+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, HTC to stop locking bootloader in Technical; Do I need stock HTC Firmware or can it go over top of whatever rom I have installed first?...

Thank Post
    Do I need stock HTC Firmware or can it go over top of whatever rom I have installed first?

Thank Post
    I think you need a non-a2sd rom so ideally the stock rom. Take a look on xda. Think this has been discussed in the last few pages of this thread

Thank Post
    Agreed, read the instructions, read them again, don't panic... All good advice. I also ran my patches whilst watching the video tutorial (for noobs!) on the XDA-dev desire forums (linkie) before starting, which helped prevent any silly errors. Didn't hurt that I'd let a guy at work run his patches before I did mine and learnt from a couple of mistakes he made (mainly with the partitioning with GParted, tbh, the Alpharev bit worked fine). The tutorial really does explain everything, though, so as long as you follow what he does as he does it you should be fine.

To be honest, I don't think I've yet found anything I needed to do with my phone that required S-OFF, but I figured since I was remodding to Oxygen anyway I should just patch everything.

Thank Post
    So I should be ok if I go back to my rooted Nandroid backup of Vodafone Froyo 2.2?

Thank Post
    Doesn't require a non A2SD rom, but they recommend that you don't have/use a data to SD features. I ran Alpharev over my old NexTsense Rom, which had Froyo A2SD and it was fine.

The biggest headache I found with the Alpharev site was their ubergeeky lack of explanation of what their various re-partitioning schemes were for and/or the potential pitfalls that you could encounter from using them. Unless you really want to repartition your root filesystem, just pick the generic download at the top.

Edit: Alpharevving a rooted stock rom is easily the best way to ensure that you have nothing peculiar happen, so you should be fine. Just follow all the advice, also ensure your battery is fully charged, and make sure you don't use that old broken USB cable that you have that sometimes cuts out whilst plugged in. You need to ensure the connection to the computer is available constantly throughout the process. Best of luck, you'll be fine!
    Last edited by SkywOrca; 8th June 2011 at 04:14 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JJonas View Post
    So I should be ok if I go back to my rooted Nandroid backup of Vodafone Froyo 2.2?
    So long as you haven't messed with your HBOOT you should be, if you change the HBOOT, you have to change it back before you flash any new ROM, or your phone won't boot (or at least it probably won't, you might get lucky and it'll fit, but you're best not to risk it!)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    So long as you haven't messed with your HBOOT you should be, if you change the HBOOT, you have to change it back before you flash any new ROM, or your phone won't boot (or at least it probably won't, you might get lucky and it'll fit, but you're best not to risk it!)
    Err, confused. The only time you change your HBOOT is when you Alpharev. And you can happily re-mod your phone after you've installed Alpharev. Usually the only problem you might bump into whilst modding your phone is that you haven't wiped enough of the various caches etc. So long as you don't do silly things, like yanking a USB cable out mid-process, or switching the phone off a mod should go through fine. I nearly always panic a little bit after a mod when the initial boot up takes AAAGES, but after that it's usually fine.

Just follow the noob's video tutorial and you shouldn't have any issues.

Edit: sorry, I just worked out what you meant by the HBOOT thing. Yes, if you use a customised HBOOT that tweaks the partitions specifically for certain roms (like the Oxygen one, which creates extremely small system partitions in favour of expanding the apps part) then you might find your chunky Sense 3.0 + all the bells and whistles rom won't fit. That's why I suggested just using the stock partitioned HBOOT from Alpharev. Incidentally, if you ever did do this and found that your rom installation fails, you should still be able to access the HBOOT/recovery screens, so you should always be able to extract yourself from the doodoo.
    Last edited by SkywOrca; 8th June 2011 at 04:24 PM.

Thank Post
    Will doing Alpharev mess with where clockwork recovery mod is installed?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JJonas View Post
    Will doing Alpharev mess with where clockwork recovery mod is installed?
    No reason why it should no, I installed AlphaRev long after Clockwork with no problems.

Goign back to restoring it to factory state for repair, I agree with @SkywOrca that it's very unlikely a techie would check or care, but if you are worried then the biggest giveaway will be the AlphaRev boot screen (Heath Ledger's Joker, randomly?), but that can easily be replaced and I'm sure the original HTC one will be online somewhere for you to use

Thank Post
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=794638
    Check out Android Flasher - i found it very helpful

[PC Application] GoldCardTool - Android @ MoDaCo
    Use this tool and get your unique Goldcard file emailed to you - basically its your get out of jail card
    You just need to go upto step 6 for now

Thank Post
    @JJonas - did you install InsertCoinData++? Been fiddling with it but stuck in boot loop, gonna have to revert to Oxygen at this rate

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    @JJonas - did you install InsertCoinData++? Been fiddling with it but stuck in boot loop, gonna have to revert to Oxygen at this rate
    Did you get caught out by the customised HBOOT partitions? I wouldn't expect there to be any major unreported issues with a popular mod like InsertCoin getting stuck in a boot loop, if that were happening to most people then the dev really should have sorted it pretty quick or pulled the release that doesn't work..?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SkywOrca View Post
    Did you get caught out by the customised HBOOT partitions? I wouldn't expect there to be any major unreported issues with a popular mod like InsertCoin getting stuck in a boot loop, if that were happening to most people then the dev really should have sorted it pretty quick or pulled the release that doesn't work..?
    Don't know what went wrong, I wasn't paying much attention (I was at work after all!) so I probably missed something simple - just started the whole process again (reflashed HBOOT, cleared cache, reflashed ROM, refalshed radio) and it all works fine now. Although I think I might soon go back to Oxygen lol...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,973 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    They've not stated whether existing models will get the same treatment
    HTC Sensation Bootloader Will Be Unlocked

HTC shouldn't have locked it in the first place though!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    HTC shouldn't have locked it in the first place though!
    It's pretty common practice amongst mobile devices (not just Android), so you can't really blame them - at least they're putting it right now!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12