+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 71
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, How bricking my Desire has made me a ROM addict in Technical; Originally Posted by SimpleSi @aerospacemango I;ve got a Desire - I was just asking where you got your "stable" mod ...
  1. #31

    aerospacemango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Northants
    Posts
    1,994
    Thank Post
    283
    Thanked 249 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    295
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    @aerospacemango
    I;ve got a Desire - I was just asking where you got your "stable" mod from

    I would refute (in the nicest possible way) that 2.3 is ready for virgin modders to install
    (especially from 404 type links )

    And 2.2 is the big release that has all the main goodies lacking in <=2.1 - 2.3 is just a 2.2 SP2 type of thing

    Also, I'd argue that you can't access proxies on non-rooted 'droids - IT IS the biggest stick that everyone can beat us over the head with - even on Cyanogenmod 2.2 - its PPP - I an either switch it on or off - no auto assignment to school SSIDs vs home - its embarrasing

    Si
    Hi Si....

    You can go to the second batch of links, and find it all there.

    Sorry, but was under the impression you had a 540 too.

    This is the great thing about Android. Because it is open source, the 2.3 code has been released, so anyone can have a crack at it.

    Would that we could, I'd happily show you my working, and stable, 2.3 install.

    Also, just because you haven't seen it, doesn't mean it's not out there.....

  2. #32

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,447
    Thank Post
    1,438
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    Rep Power
    707
    @aerospacemango: are you using a transparent proxy at your place? Because with the exception of CyanogenMOD ROM, I've not seen a version of Android yet that will allow you to enter proxy settings anywhere...

  3. #33

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,447
    Thank Post
    1,438
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    Rep Power
    707
    Quote Originally Posted by aerospacemango View Post
    Hi Si....

    You can go to the second batch of links, and find it all there.

    Sorry, but was under the impression you had a 540 too.

    This is the great thing about Android. Because it is open source, the 2.3 code has been released, so anyone can have a crack at it.

    Would that we could, I'd happily show you my working, and stable, 2.3 install.

    Also, just because you haven't seen it, doesn't mean it's not out there.....
    The Gingerbread ROMS (for Desire anyway) aren't considered stable yet. Although the source has been out for a while, there are device specific intricacies that various modders have had varying levels of success ironing out (video recording is the one thing not working on Oxygen 2.0 for instance). When the official ROM for a device is released, that's when modders can get their hands on a 100% working version of Android to play with - it is only at that point ROMs are really considered to be stable releases.

    That being said, that doesn't necessarily mean "unstable" (usually referred to as release candidates) aren't perfectly usable

  4. #34

    Domino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bromley
    Posts
    4,126
    Thank Post
    215
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    505
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    @aerospacemango
    I;ve got a Desire - I was just asking where you got your "stable" mod from

    I would refute (in the nicest possible way) that 2.3 is ready for virgin modders to install
    (especially from 404 type links )

    And 2.2 is the big release that has all the main goodies lacking in <=2.1 - 2.3 is just a 2.2 SP2 type of thing

    Also, I'd argue that you can't access proxies on non-rooted 'droids - IT IS the biggest stick that everyone can beat us over the head with - even on Cyanogenmod 2.2 - its PPP - I an either switch it on or off - no auto assignment to school SSIDs vs home - its embarrasing

    Si
    Cyanogen 7 RC1 is out now for the desire Si, that's Gingerbread based. [OFFICIAL] CyanogenMod 7 for Desire (GSM) :: V7.0.0-RC1 (2/15/2011) - CyanogenMod Forum

    With a cache and settings wipe its been fine for me so far, and that's the general feeling in the forums too.

    Do a nandroid backup beforehand, and give it a go :-)

  5. #35

    aerospacemango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Northants
    Posts
    1,994
    Thank Post
    283
    Thanked 249 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    295
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    @aerospacemango: are you using a transparent proxy at your place? Because with the exception of CyanogenMOD ROM, I've not seen a version of Android yet that will allow you to enter proxy settings anywhere...
    Nope....and even when I first bought the phone, on 1.6, I could still get onto the network, and out to the web....Not a problem.

    This is down to the use of Port 80, which I assume is blocked at YOUR schools/colleges?

    I'm guessing your proxies are running through 8080?

    If so, then there is your answer!

  6. #36

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,447
    Thank Post
    1,438
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    Rep Power
    707
    Quote Originally Posted by aerospacemango View Post
    Nope....and even when I first bought the phone, on 1.6, I could still get onto the network, and out to the web....Not a problem.

    This is down to the use of Port 80, which I assume is blocked at YOUR schools/colleges?

    I'm guessing your proxies are running through 8080?

    If so, then there is your answer!
    But how do you enter the proxy settings on the device? On HTC Desire, there is nowhere to enter the settings at all

  7. #37

    aerospacemango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Northants
    Posts
    1,994
    Thank Post
    283
    Thanked 249 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    295
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    Cyanogen 7 RC1 is out now for the desire Si, that's Gingerbread based. [OFFICIAL] CyanogenMod 7 for Desire (GSM) :: V7.0.0-RC1 (2/15/2011) - CyanogenMod Forum

    With a cache and settings wipe its been fine for me so far, and that's the general feeling in the forums too.

    Do a nandroid backup beforehand, and give it a go :-)
    Yep.....

    This 2.3 build is on the back of Cyano 7....

    I would ask you ALL to check forums etc before you come out firing

    I'm happy that MY 540 has a STABLE build on it.....This was worked on by a Hungarian developer.....who now has many fans, for his work!

  8. #38

    aerospacemango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Northants
    Posts
    1,994
    Thank Post
    283
    Thanked 249 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    295
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    But how do you enter the proxy settings on the device? On HTC Desire, there is nowhere to enter the settings at all
    I DON'T have to enter proxy settings!

    I can, now, if I want to....but there is no NEED to!

  9. #39

    Domino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bromley
    Posts
    4,126
    Thank Post
    215
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    505
    Little-Miss can join in the fun now too: HTC Wildfire - CyanogenMod Forum

    Will have to install it for the girlfriend, she bought a wildfire on monday, it lasted a day before being rooted and CM6 installed

  10. #40

    aerospacemango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Northants
    Posts
    1,994
    Thank Post
    283
    Thanked 249 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    295
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    When the official ROM for a device is released, that's when modders can get their hands on a 100% working version of Android to play with
    I would disagree with that statement, Los.

    The Gingerbread source has been released to developers. The only reason that "Official" ROMs take so long is because of the branding and the bloatware that goes on each build. This is the TRUE reason for the delays.

    The code IS out there, and from day 1 there have been developers working on it.

    Yes, you run the risk of bricking your phone.....but that's why I came into IT, was to learn how to do stuff like this!

    Had you seen the panic in my eyes, when I almost bricked my phone, you would ask if it's worth it.....When you see a stable build running on your phone....you know it IS worth it!!!

  11. #41

    aerospacemango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Northants
    Posts
    1,994
    Thank Post
    283
    Thanked 249 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    295
    Can I suggest a little light reading on this forum?

    Android Forums & Windows Phone Discussion @ xda-developers

    This seems to be where most of the big developing is going on.

    Who knows? You may find a stable build there for your phone! (That sentence is aimed at no-one....and everyone!!)

  12. #42

    Domino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bromley
    Posts
    4,126
    Thank Post
    215
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    505
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Let us know how you get on

    The thing I love about Oxygen (the ROM, although the actual stuff is pretty handy too!) is that it's tiny! I immediately installed all of the apps I had when I was usuing Cyanogen after I installed it. With Cyanogen, that left me with 15mb memory left, with Oxygen I still had 100mb left!
    Note for desire users - if you fancy more app space, you can try a full alpharev S-OFF root, which allows you to flash a different partition table. AlphaRev 1.8

    Effectively reducing the cache but increasing the app space.

    You'll need the android SDK on your PC, but it is worth it

  13. Thanks to Domino from:

    SimpleSi (17th February 2011)

  14. #43

    SimpleSi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    5,808
    Thank Post
    1,476
    Thanked 592 Times in 444 Posts
    Rep Power
    168
    You'll need the android SDK on your PC, but it is worth it
    Very tempting as I'm now back at the point of having to delete something to let me continue installing my version of barcode scanner and I want to keep everything I've got!

    Is it a non-destructive process - app/data wise ?

    Si

  15. #44

    Domino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bromley
    Posts
    4,126
    Thank Post
    215
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    505
    errr, good question

    I think it is, but at the time I did mine I was flashing a new ROM anyway so I can't tell you for sure as I blew away all my data then anyway

  16. #45

    SimpleSi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    5,808
    Thank Post
    1,476
    Thanked 592 Times in 444 Posts
    Rep Power
    168
    I was flashing a new ROM anyway so I can't tell you for sure as I blew away all my data then anyway
    Its not a toy you know

    I'm starting to think we'll all need 2 - one for playing with and one to actually use

    Si

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. htc desire / desire hd text message notifcation
    By timbo343 in forum Netbooks, PDA and Phones
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 4th January 2011, 09:47 AM
  2. Virtual CD-ROM
    By jcs808 in forum Windows
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 5th November 2010, 09:22 AM
  3. [Website] Virtual CD Rom
    By DaveP in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29th September 2009, 03:37 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 6th May 2008, 01:53 PM
  5. dvd rom
    By chrbb in forum Hardware
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 19th May 2006, 04:13 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •