+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, HTC to stop locking bootloader in Technical; HTC to stop locking smartphone bootloader code ? reghardware So okay, this may not seem like a big deal immediately, ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,259 Times in 790 Posts
    Blog Entries

HTC to stop locking bootloader

HTC to stop locking smartphone bootloader code ? reghardware

So okay, this may not seem like a big deal immediately, but basically what we're seeing here is the manufacturer of a lot of the biggest selling android handsets listening to community requests and giving people an easy way to install a custom ROM, etc

As Sony Ericcson are also releasing bootloader unlocks for their newer models, we may be looking at a shift in manufacturers perspective - and maybe modders/rooters won't be seen in such an unfavourable light

Me likey!

2. 5 Thanks to Domino:

j17sparky (10th June 2011), LosOjos (27th May 2011), SimpleSi (9th June 2011), stevenlong1985 (14th June 2011), teejay (27th May 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    At last! Hardware vendors accepting that once we've paid up it's our hardware to install what we want to on!

Thank Post
    So how long before I get my 0.93 desire bootloader unlocked then?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JJonas View Post
    So how long before I get my 0.93 desire bootloader unlocked then?
    I've read that people have had success using unrevoked on 0.93

How To: Root the HTC Desire (Unrevoked Method) (Updated 1.18.11) | TheUnlockr

Thank Post
    As I am under a Vodafone warranty at the moment I am reluctant to go about it in an unofficial way.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,259 Times in 790 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As I am under a Vodafone warranty at the moment I am reluctant to go about it in an unofficial way.
    They've not stated whether existing models will get the same treatment - but their facebook page seems to be a hive of activity at the moment, so might be worth keeping eyes open for more announcements....

Thank Post
    What a difference just over a week makes, must be something to do with being at home and bored during half term. Have rooted my HTC Desire and now running Cool-Aces-V6. I tried LeeDroid and NeoPhyte but they got stuck at the HTC loading screen. If anybody can tell my why they didnt work I would like to know.

Thank Post
    What a difference just over a week makes, must be something to do with being at home and bored during half term. Have rooted my HTC Desire and now running Cool-Aces-V6. I tried LeeDroid and NeoPhyte but they got stuck at the HTC loading screen. If anybody can tell my why they didnt work I would like to know.
    It's possible that you didn't do a complete system wipe? There's an option in the bootloader to do this (it'll only wipe settings and cache, it won't touch your SD card) and quite often this needs doing when switching ROMs, sometimes even when you just upgrade a ROM

EDIT:
    also, I strongly suggest you give CyanogenMOD and Oxygen a go - Cyanogen for bells and whistles, Oxygen for a very lean system

Thank Post
    I did do a system wipe so that's not the answer. Cyanogen was the first ROM I tried but I like too many of the Sense features.

Can someone run through how to revert back to a stock ROM? In case I need to send the phone off for a repair.

Thank Post
    Can someone run through how to revert back to a stock ROM? In case I need to send the phone off for a repair.
    Exactly the same way you install any ROM, you just need to locate and download the zip (Google should bring back plenty of results). As for un-rooting, I'm not sure... although I don't think they'd be able to tell anyway (so long as you remember to uninstall any root only apps!)

Thank Post
    I believe just installing your stock branded ROM will un-root the device, since the stock ROMs aren't rooted. Reversing any modifications to your HBOOT or recovery might not be quite so straightforward, however, but I'm sure I've seen copious numbers of guides out there, just search XDA-developers.

Thank Post
    Is this the same as the Nexus One? If I hold down the trackball while booting it asks 'Select Bootloader'

Thank Post
    Never tried holding the trackball down when turning the phone on, but you can access bootloader by holding Vol-Down whilst pressing the power button, from there you can get access to the recovery module, which is the section you would normally use to install new Roms. Also, on Oxygen (don't know what Stock / other Roms do) you get the option to Reboot into Recovery, Bootloader or back in normally.

On my phone, for instance, I've now replaced my HBOOT (bootloader) with the Alpharev S-OFF one, the recovery module with Clockwork, and the main system Rom with Oxygen. Should I need to blast the phone back to stock I'd have to do some research on how to revert out some of the less obvious tweaks, but I'd hazard a guess that no-one at the phone company would even know, or bother, to check these things.

Thank Post
    How easy is the Alpharev S-OFF patch?
    I want to do this to my HTC Desire as I like the look of the insertcoin rom, but im not sure if I need to have stock HTC firmware on there first, or where to get it from if I do.
    Last edited by JJonas; 8th June 2011 at 02:17 PM.

Thank Post
    How easy is the Alpharev S-OFF patch?
    I want to do this to my HTC Desire as I like the look of the insertcoin rom, but im not sure if I need to have stock HTC firmware on there first, or where to get it from if I do.
    So long as you read the instructions (ideally twice just to make sure) and don't panic then it's pretty easy. I know there have been a few people who've had trouble but not heard of anyone bricking their phone, just need to be calm and patient. I did it ages ago and it's well worth it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast