+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, 5 Year Old See Ipad For First Time in Technical; Via Learning with 'e's: Don't be surprised To me this shows what the (to coin a phrase) 'net generation' in ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

5 Year Old See Ipad For First Time

Via Learning with 'e's: Don't be surprised

To me this shows what the (to coin a phrase) 'net generation' in the fact they can pick up device and start using it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT4EbM7dCMs

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    To be fair any five year old even one from 30 years ago would probably be fine with new tech, its the fear and lack of experimentation that holds people back. Young children are naturally curious and so have no such issues to hold them back.

3. Thanks to SYNACK from:

RabbieBurns (27th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,887 Times in 1,169 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    To be fair any five year old even one from 30 years ago would probably be fine with new tech, its the fear and lack of experimentation that holds people back. Young children are naturally curious and so have no such issues to hold them back.
    And in the process of preparing them for adulthood this is frequently lost as we try to help them learn how to build structure in their life.

Does this mean that most of us are just big kids at heart?

Thank Post
    The be fair though, he states that she loves playing with his iPhone, so it's not her first encounter with iOS which is very very similar between the 2 devices.

It's like saying it's amazing I can use a new computer because it's my first encounter, it still the same Windows/Mac/linux that I've used before just in a different box....

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    Does this mean that most of us are just big kids at heart?
    If the surround sound gameing chair fits

Thank Post
    I'm not impressed by it at all to be honest. My niece uses the laptop in a similar way and she's 3 so a similar age. Whether you give a kid an iPad or a slate and some chalk they are going to have a play around and see what it does.

8. Thanks to Hightower from:

RabbieBurns (27th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Agreed, it's not an "amazing" video but what it is is a good video to show that often we adults think children are less-able than they really are.

Most adults tend to fear the unknown, preferring to stick to what they do know, often claiming they are "too old" to learn some new piece of tech, or they "like the way they do it now" which usually just means they either can't be bothered to put the effort into learning a new device, or are actual fearful of it (I've encountered several adults older than I who are afraid of "breaking the computer" so they would rather not use it). I tended to find that those types of people were the "I tried it once, it broke, so I'm never using it again" types.

To children, the unknown is a wonderful mystery that they can't wait to explore and widen their world with, they go at it without fear or prejudice. They don't immediately mock or slate a new thing based on past experiences. They don't consider "What if?..." and instead just dive in and start playing.

Thank Post
    Agreed and to be honest if she has played with the Iphone the Ipad would be nothing new to her, just larger. I am pretty sure you could teach a 5 year old to use a laptop just as intuitively, My 5 year old daughter was playing around with powerpoint and embedding videos and music into it.

Thank Post
    Everyone keeps saying 5 year old but I'm sure the article is about a 2 year old?

Thank Post
    I think the confusion came from the title of the youtube video which says something like "first time a 2.5year old sees an iPad" or something

Thank Post
    The confusion comes from Russdev's title which says 5 year old. You could always give him neg rep for confusing people :P

Thank Post
    2 year old? Chrimbs... my son was 15 months when he brute forced my iPhone pin, sent a random facebook status and phoned the house phone... not all at once granted but it really didn't take long...

Open mind and a total lack of the "this could cost a fortune(money or time) if I mess up" are all that are required...

As a parent and self-employed (12+ focused hours working a day) nutter (there's no other word for it!) I now recognise why so many other adults don't have the luxury of that mindset but it's really the best learning approach going..

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread