+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, MS Lync 2010 in Technical; We're just looking at replacing our 15-20 year old Rhapsody phone system, and we're liking MS Lync at the moment. ...

Thank Post

MS Lync 2010

We're just looking at replacing our 15-20 year old Rhapsody phone system, and we're liking MS Lync at the moment.

I know a few of you are running Lync, so I was just wondering what your setups are? What are you using for a PSTN gateway? Are you just using a single standard server, or have you setup multiple pools to allow for some HA?

Currently we're looking at possibly a Audiocodes Mediant 1000 PSTN gateway together with either a single standard server (+ edge, archiving etc) or a front end pool to give us some form of HA. Servers would be running as VMs.

Phone wise we're looking at using a combination of Polycom CX300's, CX500's, CX600's and some wireless Jabra/Polycom headsets for admin staff and the soft client for lots of staff

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,236 Times in 784 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulfish View Post
    Servers would be running as VMs.
    Danger Will Robinson... Running in a Virtualized Environment

This topology includes a physical host server running one virtualized Lync Server 2010 Standard Edition server. You can also deploy an Edge Server (either physical or virtual), and Monitoring Server or Archiving Server (either physical or virtual). If you deploy either of these roles on a virtual server, that virtual server must be hosted on a physical server that is separate from the server hosting the Standard Edition server. You may also deploy a Director (physical only, not virtual).
    At least 4 cores per virtual machine running a Lync server role - that are constantly available JUST for that box. This is to use the Realtime codec translation.

After using OCS/Lync in anger in 6 offices, I can honestly say rolling out on physical hardware is a much easier option.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    Danger Will Robinson... Running in a Virtualized Environment

At least 4 cores per virtual machine running a Lync server role - that are constantly available JUST for that box. This is to use the Realtime codec translation.

After using OCS/Lync in anger in 6 offices, I can honestly say rolling out on physical hardware is a much easier option.
    Ahhha. I thought I remembered you mentioning something about realtime encoding and VMs for lync/OCS not working so well . May need to have a play with a couple of options, as with the latest Dell R715s we've deployed (24 cores ) it may be feasible to dedicate 4-cores. Although 2 x physical standard edition servers is looking the most likely option at the moment. Any idea what sort of spec we should be looking for? MS seem to indicate 4-cores + 16gb ram for each standard edition server to support 2k users and 100 people conferencing simultaneously. We'd only have 100 users, so I'm thinking 4-cores + 4-8gb RAM?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulfish View Post
    Ahhha. I thought I remembered you mentioning something about realtime encoding and VMs for lync/OCS not working so well . May need to have a play with a couple of options, as with the latest Dell R715s we've deployed (24 cores ) it may be feasible to dedicate 4-cores. Although 2 x physical standard edition servers is looking the most likely option at the moment. Any idea what sort of spec we should be looking for? MS seem to indicate 4-cores + 16gb ram for each standard edition server to support 2k users and 100 people conferencing simultaneously. We'd only have 100 users, so I'm thinking 4-cores + 4-8gb RAM?
    I'd still see if you could stretch to 12gb per box.

Lync will use everything it can get, so having breathing room is always a good option - you never know when those 100 people might all try to voice dial at once

Thank Post
    I'd still see if you could stretch to 12gb per box.

Lync will use everything it can get, so having breathing room is always a good option - you never know when those 100 people might all try to voice dial at once
    12gb it is . Any recommendations on PSTN gateways?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Not a Vega.

Just talk to Ric_ about that one

Really, the best bet is to look at the supported devices list - then go to the support forum for each manufacturer and see what their response to lync issues is like. It's still very new, so there's not a single gateway that's appeared as a leader yet.

That said, if you can SIP trunk to your exisiting phone system, you can stick up a TrixBox vm and let that do the conversion to allow the mediation service to talk to it - done it with great results in a couple of offices.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts
    Not a Vega.

Just talk to Ric_ about that one
    When he says talk to Ric_ he means if you don't mind listening to an olde worlde grammerphone record going click click click pop pop pop during the call.... Unless he has fixed that now as pre-BETT that was the call quality .

Thank Post

Lync Question

Can Lync be used for the messaging tied into exchange independent of a phone system?

Is the requirments for physical processing the same without voice?

Thank Post
    Yes it can, Our server is virtualised and with no a lot of use its fine with 5gb and 2 cores. The demand will be a lot less without voice.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread