+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Root Apps in Technical; I know the whole Android apps thread has been done before, but I want this to be slightly different; I ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 857 Posts

Root Apps

I know the whole Android apps thread has been done before, but I want this to be slightly different; I want to know which root only apps you couldn't live without.

I've just purchased the full version of Titanium Backup and linked it to my Dropbox; backup heaven!
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 21st April 2011 at 06:43 PM.

Thank Post
    Browsix - is a brilliant html front to your phones memory and files, you can even view root if needed. Has a great page for viewing your photo's etc via Wifi or (Bluetooth?)

Samba Filesharing - great app that turns your phone into a NAS drive, great if you forgot your cable and super fast browing and down/up loading via WiFi or (Bluetooth?)

SECuRET Livestream - great app to view your phones camera from your PC in great quaulity via wifi, 3g or BT.

Camera 360 Ultimate - I think you can only use this with root. Its the best camera app I have found for android, amazing features like stability control, tilt focus, HDR (simulation), higher ISO, seems to take and save much better quality images than the stock camera UI

How about yourself? you did not mention any apps that you use that need root apart from dropbox and TB LosOjos

3. 2 Thanks to JAB1a:

Arthur (21st January 2011), LosOjos (21st January 2011)

Thank Post
    Some good suggestions there, I'll take a peek!

I don't think Dropbox needs root, but TB does.

One I have found incredibly useful is SetCPU - it allows you to overclock or restrict your phones processor, and lets you set up profiles. For instance, I have mine set up to boost my 1Ghz up to about 1.3Ghz when I'm using it. When the screen is turned off (i.e. it's not being used apart from background apps), the speed is limited to 600Mhz, and also limited to the same once battery drops below 20%. The advantage is a much extended battery life and better performance, love it! Best of all, it's free! (BTW, I have nothing to do with the app just in case that read like an advert lol, I just really am impressed with it)

Thank Post
    Don't suppose either of you know of any apps that allow you to enter proxy details do you?

It appears to have been quite an oversight by google according to various forums, and seems a stupid thing to miss out.

Edit: I believe my question has been answered. http://www.edugeek.net/forums/networ...xy-droids.html

;-)
    Last edited by AyatollahPies; 21st January 2011 at 04:56 PM.

Thank Post
    hmm i have been interested with SetCPU, but from my experiences from windows mobile with CPU govenors is that things start to get unstable realy quickly, but of course we are talking about a whole different kettle of fish when it comes to Android. My fear is how does your phone act when its under continuous strain (say you are installing a huge app) and then the screen locks half way during the installation and then you turn the screen back on to see if the install has finished, so your phone was running at 120% then suddenly at 60% then back to 120% under a huge load which used to make WM crash or install apps but with memory leaks etc. I would like to hear your experience with it and i might give it a go.

I do like the idea, I have seen some posts on XDA where they are saying take it down as low a 250Mhz on standby.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AyatollahPies View Post
    Don't suppose either of you know of any apps that allow you to enter proxy details do you?

It appears to have been quite an oversight by google according to various forums, and seems a stupid thing to miss out.

Edit: I believe my question has been answered. http://www.edugeek.net/forums/networ...xy-droids.html

;-)
    Don't know of any apps (at least ones that work) but if you're going to root your phone anyway, I highly recommend CyanogenMOD ROM - lots of improvements over stock Android, and the ADWLauncher or LauncherPro are damn good replacements for HTC Sense (if that's what you're used to), but most importantly - proxy support as standard!

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1a View Post
    hmm i have been interested with SetCPU, but from my experiences from windows mobile with CPU govenors is that things start to get unstable realy quickly, but of course we are talking about a whole different kettle of fish when it comes to Android. My fear is how does your phone act when its under continuous strain (say you are installing a huge app) and then the screen locks half way during the installation and then you turn the screen back on to see if the install has finished, so your phone was running at 120% then suddenly at 60% then back to 120% under a huge load which used to make WM crash or install apps but with memory leaks etc. I would like to hear your experience with it and i might give it a go.

I do like the idea, I have seen some posts on XDA where they are saying take it down as low a 250Mhz on standby.
    So far so good for me, I've been using it for almost a month and haven't noticed any adverse side effects as with any overclocking though, you do of course have to be careful of overheating - handy then that you can set up a profile to reduce the speed when the temperature gets too high

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread