+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 4 of 4
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Help Choosing and Security - urgent - Sorry in Technical; Hi Folks Can anyone advise please, I am looking into getting some tablet devices for our new learning resource centre, ...
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    21
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Help Choosing and Security - urgent - Sorry

    Hi Folks
    Can anyone advise please, I am looking into getting some tablet devices for our new learning resource centre, and I need to quote in the next two days to the CDM committe to approve finance.

    I have 3 questions:

    1) What would people recommend - the scenario is 5 devices, located in a learning resource centre, (small library, small school). To complement 5 PCs and 5 Apple Macs in their. These will be used primarilly for web based research and online apps. Ideally I need them to force students to log in to the school network so I can verify who is using them. AND. to allow them to store onto the school network in their user name areas. (Currently windows server 2008r2. but will be 2010 soon).

    2) Security - Does anyone know if any of these have a lockable solution, i.e. a cable that can be attached?

    3) Charging / Docking - Do any have a docking station that will do the charging for me rather than cables.

    I am thinking of one next to each of a small (5) collection of comfy seats.

    I have seen the Samsung GT-P1000 Galaxy Tablet. This seems resonably priced and 3rd party companies make charging/docking stations but no idea about security...

    Any thoughts VERY much appreciated. Many thanks, Tony.

  2. #2


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    6,576
    Thank Post
    228
    Thanked 852 Times in 731 Posts
    Rep Power
    294
    1
    server 2010? is there even one as far as im aware 2008r2 is the latest version (might be exchange/sbs 2010) but i dont expect a "new" server os until windows 8 is out

    by force to log into the network do you mean ad users or a proxy just for internet (android devices with honeycomb 3.0 DONT out of the box support proxy (3.1 does aparantly) and i cant see a way of forcing people to use ad credetials to log in i just dont think it was something the designers even considered. It is possible to connect to windows shares to get data off but short of kidds manually adding or an admin creating a big list of shared folders i dont see that working

    2
    honestly havnt looked but i dont remember seeing one on my eeepad transformer

    3
    most probably do have some sort of dock again the eeepad has a dock thats a keyboard/2nd battery

    the only way i honestly see them being used in an ad environment is to install rdp software on them and use that (which seems to work quite well)

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    21
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    server 2010? is there even one as far as im aware 2008r2 is the latest version (might be exchange/sbs 2010) but i dont expect a "new" server os until windows 8 is out
    Probably my mistake, my Network Manager knows all that stuff, I try to keep up to date... but...

    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    by force to log into the network do you mean ad users or a proxy just for internet (android devices with honeycomb 3.0 DONT out of the box support proxy (3.1 does aparantly) and i cant see a way of forcing people to use ad credetials to log in i just dont think it was something the designers even considered. It is possible to connect to windows shares to get data off but short of kidds manually adding or an admin creating a big list of shared folders i dont see that working.
    Thanks - I was thinking along the lines of a normal "style" windows log in screen when the device boots up, which connects to our active directory to check username and passwords... I think maybe it might mean these types of devices are not what I was looking for, I like the idea of a quick booting device which specialises in internet use etc but I can not afford to forgoe on user responsiblities and tracability of who has done what and when on them.. perhaps I need to look at some other tablet style device that will work with Active Directory...

    Many thanks, Tony.

  4. #4


    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Rural heck
    Posts
    2,662
    Thank Post
    120
    Thanked 434 Times in 353 Posts
    Rep Power
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
    I was thinking along the lines of a normal "style" windows log in screen when the device boots up, which connects to our active directory to check username and passwords... I think maybe it might mean these types of devices are not what I was looking for, I like the idea of a quick booting device which specialises in internet use etc but I can not afford to forgoe on user responsiblities and tracability of who has done what and when on them.. perhaps I need to look at some other tablet style device that will work with Active Directory...

    Many thanks, Tony.
    There are some windows based tablets, although when I tryed one (RM Slate) I found it slow. It also has the same issues as netbooks. Many websites and applications don't fit on the screen very well.

    EDIT: Not to mention that most applications simply aren't designed with this sort of use in mind.
    Last edited by K.C.Leblanc; 23rd May 2011 at 04:11 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Global Desktop Help! Urgent! Urgent!
    By TechSupp in forum Windows Server 2008 R2
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 21st May 2011, 05:12 PM
  2. Some help with choosing Crimbo presents!
    By Little-Miss in forum General Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25th November 2010, 09:50 PM
  3. Choosing SAN questions
    By gshaw in forum Hardware
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 23rd November 2010, 02:38 PM
  4. Help choosing a domain name
    By SYSMAN_MK in forum General Chat
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 20th April 2010, 12:56 PM
  5. Choosing a replacement projector
    By laserblazer in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 16th October 2007, 06:53 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •