+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Amazon Kindle Fire in Technical; If it came in at 130, I'd get one. But, as pointed out earlier, I'd be surprised to see it ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If it came in at 130, I'd get one. But, as pointed out earlier, I'd be surprised to see it much under 200.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Put it this way - the new normal kindle is $79, but is 89 in the UK. Using the same figures, it means it'll end up around 225.

Still, its a good price, and I'm interested in it too.

Gonna get my mom one of the new kindles though I think!
    Actually, what costs $79 in the USA is the advert supported version of the basic Kindle. What we're getting here is the version without ads which costs $109 over there. That works out at roughly 70 and we're paying 74 before the VAT so I'd say that's pretty fair. If this holds for the Fire once it arrives, I'd expect to pay about 160-170 for it.

Thank Post
    I would much rather use the 200 or so and use it towards a mac laptop, as I can do all the stuff on the tablet that I can on the laptop and probably faster, music, videos, web browse, check email, use skype or the likes to mac calls, install windows on the mac laptop or use a VM for windows / linux etc etc.

Amazon do a kindle app so can do that

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    I would much rather use the 200 or so and use it towards a mac laptop, as I can do all the stuff on the tablet that I can on the laptop and probably faster, music, videos, web browse, check email, use skype or the likes to mac calls, install windows on the mac laptop or use a VM for windows / linux etc etc.

Kind of agaist the point.

Tablet instant on do quick stuff put down real computer(or even a mac) more complex stuff

Thank Post

Lol, only a Mac fan would have the brass neck to complain that a 200 tablet doesn have the same functionality as a 1000 laptop What Apple should be worried about is that on the face of it Amazon can, for less than half the price, produce a tablet that does 90% of what an ipad does. Plus with the tie-in to amazon online services and Android OS it'll likely do quite a few things that the ipad can't! I get what you mean about the limited functionality of most current tablets though. In fact that's the main reason I bought an 11" netbook earlier this yaer as I didn't feel that the tablet's out at the moment could replace a proper laptop with Windows/OSX.

Having said that there'll always be folks out there willing to pay a premium to get Apple's tablet so there's a big enough market for both! As I said I'd be unwilling to pay 500 for a tablet at the moment but I would quite happily pay 150-200 for one if it contained the functionality I wanted.
    Last edited by flyinghaggis; 29th September 2011 at 05:31 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,395 Times in 1,773 Posts
    I can do all the stuff on the tablet that I can on the laptop and probably faster
    41.8% faster apparently...

Miratech has conducted a study to determine how web browsing differs between an iPad and a computer.

Conclusion: It's hard to browse the web with an iPad. (Source)

7. 2 Thanks to Arthur:

nephilim (1st October 2011), ZeroHour (29th September 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,294 Times in 787 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Thats awesome to try and beat down the silly people that pleep about how they MUST have a iPad because they will become more efficient.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinghaggis View Post
    Lol, only a Mac fan would have the brass neck to complain that a 200 tablet doesn have the same functionality as a 1000 laptop What Apple should be worried about is that on the face of it Amazon can, for less than half the price, produce a tablet that does 90% of what an ipad does. Plus with the tie-in to amazon online services and Android OS it'll likely do quite a few things that the ipad can't! I get what you mean about the limited functionality of most current tablets though. In fact that's the main reason I bought an 11" netbook earlier this yaer as I didn't feel that the tablet's out at the moment could replace a proper laptop with Windows/OSX.

Having said that there'll always be folks out there willing to pay a premium to get Apple's tablet so there's a big enough market for both! As I said I'd be unwilling to pay 500 for a tablet at the moment but I would quite happily pay 150-200 for one if it contained the functionality I wanted.
    like with everything you get what you pay for ( or not as the case may be ), I prefer OS X but still use windows, too much faffing with linux

Don't have to mess around with drivers or much of ought else

Quote Originally Posted by sted[/URL
    733343]Kind of agaist the point.

Tablet instant on do quick stuff put down real computer(or even a mac) more complex stuff
    SSD ??
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 29th September 2011 at 06:26 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,395 Times in 1,773 Posts
    Has anyone watched Amazon's Kindle Press Conference on YouTube? Going by the sound of the audience somebody should have called 911!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12