+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Which set of Netbooks for a Primary School? in Technical; We are looking to purchase 15 netbooks running Windows 7 Professional. I have my eye on the Samsung NC10 but ...

Thank Post

Which set of Netbooks for a Primary School?

We are looking to purchase 15 netbooks running Windows 7 Professional.

I have my eye on the Samsung NC10 but am aware that it is quite an old model now.

Any recommendations?

Many thanks!

Thank Post
    the samsung NB30 is a rugged netbook very suitible for primaries and alike,

A durable netbook, inside and out. - NB30 10.1" Durable Netbook - Netbooks - Notebook Computers | SAMSUNG

hope that helps

Thank Post
    Cheers TopBanana they look to be quite rugged.

Looks like I will need to purchase separate Win7 Pro licenses as all the netbooks I have seen only come supplied with XP Home or Win7 Starter.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    Cheers TopBanana they look to be quite rugged.

Looks like I will need to purchase separate Win7 Pro licenses as all the netbooks I have seen only come supplied with XP Home or Win7 Starter.
    I am quite sure there isnt a netbook out there that comes with pro licences fella

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,478 Times in 1,921 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We've just received 5 of those netbooks and they have a nice, almost rubberised, outer shell. The keyboard, like all netbook keyboards, is ideally suited to younger people, as their hands are smaller. My fudgy fingers have a habit of mashing multiple keys at once.

The screen is clear and bright, and overall the machine is nice and nippy (we run XP Pro on them, as we're stuck in the dark ages still).

My only issue is that the trackpad isn't the best in the world. It sometimes causes the mouse to jump when trying to click the left button - but then, we always provide mini-laptop mice with our netbooks, as it is easier for kids to use.

Oh, and if you do get some, so that you don't get confused like me - the on/off switch is at the front on the right. Not used to that myself, lol.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TopBanana View Post
    I am quite sure there isnt a netbook out there that comes with pro licences fella
    Might need to carry out some more research. The Fizzbook Spin can be purchased with W7Pro

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RingOfFlame View Post
    Might need to carry out some more research. The Fizzbook Spin can be purchased with W7Pro
    fair comment there ROF , I stand corrected lol

Thank Post
    We just got 16 Samsung N130 (wireless N) for our Junior school in a cabinet and are very pleased after a very poor experience with Fizzbooks.
    The school had bought 10 fizzbook bangs (before my arrival) but 8 of them have died of hard drive failure and support from Zoostorm has been very poor. Admittedly only one of these was reported within the years warranty but they had never worked very well and I personally belive that is an unacceptable failure rate. Apparently the Spins are much better but once bitten....
    The N130s have an 8 hour battery claim which seems to be a realistic 5 hours of actual use and the kids love them plus they are treated as 'proper' laptops whereas the Bangs were a little too toy-like which may have speeded their demise. I paid £205 each plus £31.00 win 7 Pro upgrade.
    Only issue so far is intermittent Server lost trust relationship which will hopefully go away once we move to S2008RC2....

Thank Post
    Got quite a few NC10's and just set up 40 N130's. I like them (have a nb30 touchscreen myself as well). Battery life has yet to be a problem and so far no problems. If imaging them dont make the same mistake I did and install the wireless utility, just install the driver only and all should be OK. We upgraded (well reinstalled from scratch) win xp pro on the main one before imaging.

Thank Post
    Go for the Asus 1005PE they have over 9 hours battery life and you can pick them up for approx £230 at the minute. They run the N450 CPU, 1GB ram, 10.1" LCD and Wireless N

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,411 Times in 1,695 Posts
    Reviving this thread...
    The crunch moment has come - the boss wants to order a set of...something..for the children to use. We need 'proper' computers, not pads, slates or whatever so they need to be able to go onto the school domain etc. We have a Ruckus wireless network and the boss is longing to use it properly.
    I am tempted by the Samsung NB30, but open to other suggestions.
    Someone tell me what to buy!!

Thank Post
    We have just ordered our 3 set of Toshiba NB250s and finding them very good indeed.
    Support from our supplier and in turn Toshiba is very good and we have only had a couple of problems which when I've seen first hand just how badly they are treated, is very good indeed.

Thank Post
    We got a batch of 30 nb250's from CBC which are great, you can get the CBC 3 year swap out warranty fairly cheap too - if it can't be repaired they send you the latest model in the line.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,411 Times in 1,695 Posts
    Just to clarify - this is a junior school so the children are Year 3 to Year 6. The netbooks need to be as tough as possible. I am OK with getting mice as the trackpads are hard for small children to manipulate. Would the Toshiba NB250s be robust enough?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Just to clarify - this is a junior school so the children are Year 3 to Year 6. The netbooks need to be as tough as possible. I am OK with getting mice as the trackpads are hard for small children to manipulate. Would the Toshiba NB250s be robust enough?
    We are a primary school, so go from Year 1 to year 6.From what I've seen, the children find the slightly smaller trackpads and keyboards a bit easier to use as it's faster and suits their finger size better.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast