+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, HTC Desire - HTC Sync in Technical; Originally Posted by DAZZD88 I'm still not sure what the Ext3 partition on my SD card is for though? Something ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DAZZD88 View Post
    I'm still not sure what the Ext3 partition on my SD card is for though? Something to do with A2SD+ but I don't understand.
    The idea with Apps2SD is that when you download an app from the market you can move it out of the phone's (very limited) internal memory onto the ext3/4 partition that you set up on the SD card. Not all apps are made equal, and not all apps support A2SD, but there are tools that can help. I install SDWatch, which will scan any new apps you install and give you a notification that the new app can be moved to the card. Alternatively, just open up Manage Applications from Settings and go to the "On SD card" tab, which gives you a quick and easy list of all apps that can be moved and a checkbox indicating those that you have already moved across.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    ROM specific A2SD on an Ext partition varies in usage, but usually the ROM will default all apps to that partition including [some of] their data.
    Would you expect some apps to install to phone no matter what ROM and partitioning scheme you use, like Adobe Flashplayer, Maps and a few others? If I'm reading the information right, then the applications are using 39mb of internal storage, leaving 109mb free...does that sound right?

Thank Post
    See above!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,294 Times in 884 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DAZZD88 View Post
    Would you expect some apps to install to phone no matter what ROM and partitioning scheme you use, like Adobe Flashplayer, Maps and a few others? If I'm reading the information right, then the applications are using 39mb of internal storage, leaving 109mb free...does that sound right?
    Certain apps should stay on internal memory yes. What @SkywOrca is saying is correct for the Android system by default, however many ROMs change the rules a bit, and 99% of the time, if they're asking for an Ext partition it's because they're going to move your apps over to it - this is not the same as Android's built in A2SD functionality, which doesn't require an Ext partition.

System critical apps and widgets should be left on your internal memory (of course there are exceptions dependent on ROM but generally this is the case), as they quite often won't load up automatically when you boot your phone, so widgets will fail and you might miss important notifications you have set up.

The easiest way (I think) to see exactly what data you are using is to load up Titanium Backup - at the bottom of the main screen it will show how much internal memory, SD memory and Ext memory you have used

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12