+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Proxy on Android in Technical; Originally Posted by ben604 I've just updated my Desire HD to Gingerbread and I've got an integrated proxy tool. Works ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,201 Times in 814 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ben604 View Post
    I've just updated my Desire HD to Gingerbread and I've got an integrated proxy tool. Works fine too, well on the browser at least.
    Are you using a custom ROM or HTC Sense?

Thank Post
    It's the standard OTA update. No custom ROM. I read they still hadn't addressed the proxy issue somewhere, so it's a bit of a surprise...My Android version is 2.3.3, HTC Sense version is 2.1.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,201 Times in 814 Posts
    That is interesting, that would make HTC the first manufacturer to "hack" the Android source to add features (as far as I'm aware)... fair play HTC for addressing the needs of it's users!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    That is interesting, that would make HTC the first manufacturer to "hack" the Android source to add features (as far as I'm aware)... fair play HTC for addressing the needs of it's users!
    by the looks its a standard feature of honeycomb 3.1 so possibly just back ported

Thank Post
    and I've got an integrated proxy tool.
    Is it selectable depending on AP/SSID or just 1 setting on or off?

regards
    Simon

Thank Post
    I've just updated my Desire HD to Gingerbread and I've got an integrated proxy tool
    I am on 2.3.4 Nexus One and don't have the proxy or cant find it. Where are you finding this tool?

Thank Post
    Many thanks to the OP!
    Although none of the suggestions in his post worked for my Hero, I managed to find ProxyDroid in the market, which enabled me to use our WiFi here at work.
    Push mail, internet, 95% of widgets (one of two wont auto update), market updates and purchases ALL work and download through our proxy.
    I've only used about 6meg of data this week since I found ProxyDroid!
    (HTC Hero running Cronos Ginger 2.2.4)

Thank Post
    Many thanks to the OP!
    Although none of the suggestions in his post worked for my Hero, I managed to find ProxyDroid in the market, which enabled me to use our WiFi here at work.
    Push mail, internet, 95% of widgets (one of two wont auto update), market updates and purchases ALL work and download through our proxy.
    I've only used about 6meg of data this week since I found ProxyDroid!
    (HTC Hero running Cronos Ginger 2.2.4)

9. Thanks to warface from:

SimpleSi (14th June 2011)

Thank Post
    i can confirm android 3.1 does proxy and even copes with proxys that require login (you just need to use browser first to log in and then apps i tried seem fine

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    i can confirm android 3.1 does proxy and even copes with proxys that require login (you just need to use browser first to log in and then apps i tried seem fine
    Does it cope with alternative DNS though, for example if your on a work wireless network can you specify the DNS.

Thank Post
    not looked its not something ive had need of but as you can manually assign ip address etc i assume you could just give it an appropriate ip/subnet/gateway/dns

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan View Post
    Alright people. There's this app called Transproxy which seems to be a viable solution to the proxy problem. Now, I am not sure if it will work with all your android phones out there. But from what I've tested, it works just fine. I do my testing on an HTC Desire btw. Like always, I tested it in a network where internet access is through a proxy server, but without authentication. So if someone could check this out on an authentication based proxy network, it would be real helpful!

There's not much to making this work. You just install it and when you run the app, you'll see the above screen. Just enter the details and let it run. It's as simple as that. Even n00bs will find this one easy to work with.
    Please comment and let me know if this app works for you. If not, well I'll give you some other suggestions.
    This works for my HTC Desire, the phone is rooted and running a custom ROM called Redux. In order to get it working I turn on the wireless connection, join the school Wi-Fi then I run the Transproxy app and set the proxy.

I was hoping to connect to our exchange e-mail server and download e-mails, but there appears to be an issue with SSL certificates (Config option on exchange server).

I forgot to mention that this solution allows me to access the schools really speedy internet on my wireless connection, I can also connect to local intranets

Ace
    Thank Post
    OK I'll give you my experiences getting my Galaxy Tab connect to our network (WPA2 through a proxy).

First off for some reason the GTab doesn't recognise the security protocol as WPA2 but instead sees it as WEP (go figure)!

The Tab is stock (froyo 2.2) but rooted (using z4root). I used ProxyDroid (needs root) to set up the proxy details. It allows you identify a 'profile' for a network and automatically apply that profile as soon as the network is detected, this means it will switch to my home network without intervention - cool.

I then created a new 'wifi network' (same SSID as the one currently seen by the tab as WEP) with the WPA2 protocol and provided the passcode.

I ignored all the inbuilt proxy settings in the GTabs wifi settings'.

Some apps can't get through the firewall but all the useful ones work (browsing, market and maps etc).

Hope somebody finds this useful

15. 2 Thanks to Ace:

gumbygaz (17th June 2011), SimpleSi (17th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just got my HTC Wildfire with Andriod 2.3.3 and it has integrated proxy. Doesn't do auth though.

Thank Post
    It looks like number of manufacturers are adding there own code to enable at least a basic proxy function.

It still leaves mr google as the bad boy for not having it in the core OS

Simon

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast