+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, HTC Desire - HTC Sync in Technical; Right, following on from this thread I decided to install HTC sync on my machine and backup all my contacts ...
    Thank Post

HTC Desire - HTC Sync

Right, following on from this thread I decided to install HTC sync on my machine and backup all my contacts etc... so that should anything go wrong, I won't be one of those people on FB posting a message about how I'm an idiot and need everyones contacts again.

Unfortunately, HTC sync and my phone don't seem to be talking to each other (yes, I have told the phone to use HTC sync when I plug in the USB cable). So my questions are these:
    1. What may I have done wrong?
    2. How can I fix it?
    3. Will the updating the radio software also update the bluetooth or are they totally separate?

I'm pretty much a n00b to flashing smartphones and the like except for when I flashed my Viewty (KU990) to the latest version, which TBH even if I'd bricked it, that would only have improved the darn thing.

Thank Post
    I have a HTC Hero and don't use HTC Sync at all. All my contacts are saved as 'Google' contacts and so are sync'ed with my gmail account. I've had to send it away to get 'fixed' twice now, both times it has been wiped. Once I get it back all I have to do is link it back to my gmail account and all my contacts/mail/calander are pulled down.
    I've never had an issue with it, and love the fact I can edit my contacts from within gmail. No need to install software and drivers and other fluff

I am sure there will be a 'how to' or an app to convert sim contacts to google contacts if you want to go down this road.

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    I believe there is a problem with HTCSynch.

Like arwen, I use Google. Failing that, I'm sure there's an app for it.

Try Titanium Backup.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 807 Posts
    Personally I've found HTC Sync useless, not used it once - I'm not even sure it will backup your contacts?

Best bet is search the market for backup apps that save them to a file on your SD, copy that to a folder on your PC and then you can always put it back if anything goes wrong. I've used the root version of MyBackup which is great, so I suspect the non-root version will be a decent stop gap:

https://market.android.com/details?i...from_developer

Once rooted, I recommend the root version of the above for SMS, contacts, calendar (https://market.android.com/details?i...from_developer) and Titanium Backup for apps (https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result)

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    I forgot Titanium was for rooted devices.

Try Go Contacts it saves to SD.

Thank Post
    Sorted the HTC Sync problem and TBH it's absolute tripe. Syncs contacts with Outlook Express, so I've gone for the backup to SD and then stick another SD card in so that everything is super-dooper safe.

Going to ROOT using the Unrevoked method. Update will follow shortly...hopfully.

Thank Post
    Okay, apparently I won't as there website is down.

*goes off to Google for alternate sources for the correct tools*

EDIT: Now it works... here goes.
    Last edited by DAZZD88; 16th June 2011 at 05:32 PM.

Thank Post
    Got ambitious after much success. Rooting went fine. So did the applying the radio update and the alignment update apparently required for part of the LeeDROID installation (not quite sure but hey). Then I thought, "Let's do this mutha...!!"

...now my phone is seemingly stuck on the pink circle, which on the LeeDROID installation info say that first boot could take a while. Time for sad face?
    Last edited by DAZZD88; 16th June 2011 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Spaz hands.

Thank Post
    Wooo, victory may have been snatched from the jaws of defeat. Reapplied the sd-ext alignment patch, performed a full wipe and formatted the sd-ext, rebooted and now I havewhat appears to be the LeeDROID startup screen.

Thank Post
    Why dont you use google as the sync? It does a whole lot more even keeps the desktop pic backed up. Docs sync, tasks sync, calendars sync and the rest. You can edit all the contacts from the online google account. It just works and without any intervention from the user.

Thank Post
    Does the desire now have the HTC online sync? My desire HD synced up to a htc website which contained all my contacts, messages, etc.

Thank Post
    Victory is mine. Just set all my apps up again and the layout the way I want everything. I think I may well get addicted to changing ROMs.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DAZZD88 View Post
    Wooo, victory may have been snatched from the jaws of defeat. Reapplied the sd-ext alignment patch, performed a full wipe and formatted the sd-ext, rebooted and now I havewhat appears to be the LeeDROID startup screen.
    9 times out of 10 performing a wipe will get you out of the boot loop issue

Thank Post
    Well, after using LeeDrOiD V3.0.7 Bravo GB for most of last night and some of this morning, I have to say that I'm fairly pleased with it. Fair bit more space free on phone (100mb+) and everything is running smoothly. There's it also ships with Titanium Backup, so a backup has been performed. I'm still not sure what the Ext3 partition on my SD card is for though? Something to do with A2SD+ but I don't understand. Lol.

Contemplating Cyanogen, so that I can have proxy support. What else could I expect from Cyanogen?

Thank Post
    The Ext3 partition will be for the ROM's built in A2SD - this is very different to stock A2SD.

Stock A2SD is limited to only those apps that allow it, and will only actually move part of the app, leaving settings etc on internal memory.

ROM specific A2SD on an Ext partition varies in usage, but usually the ROM will default all apps to that partition including [some of] their data.

The Dalvik cache still stays on internal memory on most ROMs though, so you'll still use up some internal memory, but not as much as you would with a stock ROM. There are hacks available to move Dalvik to SD, but I'm of the understanding this can have a drastic impact on performance unless you use a high class (at least class 5) SD card

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast