+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, android market in Technical; I have an HTC Desire and just bought a Wildfire for daughter, just looking to install apps for her and ...
    Thank Post

android market

I have an HTC Desire and just bought a Wildfire for daughter, just looking to install apps for her and wondering why i can search and find an app on the desire android market app yet cant find it on the wildfire android market app? Whats the difference?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,883 Times in 1,399 Posts
    Blog Entries
    there isnt any difference between my Desire HD and my mrs Samsung Galaxy S market....get a program called app share, then you can share programs between any droid phones

Thank Post
    Some applications only work on some phones, so maybe they're hidden? On a Desire you can download Firefox from the Android market, but on my San Francisco it doesn't appear in the market because it's not compatible.

Ace
    Thank Post
    I've also noticed that an app won't appear as downloadable to your device in market on-line but you have no difficulty finding it and downloading from your phone - go figure!!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It may also be due to the Android version that you are using....

For instance...

Flash Player will only work on 2.3 (I think!), therefore if you have a Wildfire on 2.1, it won't appear in the market!

Who knew that programs could be so clever??? LOL!!!

Thank Post
    Have you tried using AppBrain to search for and add apps to the Wildfire? Not sure if it will allow you to add apps that aren't normally displayed in the Market, but might be worth a go. Also, Chris is correct that some apps are marked by the developer as only compatible with certain devices (for instance, you wouldn't want to add a flashlight app to a phone that doesn't have a camera flash). If you were to attempt to add apps that aren't listed you might get some undesirable behaviour and several force-closes, but sometimes apps just aren't listed for certain devices out of laziness on the part of the dev.

Thank Post

Apps are hidden depending on specs

I have had a G1 and a HTC Desire. My other half has an Xperia. I can confirm that apps are hidden in the market depending on the specs of the phone as I have had this question myself.

It is not just android version but also screen size, country and mobile carrier, Presence of a SIM, and some others.

Market Filters | Android Developers

Thank Post
    Thanks, may explain why. Not a major program but one I found helpful called Pintail, allows you to txt a phne with it installed on and find its approx location (with a pin code). txt is auto returned with location. Use it when wife needs to find out where I am when out on bike and I cant hear phone (or fallen off!). Though I would put it on daughters so we know where she is when on way home etc from school. Always has phone on silent so can never get her to answer (although that may be intentional!)
    Simple small app that works, without GPS turned on its only approx but thats ok. Installed Google Latitude for moment.

Ace
    Thank Post
    Here's another oddity, phone doesn't appear (or is greyed out) in app list but if you seach for app 'apk' file, download (copy to phone if downloaded from PC) and install works fine (as does app).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_ View Post
    Some applications only work on some phones, so maybe they're hidden? On a Desire you can download Firefox from the Android market, but on my San Francisco it doesn't appear in the market because it's not compatible.
    Pretty much this ^

I remember the reason why I got the Desire rather than the original Wildfire was down to the difference in screen resolutions, which meant that some apps for the Desire were not compatible with the Wildfire.

EDIT: Pintail sounds like an interesting app. So when you text the phone that has Pintail on you just send a normal text?

2nd EDIT: Nevermind, just found the info. Seems really good.
    Last edited by DAZZD88; 9th June 2011 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Adding question

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    Here's another oddity, phone doesn't appear (or is greyed out) in app list but if you seach for app 'apk' file, download (copy to phone if downloaded from PC) and install works fine (as does app).
    I think that in most cases, it is possible to download the apk of any app on the market....

How stable it will be is purely down to the phone.

On my LG540, I downloaded a ton of apps that weren't meant to be able to go on....but they did....with varying degrees of success!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread