+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, How bricking my Desire has made me a ROM addict in Technical; OK, so I (almost) bricked my beautiful desire yesterday. Spent the best part of a day tearing out my hair ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

How bricking my Desire has made me a ROM addict

OK, so I (almost) bricked my beautiful desire yesterday. Spent the best part of a day tearing out my hair until, after trying loads of different fixes, I realised I had missed some TINY detail on the installation instructions (pah, who needs instructions). Now I can't stop installing different ROMs. Yesterday it was Cyanogenmod, this morning it's OpenDesire and now I'm looking at Villain.
    My poor old phone doesn't know what's hit it. Anyone recommend any ROMs for the Desire? I did like Cyanogenmod but I missed HTC Sense.
    Last edited by basicchannel; 17th February 2011 at 01:56 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 729 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by basicchannel View Post
    OK, so I bricked my beautiful desire yesterday. Spent the best part of a day tearing out my hair until, after trying loads of different fixes, I realised I had missed some TINY detail on the installation instructions (pah, who needs instructions). Now I can't stop installing different ROMs. Yesterday it was Cyanogenmod, this morning it's OpenDesire and now I'm looking at Villain.
    My poor old phone doesn't know what's hit it. Anyone recommend any ROMs for the Desire? I did like Cyanogenmod but I missed HTC Sense.
    Oxygen is good, doesn't have sense though.

A *minor* point, but one my OCD just can't let slip, is that you didn't brick your phone - bricking it means breaking it beyond repair i.e. as useful as a brick. What you did was just not install the ROM properly (I'll stop being facetious now, promise! lol)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Oxygen is good, doesn't have sense though.

A *minor* point, but one my OCD just can't let slip, is that you didn't brick your phone - bricking it means breaking it beyond repair i.e. as useful as a brick. What you did was just not install the ROM properly (I'll stop being facetious now, promise! lol)
    OK fairplay. It felt like a brick when it wouldn't get past the HTC startup screen, but it wasn't broken beyond repair.

Now downloading Oxygen BTW.

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Which installation instructions did you use? and which instruction did you miss? I seriously think I should have a go at mine, I've waited long enough.

Thank Post
    Most people (myself included!) follow this wiki: Main Page - CyanogenMod Wiki

It misses a vital step however, one that seems to be hard to find mentioned anywhere: when you change from one ROM to another, you have to wipe user data after you've installed the ROM. There's an option to do that on the bootloader, and it refers to system settings etc. on the internal phone memory; it won't touch your SD card.

6. 2 Thanks to LosOjos:

creese (17th February 2011), tech_guy (17th February 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've gone down the same route, to be honest!

When I bought my LG, I had flashed a new ROM (1.6 -> 2.1) within 3 weeks! I thought that that would be it.....!

A Cyanogenmod for 2.2 was released, and I thought long and hard. But, decided that I'd bide my time and see whether LG would release 2.2 as an Official ROM. No dice....

BUT, I keep an eye on the forums, and 2.2 was running well. People were raving over it! So, 2 weeks ago, I took the bull by the horns, sat down, and installed 2.2.

WOW! What an improvement! But, WAIT.....what's this? 2.3 has been ported? And it'll soon be released?

Well, as soon as that puppy hit the street, I was straight in there! Within 2 weeks of putting 2.2 on, I was upgrading!

2.3, with an over-clocked CPU runs beautifully!

Thankfully, there are no new releases scheduled, so I can sit back and enjoy my 2.3 build LG GT540!!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    I'm running cyanogenmod6.1.1 - do you know of a gingerbread ROM for desire, or is a stable one way too far off?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    I'm running cyanogenmod6.1.1 - do you know of a gingerbread ROM for desire, or is a stable one way too far off?
    Latest RC of Cyanogen is Gingerbread and considered stable (RC7). If you go to "Download ROM" and then "CyanogenMOD" from ROM Manager app on your phone, it's their ready to install right now

I'm waiting for Oxygen to release a stable Gingerbread ROM myself, shouldn't be long now the framework is officially available for download...

EDIT: when I say "considered stable", it's considered stable enough for day to day use now (as opposed to experimental builds which they won't give you the time of day for if you encounter bugs), but it's not an official "stable ROM", although what problems there are with it I don't know... probably best to check here: http://www.cyanogenmod.com/

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.cyanogenmod.com/
    The first CM7 release candidates are starting to roll out for our supported devices! These are builds that are feature-complete and fairly well tested, but still have some minor tweaking that needs done. You should find them stable for everyday use though!

A lot of work has gone into CM7, particularly in the device compatibility area. CodeAurora Forum and OMAPZoom.org have been a huge help, and all the sneaky coders on the CM team who have figured out the remaining issues. And hats off to T-Mobile for open-sourcing their theme engine! Better documentation on creating themes is forthcoming. You’ll also find some very cool new features like a revamped and customizable lockscreen, a restyled music app, “phone goggles”, gesture support everywhere, etc, etc

CM7 is still a work in progress. Some of your favorite features from CM6 might not be there yet, but this is our first checkpoint release and we’ve still got work to do. We also plan to put a bit more visual polish “out of the box” on it.

You can get the latest builds via ROM Manager as they become available, or head over to our forums for manual downloads. Builds of all types are always available on the TDR mirror network.

Thanks, as always, to everyone for their continued support and contributions.
    Last edited by LosOjos; 17th February 2011 at 02:32 PM.

10. Thanks to LosOjos from:

CyberNerd (17th February 2011)

Thank Post
    Will any of these ROMS allow me to keep friendstream? failing that is there a friendstream substitute or a way to install it into another ROM?

Thank Post
    Thankfully, there are no new releases scheduled, so I can sit back and enjoy my 2.3 build LG GT540!!!
    ????
    AFAIK theres no stable 2.3 mods out yet - what one are you running?

Si

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    ????
    AFAIK theres no stable 2.3 mods out yet - what one are you running?

Si
    It's a Cyanogenmod7 and Gingerbread Rom....Works perfectly, so far, Si....

Give me 5 mins and I'll pop a link in for you!

This'll take you straight to the 2.3 download. It will come up as 1.3, but that is the version number.

If you need any help, at all, just give me a shout....or a PM, as I doubt your voice will reach this far!!

*LINK REMOVED....Citing 404 error*
    Last edited by aerospacemango; 17th February 2011 at 04:20 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JJonas View Post
    Will any of these ROMS allow me to keep friendstream? failing that is there a friendstream substitute or a way to install it into another ROM?
    Friendstream is part of HTC Sense, so you won't get it on anything but a Sense based ROM (such as ShadowSense). There are alternatives available; Launcher PRO has it's own version of FriendStream (only on the paid for version, it's about £2), there's T-Mobile Social Hub (free) that looks quite good too, and then there's Seesmic (also free).

Seesmic
    T-Mobile Social Hub
    LauncherPRO

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by basicchannel View Post
    Now downloading Oxygen BTW.
    Let us know how you get on

The thing I love about Oxygen (the ROM, although the actual stuff is pretty handy too!) is that it's tiny! I immediately installed all of the apps I had when I was usuing Cyanogen after I installed it. With Cyanogen, that left me with 15mb memory left, with Oxygen I still had 100mb left!

17. Thanks to LosOjos from:

CyberNerd (17th February 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Oh....

2.3 has natural Apps2SD too, so no more faffing about.....Oh and wi-fi hotspot and tethering too!

Very nice build!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast