panic. mine did that. I went in and out of the contacts app a couple of times and they magically reappeared!! Besides, they're all in the cloud
    Tried a few times, still nothing. I have my contacts in a backup so not all lost, just panicked me a bit when i first saw it. Sometimes wish I was in the cloud

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast