+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Stream media from PC to Phone in Technical; Ever since getting my Sony BluRay player to play all my media files using Serviio as a DLNA server on ...

Thank Post

Stream media from PC to Phone

Ever since getting my Sony BluRay player to play all my media files using Serviio as a DLNA server on my computer, I've been unsucessfully trying to get a DLNA client working on my HTC Desire (with normal xvid/mp3 files) so I can watch any of my media on any of my devices (TV in living room/computer/phone).

I've just installed GMote with the idea of using the phone as a glorified tv remote and select files for playback on my computer

My computer outputs video to a VCR and the VCR output is distributed to all TVs in the house so I thought it would be a reasonable working alternative to my problem.

But its better than that

GMote has a beta feature to playback direct to the phone

And despite a warning that it won't work with normal avi files - it turns out it can use Rockplayer for playback which will pretty much play anything

I'll now be able to sit in living room with Princess Fiona seemingly watching Bargin Hunt but actually streaming Star Trek

Si
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 21st April 2011 at 04:57 PM.

2. Thanks to SimpleSi from:

TechSupp (23rd January 2011)

Thank Post
    Its got another cool experimental feature!
    Press menu and then Touchpad and you've got yourself a remote touchpad mouse - press keyboard at top left to type

Si

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I tried this program out about a year or so ago and it was terrible, trying it now and it is amazingly stable!

The play on phone feature needs a bit of work, ie. codec support. Good idea though.

Thank Post
    What a fantastic app! Nice one SimpleSi

Thank Post
    The play on phone feature needs a bit of work, ie. codec support
    When I ran it (HTC Desire) it gave me the option to select Rockplayer as the playback program and I can play xvid with mp3,mpeg1 with mp3 and xvid with ac3.

It wouldn't play an mkv file but I tried copying it to my sd card and rockplayer would only play it (in slow motion) if I enabled software decoding. So I don't blame it for not playing it as a stream

regards
    Simon

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    When I ran it (HTC Desire) it gave me the option to select Rockplayer as the playback program and I can play xvid with mp3,mpeg1 with mp3 and xvid with ac3.

It wouldn't play an mkv file but I tried copying it to my sd card and rockplayer would only play it (in slow motion) if I enabled software decoding. So I don't blame it for not playing it as a stream
    Indeed, it works if you use rockplayer, but that's a paid for ap unless you want to see ads.

Thank Post
    I tried playing a dvd vob and it said no

But when I renamed it to .mpg - it works fine

The main drawback for me is that you can't move seek back and forwards through the timeline - so its no good for casual viewing - you have to watch a file from he beginning

Si

Thank Post
    but that's a paid for app
    Nothing wrong in paying for something (or watching ads if short of funds like me)
    Si

Thank Post
    Right -I've got a handle on the problem of streaming mp4 to a 'droid.

Its relatively easy to use ffmpeg (the opensource encode of choice for geeks) to transcode an avi file using xvid/mp3 to an mp4 file.

(Basically the xvid data can just be passed straight through as its H.263 and the mp3 can be decoded and re-compressed as aac and that matches up with what 'droids will play back natively )

If you get this .mp4 file across to a 'droid - it'll play fine

ffmpeg will do streaming (e.g realtime conversion) to mp4 so what's the problem you say.

The problem is that an mp4 file contains useful info at the end of the file (called the MOV atom) to help out with seeking in the file.

So streaming can't work (unless you wait for the whole file to be transcoded) as your mp4 player waits for the MOV atom data before playing the file

Technically, it should be possible to move the MOV atom data to the start of the file (but it would have to filled with dummy data) but the FFMpeg team haven't done this (and AFAICT they don't have any plans to do so)

To quote another poster in another forum
    I think I've read as much as possible about this and got nowhere. I'm surprised at how a task force could come together and engineer a container format with 'streaming' features that can't actually be live streamed. Madness.
    So unless someone writes a proprietary transcoder or can fiddle with ffmepg source, any streaming to a 'droid probably have to rely on using flash (like Orb ) or clients accepting other file formats and using a propriatary player to play them (like RockPlayer)

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,628 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    The problem is that an mp4 file contains useful info at the end of the file (called the MOOV atom) to help out with seeking in the file.
    If the videos were already MP4s (rather than being transcoded on-the-fly), you could use MP4Box, MOOVRelocator, AtomicParsley, QTFastStart.py or QTIndexSwapper to move your moov atom(s).

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,628 Times in 1,938 Posts
    I know I mentioned this in your other thread, but Mezzmo will put the MOOV atom in the correct place at the start of the MP4. Might be worth a try as a last resort?

Improved: MOOV atom optimization for streaming audio and video to Apple iPad, Apple iPhone, Motorola Droid X and Android-based devices. (Source)

Thank Post
    If the videos were already MP4s
    Sadly no - but starting to think about batch transcoding

Mezzmo will put the MOOV atom in the correct place at the start of the MP4.
    Didn't realise it had a 15 day trial - I've given it a go but can't find a device profile that works (and if you check the forums it would seem that the technical people are having difficulties in matching the marketing men's statements )

Are you using it? And with what handset?

Si

Thank Post
    I've found an app that works as a DLNA client - UPnPlay (available via market).

If you've got Rockplayer Rock Player - Redirect Intelligence Corp installed it let you stream videos to your 'droid just like GMote but with the ability to FF/RW/move to wherever you want in the timeline (whereas Gmote only let you set forward so it wasn't good if you wanted to restart a video half way thru )

You need a DLNA server on your PC as well (I use Serviio)

So I can finally playback videos in the kitchen on my phone (I'm not allowed a TV in there - banned 10 years ago when the kids wouldn't eat properly at breakfast/teatime ) or when I'm ironing on a Sunday in the laundry room!

Si

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread